Burnt out, Lost Job, Can I/we Retire Now?

oaklanding

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hello,

I have just joined this forum, and I’ve really valued the thoughtful insight that others have provided on whether they think someone has enough to retire.

I am now asking for insight to help confirm my thought that I can retire now or perhaps my wife and I could retire now together. I'm not a math whiz, so your insight would be very much appreciated.

I recently lost my job. I’m 51, and I’m burnt out. Previous to the job loss I was thinking of retiring. I'd like to have the flexibility to retire or do something enjoyable and most likely for less pay. I like the idea of having time as my life gets shorter. I'm a cancer survivor. My mom died at 59 of cancer, which runs in my family.

Below is an overview of our finances. I’ve run them numerous ways through Firecalc, Fidelity Planner, T.D. Ameritrade’s planner, and other calculators. Annual spending calculator inputs of $120,000 to $140,000 (which include taxes and the purchase of health insurance if needed for 14 years until I/and my spouse qualify for Medicare) per year through age 100 makes the cut with a few million left over. My Firecalc calculations don't include inputs of SS or any possible pension from wife.

Our current annual spending is $100,000 (not including taxes or paying for healthcare if we need to before Medicare).

Total Investable Assets: $5.6 M, (broken down below) Spouse and I anticipate taking SS at 70, with each getting payment of approx. $4,000 per month.

Our current asset allocation: 90% stocks, 7% bonds, 3% cash.

My wife is 55 and may continue to work until 62 when she’d qualify for a monthly pension of $1,900 per month. She makes $145,000 annually. I’d love to have her have the gift of early retirement if she wants it. Her pension, of course, would decrease, but I think we could live comfortably without it.

Taxable Account: $2.3 M, with three years of expenses in cash/bonds to help us navigate a bear market and not sell stock low. This account also throws off about $34,000 in dividends annually.

401Ks: $2.1 M (portion of this is in Roth 401K)

Roth IRAs: $1.2 M

529 Plan: $172,000 (this is for our one child who has three more years of private high school; the 529 will be directed to his college years.

House: paid off, worth $860,000

Do you think my wife and I could safely retire now based on what I've shared?

Thank you!

Last edited:
You are definitely good to go. Even including a discounted SS for both and no pension, you could spend at least double than your budget.
Time is more valuable than money at this stage in life with your portfolio. How often have you read posts in this forum that I should have retired LATER?
Your stock allocation is on the high side for retirement living, so perhaps look at that aspect a little closer.

Thanks for that. I've read that post, but there's something about getting insights from others on this board that's so helpful.

Thanks for that. I've read that post, but there's something about getting insights from others on this board that's so helpful.

I'm sure that's the case, but don't you want to go beyond relying on the input of a bunch of strangers on the internet? I know this bunch :) and some of them aren't playing with a full deck. :LOL:

I know this bunch :) and some of them aren't playing with a full deck. :LOL:

Hey. Getting a bit personal there, aren’t you fella ? :)

As KA would say “Lookest thee in thine mirror and seeeth what thou truly art, methinks. Yea verily”.

Do you think my wife and I could safely retire now based on what I've shared?
Check out the link by REWahoo, then run your numbers through FIRECalc. Eyeballing the data in your post, it’ll probably say 100%.

Hint: you retire and encourage the wife to keep working. I retired five years before my wife and those "free" week days were fantastic!!!

Hint: you retire and encourage the wife to keep working. I retired five years before my wife and those "free" week days were fantastic!!!
Free starts with the same letter as another word that he's likely to hear if he does that. Also, his days will be anything but free, since they'll fill up with all of the household chores that they've been splitting over the years.

That said, there is no reason for OP to chase after another j*b at this time, provided healthcare isn't an issue.

Your numbers are almost identical to mine. In fact, our respective situations are so eerily similar that I had to wonder if I had a doppelgänger :)

In any case, I just retired last month and so can you! My wife is still working and we get our health insurance through her for the time being. When she eventually retires, we will switch to the ACA marketplace.

You are definitely good to go. Even including a discounted SS for both and no pension, you could spend at least double than your budget.
Time is more valuable than money at this stage in life with your portfolio. How often have you read posts in this forum that I should have retired LATER?
Your stock allocation is on the high side for retirement living, so perhaps look at that aspect a little closer.
Thanks Dtail! I get so scared about not being prepared or running out of money after being a saver forever.

Yes. You could have retired years ago. As someone mentioned above, you could probably double your expected spending.

If your budget numbers are accurate, you are in good shape. Your current AA may want to go bit more conservative, although your 3 year cash bucket is going to mitigate some of that risk. Just remember those three words "stay fully invested" and don't panic sell if market drops.

Your biggest risk is health ins, as those costs are certainly not going to go down form now until you are 65 for medicare helping control costs. Being cancer survivor, you need to be especially careful with coverage.

Enjoy your time home with your kid for 3 years. It sucks losing your job, but sounds like you were not very happy there. Biggest issue will be the adjustment.

OP - You can retire. But instead be unemployed and collect UI while you "Look" for another job.

Only odd thing sticking out in your description is:
"529 Plan: $172,000 (this is for our one child who has three more years of private high school)"

What happens after high school :confused: ,
and is private high school really that expensive , I never knew there was such a thing.

Yes.

"Taxable Account: $2.3 M, with three years of expenses in cash/bonds to help us navigate a bear market and not sell stock low."
I would change 3 to 5 and sleep a bit better at night.

"I'm a cancer survivor."
Me too, but thankfully, only colon cancer. And, it was 7 years ago.
Retire. Enjoy life.

Last edited:
"I'm a cancer survivor."
Me too, but thankfully, only colon cancer. And, it was 7 years ago.
Retire. Enjoy life.

Off topic: See bold above. Just a comment that we are fortunate to be able to say words like these. I have several friends that have lived many years after colon cancer, thanks to our current medical technology.

OP - You can retire. But instead be unemployed and collect UI while you "Look" for another job.

Only odd thing sticking out in your description is:
"529 Plan: $172,000 (this is for our one child who has three more years of private high school)"

What happens after high school :confused: ,
and is private high school really that expensive , I never knew there was such a thing.
Hi Sunset, sorry, I meant to say that the 529 is for college. Our son is a freshman in high school. His high school tuition will come out of our savings.

Free starts with the same letter as another word that he's likely to hear if he does that. Also, his days will be anything but free, since they'll fill up with all of the household chores that they've been splitting over the years.

That said, there is no reason for OP to chase after another j*b at this time, provided healthcare isn't an issue.

I would get up with my wife every morning, make her lunch for the day. I would spend a couple of hours doing laundry, housework, yard work. By 9 or 10 off to the golf course, gun range...whatever I wanted. When she came home, I had dinner ready. Never a complaint!

Looks good to me. However, your SS estimates may a bit high assuming you stop working now.
Told you my math skills were bad. I just re-ran this in SSA calculator and retiring now would lower my SS at 70 by about $500 per month. I think, though, I could live with that by enjoying life more.

holy smokes, you have way more than enough. Plug your information into Firecalc and see how much above $100K you can spend and still stay at 100%. My swag is $200K-$225K. If you want to pull the ripcord, you've got plenty of parachute.

Told you my math skills were bad. I just re-ran this in SSA calculator and retiring now would lower my SS at 70 by about $500 per month. I think, though, I could live with that by enjoying life more.

I agree. You'll be fine even without SS. At that point, it's just "fun" money.

I would get up with my wife every morning, make her lunch for the day. I would spend a couple of hours doing laundry, housework, yard work. By 9 or 10 off to the golf course, gun range...whatever I wanted. When she came home, I had dinner ready. Never a complaint!
Sounds blissful. It's a shame more husband's don't do the same. We might live longer without the stress of w*rking.

Back
Top Bottom