Business Travel

inquisitive

Recycles dryer sheets
I am flying to another state for a week and am trying to figure out how to get it to qualify as business travel under the IRS guidelines so I can deduct the cost of transportation.

I'm flying out on a Tuesday and returning on a Monday. Except those days and weekends I was planning on attending conferences in my line of work but I just found out that it has to be 6 hours long and I need to attend 2/3 of it to qualify. Most of the expert presentations are only a few hours a day.

What strategies have you used for business travel? I read somewhere that just setting up business appointments is enough to qualify?

No one has claimed tax deductions for travel expenses?

I did some reading on the subject and as far as I know, if I travel to attend any educational lectures/conferences that is as least as reasonable as being in another location than in my hometown, I can take a deduction. I do not think that the educational activities need to be a certain percentage of my trip, is this right?

Is it possible to edit posts here? I don't think my initial one made sense.

My business travel is all business. Company pays for it. Fully tax deductible. Might be different if it was not all business. If I was an individual or sole prop trying to get a bus. deduction, I would make sure 6hrs a day or more were really business. ...and well documented as business, in case of audit. Its not wise to mess around with your great uncle and his demands for tribute. My uncle did, and ended up losing his home, his cars, his business, his life savings. They did let him keep the shirt he was wearing.

R

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom