Buying Adjacent Lot—Buildable?

I spoke with a contact (who mentored DD) at a high-quality engineering/geology firm nearby. He's going to have an engineer take a look at the lot and give us a verbal opinion for about $500.

Good start. But will he have access to the property? In any event, he can give you a professional opinion of the possibility of building on it. Unless he finds a glaring reason, expect an opinion of something like 75%/25%, one way or the other.

But it is doubtful he can give you a definitive answer on septic without a perk test and a complete inspection of the property.

If your current house is too big (like you stated earlier), why not just use your time and money to find a new place rather than dealing with this overgrown, cliffed, and possibly unbuildable, high-priced lot? :confused:

Right. Dealing with a new neighbor from hell and even before this most recent issue, we've been saying, "God is telling us to move."

But we like being right close to the beach. Lena walks on the beach probably 5-6 times a week, and I go running there once a week. We walk across the street and sit on the bluff often.

2teb3RN.png

I tell myself that every house has its advantages and disadvantages. We're exploring our options.

Right. Dealing with a new neighbor from hell and even before this most recent issue, we've been saying, "God is telling us to move."

But we like being right close to the beach. Lena walks on the beach probably 5-6 times a week, and I go running there once a week. We walk across the street and sit on the bluff often.

2teb3RN.png

I tell myself that every house has its advantages and disadvantages. We're exploring our options.

That is one HUGE advantage! I doubt you can downsize and have that same access.

Does your lot, and the one for sale, come with any access privileges? Some one may well pay a premium for the access, even if they cannot build.

Does your lot, and the one for sale, come with any access privileges? Some one may well pay a premium for the access, even if they cannot build.

That bluff area is open to the public. There were houses on it before, but they either fell into the ocean or were moved across the street. It erodes 1 foot per year (in big bunches).

Zillow estimates it's worth $13K (not reliable).

That would be a reasonable start for a low ball offer. Make the seller prove that the lot is worth what they are asking, they should contribute to any cost proving the lot is buildable. Should also get a feel for what the current and post sale property taxes will be like. The accessed value of the lot (and property taxes) could increase significantly if you purchase it at anywhere near the asking price.

In that area of the country, it is so green that I think one can actually have too many trees. I think I would like a more open lot around my home so I had more sunshine for warmth. Also I would want room for a ground-mounted solar array. Can one have too much electricity there? Just think of all the dehumidifiers you can run full-blast through the day.

In that area of the country, it is so green that I think one can actually have too many trees. I think I would like a more open lot around my home so I had more sunshine for warmth. Also I would want room for a ground-mounted solar array. Can one have too much electricity there? Just think of all the dehumidifiers you can run full-blast through the day.

Quite right. What people do is get a variance and cut down all the trees.

No. Not all the trees! Just enough to get your home some sunlight to kill the mold and mildew, and to get your solar array to produce.

That bluff area is open to the public. There were houses on it before, but they either fell into the ocean or were moved across the street. It erodes 1 foot per year (in big bunches).

Well then, that rules out some buying just for rights, and not to build. And having that within walking distance is a big attraction.

I spoke with a contact (who mentored DD) at a high-quality engineering/geology firm nearby. He's going to have an engineer take a look at the lot and give us a verbal opinion for about $500.

Yes... IF the engineer has done work in the same jurisdiction. The rules can vary widely.

Of course, with enough $$ to offset all the environmental impacts there aren't many places you can't build. It's just a matter of the time and money you want to put into the project.

Back
Top Bottom