Buying food for the holidays ahead of time because...

The conventional wisdom is that the larger packages will be cheaper per unit. Usually they are, but not always.

I've noticed this a lot with ketchup. We always buy Heinz (except during a brief period in 2004, I can't recall why:) ) and medium-sized bottles are frequently less expensive per oz. than some of the larger sizes. Luckily, Kroger does show unit (e.g. per oz) pricing on most items, so one just has to remember to look.

The last few years we've been traveling on Thanksgiving but this year we are going to my Sister's and I only have to bring dessert . I miss making the huge spread but I'll get the chance on Christmas .

....Luckily, Kroger does show unit (e.g. per oz) pricing on most items, so one just has to remember to look.

That's another thing I like about Krogers, and our local IGA is the same way. I look at those shelf tags all the time now....and the 'per lb' labels on the meat too! Those sneaky little buggers sometimes try to fool ya! ;)

This is a slight digression, but the posts above reminded me of one of my pet peeves. I'm a diet soft drink drinker, and I've noticed a lot of stores (Costco, BJs, Harris Teeter) do their unit pricing in a way meant to confuse and limit comparison. They'll price (for example) Pepsi products by the ounce and Coke products by the pint. Or quart vs. gallon, or something. Just a way to make you not be able to easily compare the prices. Also, the warehouse stores will sell Coke in a 32 can set, and Pepsi in a 24. Obviously these obstacles can be overcome with concerted brain power or a calculator, but what's the point of listing unit pricing if you're working so hard to make it meaningless? :mad:

Harley, I've done a few restaurant Thanksgiving dinners.

Loved them!

Eat, talk, eat, talk, walk away from the mess.

No leftovers to either tempt or annoy afterwards, either!

ta,
mew

Back
Top Bottom