Calculator for MAGI for ACA purposes

Note Cost Sharing Reductions (CSR) and Premium Tax Credit (PTC) are two distinct things under ACA.

CSRs - For those who purchase a Silver marketplace plan and whos MAGI is <250% of FPL, CSRs may apply. These serve to limit deductibles and out of pocket expenses. These would likely cause a health plan NOT to be a HDHP and a deductible HSA contribution would not be allowed.

PTCs - These are the subsidies available to help with insurance premiums to those who purchase a marketplace policy and have MAGI < 400% of FPL. I don't believe that receiving PTC would have any effect on HSAs.

I believe that the term, "cost sharing subsidies" used in this discussion is confusing these two issues.

Hope this helps.

-gauss

Last edited:
Determining if a plan qualifies as a High Deductible Plan can be confusing. Some policies that you might think qualify, actually don't. If you buy your health insurance on the federal exchange, you can see if a policy qualifies as a High Deductible Plan by looking at the plan details on the exchange.

You can only get cost-sharing subsidies on a silver plan, and I believe (though I could be wrong) that a silver plan deductible is not going to be high enough to qualify as an HSA plan.

I am fairly sure that there would not be any Silver Plans which would qualify to be an HSA plan, due in part to the high deductible needed.
My state has one insurer on the exchange. They offer 3 Silver HDHP Plans that are HSA eligible for those ineligible for CSR (250%+ FPL) or eligible for the smallest amount of CSR (200%-250% FPL aka CSR 73). They lose HSA eligibility below 200% FPL (CSR 87 and CSR 94) because the deductible drops below the threshold at that point.

HD Silver 5
HD Silver 6
HD Silver 13

My state has one insurer on the exchange. They offer 3 Silver HDHP Plans that are HSA eligible for those ineligible for CSR (250%+ FPL) or eligible for the smallest amount of CSR (200%-250% FPL aka CSR 73). They lose HSA eligibility below 200% FPL (CSR 87 and CSR 94) because the deductible drops below the threshold at that point.

HD Silver 5
HD Silver 6
HD Silver 13

Interesting. Didn't know this concept existed for Silver plans anywhere. Learn something new everyday.:blush:

You can only get cost-sharing subsidies on a silver plan, and I believe (though I could be wrong) that a silver plan deductible is not going to be high enough to qualify as an HSA plan.

Be a little careful trying to estimate HSA compatibility based on deductible. Deductible is a necessary, but not sufficient condition for determining HSA compatibility.

Also, you do need to make sure the starting silver plan is HSA compatible before CSR.

On my exchange there are numerous plans with very high deductibles (silver included) that are not HSA compatible. The HSA plan I have this year has lower deductibles than some of the bronze and silver plans that are not HSA compatible.

There are conditions for HSA plans about when the plan pays the first $ sans the required well care... IIRC.

Be a little careful trying to estimate HSA compatibility based on deductible. Deductible is a necessary, but not sufficient condition for determining HSA compatibility.

Also, you do need to make sure the starting silver plan is HSA compatible before CSR.

On my exchange there are numerous plans with very high deductibles (silver included) that are not HSA compatible. The HSA plan I have this year has lower deductibles than some of the bronze and silver plans that are not HSA compatible.

There are conditions for HSA plans about when the plan pays the first $ sans the required well care... IIRC.
I wasn't estimating HSA compatibility. I was pointing out a disqualifying factor, which you can do on deductible alone.

HD Silver 5
HD Silver 6
HD Silver 13

Thank you for this information!!! I thought I had seen others post that they had HSA silver plans available, but wasn't sure - especially when I didn't see any the last time I checked what was available in my state.

I have seen silver plans that were HSA compatible offered on the exchange in previous years when we had multiple insurers but now that we have only one (BCBS) there are only 4 plans to choose from and only one (bronze) is HSA compatible.

That's correct (about CSR'd plans), and in many areas you're only going to see Bronze plans that are HSA-eligible.

Back
Top Bottom