Called a Plumber

I have a $50 an hour rule. I estimate how many hours it would take me to do something I have never had to do before, screw it up while learning how to do it, and then hire somebody to fix the mess I made during the learning process. Then I find out how much a professional would charge. If it works out to less than $50 per hour of my estimated time, the job gets hired.

I'm even a good painter, but it took me 10 hours to paint a bathroom that the contractor was going to charge me $400 to paint. And he would've done the ceiling, whereas I gave up because my neck hurt, and left it the way it was.

Replacing the valve ass'y in the tank is a fairly easy job. That is until you go to shut off the water supply valve and it hasn't been turned in 20 years and won't shut off the water. Or if it will shut off the water, the 20 year old packing on the stem will leak when you turn it back on. Been there. Done that.

+1 had this problem a couple months ago. On top of it all, it was a very stormy night and could not get a plumber out. Had to turn off the water to the whole house and pay the plumber $200. to replace the shut off valve in the morning plus about another $150. for "service fee" and to replace the toilet innards. My arthritis plus Mr. Murphy makes repairs even easy ones difficult for me now.

This thread is a hoot. I can't count the number of toilet repairs that I have made. Only had one issue... on the last one that I did at my Mom's the very last half turn installing the toilet back to the floor after tiling I cracked the base but luckily not enough to leak so no major disaster.

BCG, does you Mom have another bathroom that she can use until Monday or Wednesday?

A while back I bought a landlord pack of toilet innards... so I have some spares. This was useful when I woke up at 4am and heard water running.
One thing to watch out for is the use of chlorine based toilet cleaners that work from the take... we use to call them bleach pucks... not the real name. These would either lie in the bottom of the tank or in a little plastic holder. The issue is that these harm some of the replacement parts for toilets... mainly gaskets and seals. This makes them deform and and become hard.... not compliant. Fixing this will require a complete rebuild to replace all gaskets. The most involved is the seal/gasket connecting the tank to the bowl. This can be done by simple DIY... but is more involved that a flapper or valve.

.............. on the last one that I did at my Mom's the very last half turn installing the toilet back to the floor after tiling I cracked the base but luckily not enough to leak so no major disaster ..............
Yea, that last turn is a tough one. Too loose and it rocks, too tight, and it cracks.

Last edited:
A while back I bought a landlord pack of toilet innards... so I have some spares. This was useful when I woke up at 4am and heard water running.
One thing to watch out for is the use of chlorine based toilet cleaners that work from the take... we use to call them bleach pucks... not the real name. These would either lie in the bottom of the tank or in a little plastic holder. The issue is that these harm some of the replacement parts for toilets... mainly gaskets and seals. This makes them deform and and become hard.... not compliant. Fixing this will require a complete rebuild to replace all gaskets. The most involved is the seal/gasket connecting the tank to the bowl. This can be done by simple DIY... but is more involved that a flapper or valve.

Note today the packs for at least float valves say never use the tablets or their warranty is voided. This is why the underbowl holders were invented.

Note today the packs for at least float valves say never use the tablets or their warranty is voided. This is why the underbowl holders were invented.

I never knew that. You learn something useful here every day!

Replacing the valve ass'y in the tank is a fairly easy job. That is until you go to shut off the water supply valve and it hasn't been turned in 20 years and won't shut off the water. Or if it will shut off the water, the 20 year old packing on the stem will leak when you turn it back on. Been there. Done that.

So true, had that happen to me, I've been replacing those valves with the 1/4 turn ones.

Also reminds me of when I replaced a tenants toilet flapper, a quick job, and the toilet stopped running, a week later I go traveling, and then get a call from tenant the toilet is running again. I called a plumber :(

You can buy a whole new toilet for less than $100 at Costco. They are only held to the floor with 2 bolts and a wax ring.
Yeah, that's what I thought also...
Replaced 2 toilets in a rental a few years back for that very reason (30 years old, why call a plumber to rebuild them when they are easy to replace, right?). Bought 2 at Home Depot, and installed. Renter called me 2 nights later and said BOTH would not stop running all night long. I tried adjusting but no dice. Called the plumber, $200 to "repair/rebuild". Went back to HD and showed plumber bill to mgr. He said they would refund the purchase price, but I WOULD NEED TO BRING THE TOILETS BACK FOR THE REFUND!!! I tried to explain the defective logic of that, but the best I could get was a $40 gift card for future purchases.

My point exactly.
I never knew that. You learn something useful here every day!
And this is why I posted that info. Many people don't.

I'm not sure if that rule was in place back in the 80's when I did my first one. But after you do a couple you don't always read the instructions after you do something a few times.

You can buy a whole new toilet for less than $100 at Costco. They are only held to the floor with 2 bolts and a wax ring.

Or you could be like the owner of the company my father works for...they just built a new house and the wife bought a $9,800 toilet for one of the many bathrooms.

Or you could be like the owner of the company my father works for...they just built a new house and the wife bought a $9,800 toilet for one of the many bathrooms.

Well, they are not called "thrones" for nothing. :D

This old gal replaced the innards in our powder room toilet a couple of summers ago. Kit was $17. I saved a fortune! Great bragging rights! I even ended up with extra parts....

Kind of a funny story , my nephew calls 3:00 PM in the afternoon yelling about his plumbing . He bought an older home and had it replumbed , I think to a tune of 7500.00 . He was hanging some thing on his wall and missed a stud and put a nail through his plumbing . I asked him what they replumbed his house with , he told me Pex Pipe . I told him to look where he put the nails in and cut it out and find the leak . Of course no I want it fixed NOW ! I told him find the leak go to HD buy a sharkbite maybe 10.00 and repair the hole . No he calls a plumber 395.00 dollars later it is fixed and he is fixing the hole in the sheetrock. The worse part he is a HS shop teacher.

Now you know what to get him for his birthday -- a stud finder!

Yes , he told me he had used a stud finder . He claimed he was in a hurry. Thank god for Pex Pipe . It has made a fool like me a plumber . No more soldering brass fittings . Just good old god given compression fittings.

Since my husband passed away 3 years ago youtube has become my best friend. For fixes that I know aren't major I check youtube and follow step by step. It's saved me quit a bit of money and made me feel self sufficient :)

Since my husband passed away 3 years ago youtube has become my best friend. For fixes that I know aren't major I check youtube and follow step by step. It's saved me quit a bit of money and made me feel self sufficient :)
+100
I wanted to remove the cross divider in our new refrigerator's freezer drawer. If it wasn't for the youtube video I would have never figured it out

This thread is a hoot. I can't count the number of toilet repairs that I have made. Only had one issue... on the last one that I did at my Mom's the very last half turn installing the toilet back to the floor after tiling I cracked the base but luckily not enough to leak so no major disaster.

BCG, does you Mom have another bathroom that she can use until Monday or Wednesday?

Yes but its down 1 flight, so not accessible:(.

OK Final update. About 11 PM last night I get a call from the plumber, he ran into a problem with a boiler he was doing emergency repairs on. Boiler repair in July? So he tells me if mom need the bathroom at night just pour a bucket full of water down it to flush. I
will be his 2nd customer of the morning. 10 30 am bell rings, he apologizes about not coming last night as promised. I tell him its ok ,no one died but as its one of moms bathrooms I worry. I inform he about the overflow pipe couldnt handle the overflow. He tells me it should, but on occasion something is stuck, an air bubble, pressure too high, or the inflow is greater than the overflow capacity. He admires the plumbing job,and whips out a pro series fluid-master. He puts it in no exaggeration, 5 minutes. He looks into the overflow pipe says its not blocked. Then he makes the water overflow but the tube this time handles the excess with no trouble. I then figure I need to get my house call moneys worth so I show him a lose (its actually detached) diverter button in my shower https://media.efaucets.com/images/kohler/pdf/k-t14501-4-install.pdf. I print this diagram for him as when it was fixed in the past they wanted to see it. This is when MURPHY'S LAW enters. He needed a 1/16th Allen key, he had metric , he had regular, but no 1/16th. He had 4 sets, 5/64th, 3/32, 1.5mm NO DICE he tells me. He then tells me I bet kohler included it in the set. I tell him IDK, I wasnt here when they built the bathrooms. Now Im aggravated, I ask him can I run to the "we have everything" drug store down the block? He looks at his watch and says ok. I actually jog in this humid 85 degree heat. Hanging on a hook is 2 packs of allen keys 1 metric and a regular one. The second key is 1/16. Hahahah $5.98 with tax. I try to jog back, but thats not happening, I know know Im getting whacked another $100 for this wait time. Im back in less than 5 minutes. He says "wow". Takes everything apart, refers to the diagram and says kohler makes everything difficult. 15 minutes later all done(total time here 50 minutes). I say to him can you look at the other 3 toilets and replace the flush master. He says wait till they break. I said "OK Sir whats the damage?" He said yesterday would have been time and a half, and since I kept you waiting Ill give you a new customer special. I get $139 plus tax for the call, I get 25 plus tax for the fluidmaster. The shower even though it took me longer than the bowl ill throw it in. I said sure thank you, is cash ok? He tells me $140 and we are even. Wow, BCG got a bargain, thats a rare event.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom