Caller ID on incoming call showed my own name and #

Bruceski44

Recycles dryer sheets
We hardly ever answer our landline anymore, but do monitor the caller ID. Just now I saw a caller ID in my own name and using my own landline number. It looked like Bruceski44 123-456-7890 when my own name is Bruceski44 and my own landline number is 123-456-7890. It was like I called myself, although when I just tried to do it myself, I got a busy signal and no caller ID.

Is it that easy to spoof the caller ID that someone could do it readily?

I have been getting those neighbor spoofed phone numbers on my cell phone for the last 3 years. I have kept track of them, mostly, to the point that I have received calls from 121 different numbers. Back on May 7th of this year, the phone number which came up was my own cell phone number. While I found some humor in it, I didn't find as funny when I received four more calls from MYSELF that same day!

We hardly ever answer our landline anymore, but do monitor the caller ID. Just now I saw a caller ID in my own name and using my own landline number. It looked like Bruceski44 123-456-7890 when my own name is Bruceski44 and my own landline number is 123-456-7890. It was like I called myself, although when I just tried to do it myself, I got a busy signal and no caller ID.

Yes, the google talk tone option as a connection lets a participant change their number every dollar you have to spend.
Want to spend 1k? You can have 1k different numbers from your connections port*ASAP, easily w/in as fast as you can type it in. Afaik.....

A landline is a dinosaur, their dead or in zoo's today(alligators&such)
Easily disrupted but not financially worth it to most.
Best wishes....

Yes, it's trivial. Anyone who chooses to do so can spoof the caller ID.

Hopefully, you didn't answer yourself. Cause that would be weird.

That's why caller ID is no longer a good tool. Spoofing (where the scammer can make the readout say ANYTHING) - any name, any number is possible. There is no way to block it from doing this since there's apparently no real effort involved to change the info - it's done all the time now to catch those that consider it rude to not answer their phones if they may recognize the number and especially when it says your own name or number... the thinking is that must be a mistake and you'll want to try to figure out how that happened and be more likely to pick up and try to fix things and scammers think if they get a live person, they are 90% there to scam them out of money. Or especially if you recognize the name or number as a trusted contact.

Screening calls is really the only way to avoid dealing with spammer/scammer stuff now. Don't trust the ID at all. If you are expecting a call from a specific business/persona and it says it's from them, it's likely okay but any unexpected calls should just go to voicemail now since any answering/live person means your number will be tagged as a good one to sell for scammers.

Hopefully, you didn't answer yourself. Cause that would be weird.

Is that like when you touch yourself in an alternate universe and you both explode in a burst of antimatter or something like that?:angel:

Is that like when you touch yourself in an alternate universe and you both explode in a burst of antimatter or something like that?:angel:

Uhm, when you touch yourself... ? Okay. :angel:

There was a recent American Greed episode that detailed a scam where a fake CPA bilked a bunch of small business owners.

Part of the setup was to have investors or clients call the business owners. These "investors" were really the scammer who not only used a fake caller ID, but also changed the voice in such a way that it was not recognizable while still sounding normal.

This was all through a simple app on a cell phone. No equipment required.

Can't block my own number...bug in my VOIP provider's software...bet it's the same for many VOIP providers, which is probably why spammers choose to put the number they're calling on the caller ID.

Earlier this year I was at a soccer game with friends and my friend, Alan got a call on his mobile phone before the kick-off. It said incoming call was from "Alan" so he said, "I don't know if I should answer that because you are the only "Alan" that I know and you aren't calling me". I told him to answer it anyway. It was his wife, saying, "Have you got my phone? I'm calling you from your phone which you left in the house."

I got a robo call this week from equatorial guinea, didn't even know that was a country.
Didn't answer knew it had to be a scam.

Back
Top Bottom