Can a person sue if aggregators get it wrong?

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Here's an interesting article about a case that is going before the Supreme Court.

Supreme Court To Decide If You Can Sue When Data Aggregators Are Wrong – Consumerist

So if some website or service goes around saying you’re someone you’re not, do you have the right to sue?

The answer is already “yes” if the misinformation causes actual harm you can point to in court. So, for example, if you’re erroneously listed in a criminal database despite having a squeaky-clean record, and that causes you to lose job offers during the background check, that’s a clear harm you can obviously sue over. But in the general sea of information, when you can’t point to a specific harm, is it still wrong of services to publish (or share) incorrect information?

The case also points to basically the existential question of the 21st century economy: what are the legal, moral, and ethical rules around our data and our privacy? What burden do individuals bear? What burden do companies bear to make sure that information is entirely accurate? And where in the chain does that burden fall — on the first collector? On the resellers? On an aggregator like Spokeo?

Read the article and it is interesting....

I hate that companies like Google that collect all this data on me.... and is making really good coin on it... I would want some more laws that give us privacy like they have in the EU.... but, with the way we are here, I am not holding my breath...

Back
Top Bottom