Can I roll over money BACK from individual IRA to solo 401k?

tenant13

Full time employment: Posting here.
A few years ago when I stopped freelancing on the side I decided to close my solo 401k account at Schwab and roll all the money to my individual IRA. It's a non-event from the IRS point of view. The idea was that I would eventually convert everything to ROTH. I kept making good salary so conversions had to wait for the more favorable tax time: retirement.

When I did retire my IRA ballooned so much that while some conversion still made sense there's no way in hell I would want to pull the trigger on the entire amount. So now I'm thinking that I'd like to use some of that IRA and invest in some rental real estate - prices might be coming down soon. This can be done with self-directed IRA or 401k (yes, I did research both) except that 401k is more flexible.

So the question is: if I still have the same LLC that I used for the original 401, can I use it to open a new account and roll the money over from IRA? I don't really want to work anymore so there won't be any more contributions although that's a possibility. All I want is to use 300-400k to buy and rent property.

You don't really need to use an LLC to open a solo 401K.
You will need to get an ITIN for the solo 401K, but it's free.
Yes you can roll back into a solo 401K, at least you could when I was thinking about it.

But you need to check which broker will allow it, as some won't.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom