Can you change coverage when starting Cobra?

John Galt III

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My company's benefits dept would be the best place to ask, but I'd like to ask here first.

When going from the regular health insurance to COBRA, can I make any changes to the coverage? I would be considering dropping a dependant.

Thanks

When I went on Cobra I was able to makes changes similar to re-enrollment.

Thanks Homestead. With any luck, that's how it will be here.

My company's benefits dept would be the best place to ask, but I'd like to ask here first.

When going from the regular health insurance to COBRA, can I make any changes to the coverage? I would be considering dropping a dependant.

Thanks

Several years ago I administered dozens of COBRA plans. As I recall, you can make the kind of change that you suggest. Contract the COBRA administrator and ask him/them how they do it. If they say no, ask them to provide you with the written proof so that you can share it with your attorney.

COBRA is offered to each person on an individual basis, so yes, you can opt to take one person off the plan. If you're in reasonably good health, I'd lock in an individual health insurance plan before something changes that and you (or someone else covered) becomes uninsurable. Unless you live in NY/MA/NJ or other guaranteed-issue states, it will probably be less expensive than COBRA too.

Back
Top Bottom