candy of your youth

lazygood4nothinbum

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
today at my front porch a friend dropped off a little care package, including a box of cherry fizzies. only now they have a website http://fizzies.com

i thought i remembered it being all sugar but it's just a bunch of vitamin c, some salt & potassium.

we have this new store in town with all the old candies you grew up with but haven't seen in years: fizzies, candy dots, wax lips. a bunch of us went there the other night. very fun. my friend had them order the fizzies which they will now keep in stock.

any others you can think of?

Attachments

• fizzies.jpg
    fizzies.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 189
Bonomo turkish taffy. Freeze 'em, smack it on the table, and eat the shattered remains.

Pez.

Those long, spaghetti-like cherry "licorice" thingies.

Clove flavored gum.

Charleston Chew (still around?).

Lick'm Aid.

Those flavored straws that you dip in your milk for instant chocolate/strawberry milk.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Bonomo turkish taffy. Freeze 'em, smack it on the table, and eat the shattered remains.
Pez.
Those long, spaghetti-like cherry "licorice" thingies.
Clove flavored gum.
Charleston Chew (still around?).
Lick'm Aid.
Those flavored straws that you dip in your milk for instant chocolate/strawberry milk.

i used to love charleston chews. haven't thought of those in years. used to eat them frozen. pretty sure i'd crack a tooth on it today.

but clove flavored gum and flavored straws in milk? hmmm, you must be much older than i :p

Blackjack gum
Mary Janes
Tiny wax bottles with drink inside
The little spot candies lined up on the paper
Candy cigarettes
Fireballs
Pink Junket
Whistle-pops
Clark bars

The straws had a "filament" of flavored stuff, and the milk got it's flavor as you sucked it up the straw.

TromboneAl said:
Tiny wax bottles with drink inside
Pink Junket

Pink Junket :confused:

Oh -- the little wax bottles with disgusting stuff inside: you could chew the bottle like gum, and make molds of your teeth.

Wow I remember those wax bottles.. or the wax fake teeth and moustashes or lips. I also remember the flavor straws, those were cool, probably be banned today as too dangersous, some kid might suck too hard and swallow the flavor strip LOL

When I saw the topic of this thread, I was expecting something more metaphorical. ;)

lazygood4nothinbum said:
we have this new store in town with all the old candies you grew up with but haven't seen in years: fizzies, candy dots, wax lips. a bunch of us went there the other night. very fun. my friend had them order the fizzies which they will now keep in stock.

OK, lg4nb, where is this place? i feel a field trip comin' on! Gonna be in WPB in September.

lickmaid was my favorite, I think I could use it to diet, if you eat it the way they tell you to, you'd be at it all day! Eventually I would just chew up the candy sticks and then pour down the powder.

Those wax lips were fun. Never liked that dang candy corn, and I remember half my Halloween bag would be filled with that crap!

Baseball card with bubblegum, or bubblegum with a baseball card. We put the card on our bike tire with a clothes pin.

Jawbreakers.
Pepsin chicklets.
Fruitana cookies (with raisins).
Celray soda (celery-flavord, a bit like ginger ale, still sold in the northeast, at least).

Rich_in_Tampa said:

The Duncan Yo-Yo Man (probably a twenty something dead-beat) used to come to our local penny candy store on Tuesday afternoons for a yo-yo contest. All who participated got a certificate for Bonomo's Turkish Taffy. The winner got a coveted Spanish yo-yo. I still keep a wooden yo-yo around for the occassional "rock-the-baby," and would love to find a Bonomos to freeze. Slow pokes were a good alternative.

Hmmm

Used to ride our bikes along the country road looking for pop bottles to turn in at the Combination Store for black licorice. Take three strands and weave into 'chawing tobbaco' like the grown-ups. And yes we had cards held by clothes pins for our bikes also.

heh heh heh - that road and associated cow pastures are now burbs and 'small business development' area.

I remember the candy necklaces, sometimes twisted around a couple of times and worn as a bracelet. You'd just grab the necklace a bite off a piece every so often. Of course, with the sweat and saliva, after a while, your neck was rainbow colored from the dye rubbing off on your skin. :p

That sounds kind of ick....but then again, we were kids that had no fear of germs. Something dropped on the ground was "kissed up to God" (some strange ritual of my youth that seemed to cleanse any and all food/candy that touched the ground) and then popped into our mouth.

Walnettos and Black Jack gum.  Treats from my grandfather.   :)

My brother and I used to buy mallocups and save the "money" coins inside. When you reached $500 (?) you could send it in and they would send you 10 free mallocups.

I used to live close to the Charleston Chew and the Neeco wafer factories. Did anyone actually EAT neeco wafers or are they like Candy Corn, just one lot made and then recirculated indefinitely?

I googled "Lickamaid" but all I got were handles in lesbian chat rooms.

Was lickamaid like pixie sticks??

TromboneAl said:
I googled "Lickamaid" but all I got were handles in lesbian chat rooms.

Was lickamaid like pixie sticks??

It's Lickamade, and I remember it well.

I  even remember N_ _ _ _ r  Babies! little black licorice babies with sugar sprinkled on them. I am 60 and the drug store that carried them was in Washington D.C.

Chunky was a rare treat because they cost a whole nickel for a not too large chunk of chocolate with raisons and a large sweet nut - Cashew?

Lik-a-Maid straws turned your tongue green - lime ones , and had that perfect balance of sweet and tart

Good n Plenty candies were the choice of all kids who played 'Doctor' and had to administer medicine. Strange how the proximity of most ailments were near the loins, especially if the patient was the girl down the street. This would probably be posted on the Drudge Report as an assault unless it became know that she was a year or two older and sometimes played a great 'nurse'.

Bit-O-Honey "goes a long long way, unless you had six heads it lasts all day"

Try to keep all those tiny white nanobeads off your lap if you eat nonpariels in the movies.

How about those cinnamon jelly beans called   Hot Tamales ?  This was Latin American culture as far as we knen back in the '50s

You could sneak over to the lobby cigarette machine and spend an outrageous 35 cents for a pack of smokes to share with your buddy. That cost more than getitng into the show.
 Nothing like a good smoke in the men's lounge (no furniture, just a  black and chrome cylinder Deco cigarette stand) and some Ju Ju B's for flicking over the audience from the balcony. As a matter of fact, I have one of those old stands by my computer.

Then on the way home you could grab some Tru-Aid bottles from a back stoop or porch and turn them in for 2 cents each and use the money for fire crackers.

Back
Top Bottom