Can't Justify an Expensive Hobby Even If I Can Afford It

Yeah, I don't know if it's $1.6 million but it "Looks like a million bucks!" Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

The large deck covering the entire façade of the home is about 900 sq.ft. It is south-facing, and overlooks a hill slope which is part of my lot.

From the deck, I can look down to the valley below and the highway that runs through it.

With many large pane windows to catch the sun, the house gets lots of passive solar heating which really helps. This is at 7,000 ft, and one time we were there when it was -5F.

You can't put a price on fun. If you lose sleep over it, then don't do it. But you aren't going to be able to do it forever. One of the reasons we work and save is so we can have fun.

Here is my expensive hobby. I don't explicitly track costs ( I know what it costs to "race" a car for a year, but I can't put a price on the hours spent doing it with my son and my racing buddies).

Attachments

• 20220511_175952.jpg
    20220511_175952.jpg
    819.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_5626.jpg
    IMG_5626.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 112
Hobbies are not for making money. They are for enjoying time participating in the hobby activities. I have 5 old cars ( 2 x 1937, 2 x 1952, 1968). Not an inexpensive hobby, but worth it to me. I work on them, modify them, drive them, hang out with friends with similar cars at shows or club mtgs. I also have extra daily driver type vehicles. Yes, insurance costs more. Registration for more vehicles, although old cars are cheap. Have a big detached garage to keep them in and work on.

If you can afford it, change your mindset about the cost. Consider it a budget item or just a given expense. Or change your mindset about having that for a hobby. Find something different. Life's short, don't be on your deathbed wishing you had done something that was in your capability and desire.

Tom, that tipped over cone is going to cost you a fortune! And you got it dirty too!

I don't see the problem if you can afford it within your budget. I can't justify an expensive glass of beer or wine or meal or trip, based upon the cost, but if it brings me pleasure and there's room for it in the budget, these are the reasons that I scrimped and saved in other areas.

I agree with Trailwalker. For me, that is the point of my budget. It tells me how much I can spend on my hobby. Since my resources are not infinite, it allows me to make choices that allow me to spend on my hobby. I drive an inexpensive car because cars mean nothing to me, and I shift money to my hobby.

MercyMe, you've done your due diligence. You've tracked your expenses for many years. You know the costs of your hobby, and you know that you can afford it. You've tested yourself by living without your hobby for a period of time. You've concluded that you're miserable. Look at your situation as an objective observer - or a friend - might. What would you advise this person to do?

And, be proud that you've made the choices that allow you to pursue your hobby - your passion.

My spouse and I have not retired yet, but I'm posting this question in this part of the ER forum because I think it might get the most helpful responses here.

What if you 100%, absolutely, positively can afford a certain very enjoyable and very expensive hobby, but you simply can not justify the cost?

I've read that you should never tally up the expenses of what you enjoy doing for fun whether it be boating, flying a plane/helicopter, travel, etc. But I did it anyhow because we have been tracking all of our expense for many years. I'm a value seeker, though now I can't bring myself to rejoin the hobby because I know the costs all too intimately. Yet I've been miserable ever since I left it a couple of years ago.

I know...

• you only live once
  • you can't take the money with you when you pass
  • there are no awards for being the richest person in the cemetery
  • we tend to regret the things we didn't do
Have you had an expensive and hard-to-justify hobby? Did you leave it due to the cost? If not, how did you carry on with it?

Like any other transaction. If the value I receive is higher than the price I pay, yes. If less, no! Would owning a boat be fun, yes, fun enough to justify the cost? Not to me! But to others, yes!

If you can't spend money on anything enjoyable that may indicate a problem. But then, if sitting on a bag of coins like Scrooge McDuck gives you joy then it's money well unspent!

100%, absolutely, positively can afford
very enjoyable
can not justify the cost?

The first two points are fine, but the third doesn't belong with them.

Who is asking you to justify the cost?

What does "justify" mean here?

I'm a sixth generation (large, expensive) boater. My dad always said that "...you do something because you love it. Period. If you have to justify the cost or start figuring out what each individual boat trip is running you, take up checkers instead..."

I fly quite expensive turbine radio control models. My spending on the hobby does compete for funding with the rest of my budget. I set limits to it and just managed it as any other discretionary item.
As long as I managed it my spending responsibly , I see no problem, nor judgment needed.

Attachments

• Futura.jpg
    Futura.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 89
No one has to justify spending or even not spending their money...the point of having is freedom which means different things to different people.

I agree with this approach. In no way judging others who live by different values, but I look at money as a charged duty. Lighting cigarettes with $100 bills (does currency actually burn?) might (?) give me a momentarily thrill, but I would rather donate the money to a local animal shelter, or leave it as a tip for a struggling waiter.

As you can afford it, it’s a personal decision, what someone else says is irrelevant.

We spent $10-20K/year on sailing (excluding the substantial cost of the boats) for almost 30 years. While we were doing it, it was exhilarating and it seemed worth it. But I distinctly remember when deciding to sell our last boat, I did the math “30 x $20,000” and thought how much earlier I could have reached FI with that money? We never lost interest in sailing, but we would never take on those expenses again. I continued sail racing OPB for a couple years after selling our last boat, but now I’m basically out of sailing. Wonderful pastime, WAY too expensive.

Last edited:
What if you 100%, absolutely, positively can afford a certain very enjoyable and very expensive hobby, but you simply can not justify the cost?

Isn't that the case with most enjoyable activities?

Nice travel, concert going, art, decorating one's home. Sure these things can be done on a shoestring but that's a lot of work.

I think of these things as just exactly what I saved for. If I deny myself now, what was the point?

When I am not putzing around the house, rentals or garden, I'm dealing with my hobby of winemaking. I must stay under the 200 gallon limit. Half of our travel time/budget is visiting wine regions around the US. Working with grapes from CA, Chile, NY, South Africa, PA is truly rewarding especially when sharing with friends, neighbors, and relatives. I have picked the brains of many world class vintners, and look forward to their feedback.

We enjoy eating, cooking, gardening, making charcuterie, hams, bacon, hiking, traveling and they are all part of our winemaking hobby. And it's also fun to help out at our friends wineries around the US, at tastings, events, and at harvest/wine season.

Justify? We're going to spend money on these items anyway, why not enjoy the processes?

I did the math when we sold our weekend home a few years ago but that was only to confirm our decision that we just didn't get enough value out of it. As long as your hobby expenses are not negatively impacting others I would generally say go for it. On the other hand, when you find yourself blowing a fortune on trivial pursuits maybe you need to regroup and think about whether you can instead improve humanity with a bit of philanthropy.

I spent $800 in gardening last year and felt I may be overdoing it, even though we got some sort of small payback in fresh vegetables.

This morning, I turned on the expensive electric heater in my tent greenhouse to try to save the lettuce.

Saw this thread and realized I gotta blow the dough on running the heater because that's not expensive!

I am not RE and I do track my hobby expenses. But when I RE, I am budgeting to double that category. Shooting and tools tend to be the most expensive categories. The "tools" include anything from dozer to nail so this category should eventually come under control. Like someone said, it is a personal choice and you only have to justify to DW. My hobby expenses track at about 10% of our total spending.

So many great replies here I decided not to multi-quote. Realistically, once one gets past the basics of food, clothing and shelter (and savings for retirement/emergencies) decisions need to be made on discretionary income.
Hobbies bring joy, and that's part of living. If you can afford it, go for it.
I no longer scuba dive, but when I did we still had a teenager and pre teen at home. Scuba diving isn't cheap, but wow I enjoyed it. We could afford it, although there was always an option to save more in the college funds. Balance, in life, is important, though.
I'm now into a new hobby with expensive start-up costs - astronomy.
The telescope was just the beginning; accessories have already equaled the cost of the scope, and I have more to buy. But, again, WOW I am sure enjoying it!
Don't "justify" cost of a hobby. Do it.

Yeah me too.

Selling another motorcycle soon, then down to one. Keeping the Bonneville. Gotta have one motorcycle and Bonnie is a good one!

My addiction was Bikes and racing. If you want to just blow money for fun, get into Land Speed Racing and old Harleys. Did stop the racing,and sold a 66 XLCH a couple years back. 3 bikes in the barn and so far have said no to a dual sport.

My grandfather sat in his living room and played solitaire from the day he retired until the day he died. He saved a lot of money.

Like many have said, if you enjoy and can afford your hobby or expensive earthly things in life, I don't see why justifying matters. I do understand how the extra expenses can cause that feeling for savers and thrifty people like we have here. I also at time have wondered why I have purchased large ticket items and get nothing in return. Those things have brought me so much happiness and enjoyment, so why not enjoy them. I could just sit at home and not spend that money but why.
Good Luck and hope you find the balance to feel comfortable.

Yeah me too.

Selling another motorcycle soon, then down to one. Keeping the Bonneville. Gotta have one motorcycle and Bonnie is a good one!
So is it a first generation 650? Or a newer model?

I'm not sure what is considered an expensive hobby. Most things I have done have consisted of backpacking and camping (I even made a lot of my equipment), canoeing and kayaking, bicycling, and motorcycling. The last few "hobbies" were one time expenses so not really an ongoing drain on savings. With the help of my wife I built a house in the mountains over a 10 year period as extra cash permitted. But all the expense was recovered when it was sold.
I've reached the age and fitness where these are no longer options. I did buy another recumbent trike around April this year to replace my 25 year old one. But that is a one time expense except for tires and a bit of lube.

Cheers!

My sister in law doesn't have time for hobbies as she travels a lot. I guess that's her hobby. She's been on 12 trips abroad this year and others within the States. And shes been doing this for several years although maybe not to this extent. Sounds like work to me.

For me I play golf and travel to my condo on the gulf coast frequently. So those two things I enjoy and occupy my time. Not cheap either but I haven't lost any sleep. The condo has increased in value so it may not end up being costly at all but market conditions will tell the story whenever I decide to sell.

I'm trying to justify spending money on a snowmobile. Lots of things to consider. My age and physical condition is one, I really shouldn't be out with the younger guys busting the powder only to over exert myself or actually hurt myself.
At our cabin there are many miles of groomed trails to ride from the cabin. Thinking a 2 up touring sled might be better (safer) than a powder machine. My DW will probably come with me but she can't see much sitting behind me. I do have an older smaller sled she can ride. I do have friends who have offered me to borrow their spare machines and there is a rental place a mile away. The biggest problem is we'll only spend a month up in the winter. Kinda hard to justify spending $$ on a sled, even a used one, with that short a time to use it each winter. Then there is the expense of getting it running each winter. Might be better to just rent one.

Back
Top Bottom