Car tires through Amazon

njhowie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was just pricing a new set of tires online through Pep Boys to be done at my local shop. They're always running some promotion or discount. For the heck of it, after I priced it out, I did a google search and found that you can purchase tires through Amazon, and they will include shipping and installation...and for me, at the same Pep Boys location.

So I went through the entire order process with Amazon, and the total with installation, tax and everything was $304 versus $456 pricing it out through Pep Boys with their current promotions. Same tires - $67.50 each after promotion through Pep Boys, $49.95 from Amazon. Installation $117.96 from Pep Boys, $79.96 from Amazon. Again, same Pep Boys location, same tires.

Unbelievable.

Wow, great savings! Makes one wonder about the non-Amazon business models and what they need to do to stay competitive. Three years ago, I bought a set of tires at costco.com and had them installed at the local Costco. It was about $50 less expensive than the price at the store for the same tires. Had to wait a week for the tires to arrive, but that was easily worth the $50.

Just be careful that you're not getting tires that although new, are a couple of years old (sitting in a warehouse somewhere).

A couple of years ago, I bought tires from tirerack.com that were already 1.5 years old. After complaining, they gave me a discount.

To me this is a big deal since I'm a low mileage driver, so the tire age issue does come into play.

I bought several sets at Amazon and submitted the discount on line works well.

I normally choose the Amazon and not a third party supplier in case I run into any problems.

Just be careful that you're not getting tires that although new, are a couple of years old (sitting in a warehouse somewhere).

A couple of years ago, I bought tires from tirerack.com that were already 1.5 years old. After complaining, they gave me a discount.

To me this is a big deal since I'm a low mileage driver, so the tire age issue does come into play.

Fair point.

It is a new model tire from Cooper that was introduced under a year ago.

Additionally, the tires were "Sold by Amazon" - not some merchant selling through Amazon. So, I have to believe that the inventory is fairly fresh considering the amount they sell.

I got my tires on line from Walmart. Shipped to Walmart. Mounted at Walmart. They were half the cost of any conventional tire store at a little under $400 for a set of 4.

Walmart will mount any tire you bring in for around $12 including balancing I think.

Yeah, I ordered a set of 4 Michelin tires from an Amazon affiliate store a year or so ago - they were delivered right to my house. I had one of the local garages mount them on my truck for me, and they were glad to do it. Just for the heck of it, I priced out what the cost of the same tires would be if I purchased them through a couple of the local garages here (tires plus mounting) and it was FAR more than what I paid ordering them myself (something like 30% less total cost). I did check the date on the tires when I received them, and they were fresh........just manufactured a couple months prior to that (the affiliate is a huge tire store in N. Carolina, so apparently the move a lot of tires). I guess a lot of folks don't want to go through the hassle or ordering their own tires, but for that kind of cost saving, I will do it again!

I usually buy tires at DiscountTireDirect.com or TireRack.com and they're usually here in a day or so. A local tire store installs them for me. I've never beat their prices, and often get gift cards or rebates too.

My problem has been the tire life on certain brand/model cars--40 series ultra high performance tires. My Hondas and Lexus' eat tires alive. I bought two tires for the Lexus yesterday, and they're expensive. My future vehicles will have 60 series sidewalls that last at least 50K miles.

The other issue with low profile tires is an increased chance of damaging a rim if you hit a pothole or debris in the road. A friedn recently bought a new vehicle with low profile tires and said if he busted a rim that between the rim and tire he would be out $1,200!

Wow! I would of never thought that.

The other issue with low profile tires is an increased chance of damaging a rim if you hit a pothole or debris in the road. A friedn recently bought a new vehicle with low profile tires and said if he busted a rim that between the rim and tire he would be out $1,200!

Lots of independent shops fix rims anymore. Way cheaper than buying a new rim from a dealer. Tires, that's another story.

Back
Top Bottom