Career Reflections

I've been in the construction field since I was 18... twenty years ago. Same company for all that time. I need a change badly. But its pretty much all I know how to do. Quite depressing actually.... :(

FIRE is my only way out it would seem.

I have been working for many companies over the last two years. But I have and continue to do that for a reason.

When I first graduated from college I worked in the medical field, started my own businesses (four to be exact) and did some freelance work in medical writing and Web development. In total, I worked have worked for 8 companies in the last three years. What is the end result? A chance in 2011 to earn over $250k because I have full-time employment with three companies (two I work on my own time) and I still have my businesses.

1) 4 years programmer at Hughes Aircraft, next project was in Cobol, so went to . . .
2) 14 years programmer at small aerospace firm, company was dissolving around me, so went to . . .
3) 1 year programmer at TRW, bad fit so leave aerospace for . . .
4) 8 years programmer at small stock trading firm, they switch to Xtreme Programming, so . . .
Retired

Dang, I am going against the grain here again. I'd serve your 3 year sentence and be paroled into FIRE. But, I am super goal oriented. And, my military service taught me how to live thru some pretty crappy gigs.

Okay, here goes:
11 jobs total

Age 13 to 31: 10 jobs
Age 31 to present: 1 job

For me and most of my peers of similar age this has been more or less the trend. Get out of school and try out a few jobs, get as much experience as possible, and then start to settle down the job hopping while family life picks up.

I worked for 4 companies from 18-25 and have had 4-5 very different Marketing roles within the same Megacorp in the past 8.5 years. The latter is a very nice attribute to the workplace as they encourage people do move around every 24 months....or we go thru a reorg and you end up in a new role by default.

Back
Top Bottom