Cars percentage of net worth?

Spend some time on BringaTrailer.com. Not all cars depreciate to nothing. A 1984 VW GTI sold last week for $34K. The air cooled Porsche market has gone crazy.

Yeah, my kid is still complaining about me not getting one of the above while they were still sub-$20k used a few years ago.

Unless you are a car collector, I see my daily transportation as an expense.
+1. Don’t see why one would include in net worth, since with very rare exceptions the value will only ever go down, and pretty quickly at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, my kid is still complaining about me not getting one of the above while they were still sub-$20k used a few years ago.

I would like to own one more manual transmission car, and now believe that any reasonably enjoyable MT vehicle in good condition is becoming a premium-priced item.

I would like to own one more manual transmission car, and now believe that any reasonably enjoyable MT vehicle in good condition is becoming a premium-priced item.

The young wife and I have three manual transmission vehicles - 2001 BMW Z3, 2018 Subaru Forester and 2019 Mini Cooper S. I expect they'll have to last us for the rest of our days, since it seems impossible to get a new manual transmission.

Less than 1% for us, too. 2010 Mazda 3 and a 2008 Honda Odyssey.

I'm looking to sell my '94 Honda Civic Dx, if you're anywhere near Portland. Runs great!:)

How some confuse assets, liabilities, expenses and income is fascinating.

Yeah, pretty simple. If it's worth something, it's an asset. Like it runs and you can sell it.

Now, on the other hand, if it's up on cinder blocks with a blown engine leaking oil on the driveway and all rusted out with water damage from the storms and the busted out windows...

Then it's a liability.

Here in Chicago, a car as you describe is worth a couple hundred bux and a phone call will get it picked up and hauled away same day. Slightly more complicated if you don't have a title of course.

it seems impossible to get a new manual transmission.

Pretty close. I tow our camper with a 1999 F-150, V8, 5 speed manual transmission. The manual transmission is no longer available from Ford. I regularly run into situations while getting the truck serviced at quickie-lube places and even at Ford dealerships where they ask me to pull it into the bay since no one there knows how to drive manual transmission! :LOL:

The grand kids are totally mystified by the cranks you turn to get the windows to go up and down!

Last edited:
Never considered cars or other vehicles into NW. But if so, it's about 1%.

I do miss the manual transmission cars, they were so much fun. It wold be great to get another one!

The young wife and I have three manual transmission vehicles - 2001 BMW Z3, 2018 Subaru Forester and 2019 Mini Cooper S. I expect they'll have to last us for the rest of our days, since it seems impossible to get a new manual transmission.

Our manual transmission vehicles are a 1998 Toyota Tacoma and a 2017 Mustang Shelby GT350R.

Never considered cars or other vehicles into NW. But if so, it's about 1%.

I do miss the manual transmission cars, they were so much fun. It wold be great to get another one!

Yeah, they're still available on a few cars. I really enjoy rowing a 5 speed, but in Honolulu traffic, it loses a lot of the fun.

We don't really count our different vehicles towards NW. Since if a daily driver is sold, it will need replaced. Do have several "toys" that could be liquidated should the situation arise. Most of those would bring anywhere from 85-200% of what we paid for them.

We are in really bad shape if we go by percentage, have a 2022 Winnebago Travato Camper van bought for $105k, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe for 60k, 2015 Dodge Challenger Scatpack for 40k, those three amounts combined is 20% of our net worth.

Very age dependent, when young my first $300 car was probably over 50% of my money.

For us it's tiny, I would consider for a retired person 5% to be a huge percentage.

I do count it as part of net worth, but not part of what we can live on or use for spending, same with our house, since we don't want to move to a tent.

How do you mean "not part of what we can live on or use?" When you say you use it as part of your net worth, you mean you take the intrinsic value and include that in your net worth (along with cash on hand, savings, and home value)?

Folks confuse investment assets and net worth. You may not live off your assets, you live off your investments, but your assets still have a value and someday you or someone else will liquidate them.

I drive a 22 year old Dodge truck with sketchy paint and no head liner daily, I think it would be a rounding error in our net worth.

Back
Top Bottom