Cash Position

Between 50-70%, but has started nibbling a little bit recently. I moved out to cash because I thought I was going to transfer to Vanguard. But now I'm only thinking of transferring only my account and leave my husband's account alone.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Around 3.5%. Living expenses met by DW's salary + my little pension + DIVs as cash from some of our taxable accounts.

About 24% which includes amounts in current checking/savings and doesn't include the not huge amount that is in a short term bond fund.

A goodly amount of it will be spent this year as this is the last year we will be supporting two of our kids and paying college tuition. So, I set aside this money awhile ago to cover this year in the case the market was down and I didn't want to take from equities. I would actually prefer to not use all of this during this year and would take money out in a more balanced fashion, but that will depend on what happens.

After this year I don't see us ever having this amount of cash again.

Depending how you define cash between 25% to 50% roughly. Have quite a bit parked in CDs which I can stop at any point with a small penalty.

If stock market dips further or holds at current level will decrease cash position substantially somewhere before summer

is anyone here considering bonds, or bond funds "cash"?

About 50% cash parked in an interest income fund, paying 2%, while I ponder moving to a different brokerage.

is anyone here considering bonds, or bond funds "cash"?

I consider cash to be savings account, CDs, money market, and stable value funds.

Looking at the reply's, I was thinking I was one of a few outliers holding a large cash position, but am surprised that so many also have large cash reserves. Any how, at todays inflation rate and low interest environment, it doesn't pain me too much to be holding such a high position.

Depending how you define cash between 25% to 50% roughly. Have quite a bit parked in CDs which I can stop at any point with a small penalty.

I consider cash my checking acct, MM and cd's maturing within a year. Based on that I have roughly 30% in cash. If I consider all CD's, probably closer to 70%.

72% (High Yield Savings Account, CDs, I-Bonds, Stable Value Fund)

I calculate that if investments are held at no or low risk and can be converted to cash with little or no penalty, it is just as good as cash.

We never hold cash. Always fully invested.

For the retail investor, holding cash has been proven to be a losing strategy.

That's right. You're better off 100% in small cap stocks over the long run - most of the time, that is.

Not too many retirees will take that approach, however, because once you are living off your investments, it's not only the long term that matters.

This convinces me of the course I was about to take. 20% now in cash, over half of which I was going to put into CD ladders now that we sold our house and bought something for less than half the price. It represents 5 years of living expenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Cash has held up pretty good so far this year!

I don't think I am alone here but I am holding a larger position in cash as a bond proxy.

I have about 15% in long-term CDs and no bonds. So my cash position is other people's bond position. I am slowly converting CDs into index funds when they mature.

25% cash, 1/2 in mm paying 1%, 1/2 in 2.25% CDs, 6mo interest penalty for early WD, mms pays for 5-6 yrs expenses.

About 10 percent is in mmf at Vanguard. We draw from that when necessary. Since DH started SS at FRA we haven't needed to draw from it--before then the cash was about five years' of expenses after pension and distributions, which we do take.

I really like reading people's different choices and their rationales for them--it has really been helpful over the years.

Back
Top Bottom