Cat stew lover skewered in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've posted a deleted about 5 replies to this thread already. I just can't seem to find the words. I love my cats and this is just too horrible for me to think about.

I've posted a deleted about 5 replies to this thread already. I just can't seem to find the words. I love my cats and this is just too horrible for me to think about.

We wouldn't dream of eating Bob or Eddie... no worries...:flowers:

With all of the various ethnic groups that consider various pets a delicacy around here, it is sort of standing joke when a pet goes missing that he is in somebodies stew.

However, from Italy I am shocked I thought they had better taste. Personally, I'd be more inclined to eat people "It's people. Soylent Green is made out of people.", then any feline.

We wouldn't dream of eating Bob or Eddie... no worries...:flowers:

I know. Folks are just joking around. I tend to get so serious when it comes to my furry companions. They're just so trusting and loving.

I know. Folks are just joking around. I tend to get so serious when it comes to my furry companions. They're just so trusting and loving.

Purron, when I was a little girl in the 60's, it upset me when boys would make what they thought were hilarious remarks about wanting to torture and kill cats, including mine. All the adults said, "Pay no attention to them, boys will be boys." It saddens me that apparently some of them never grew out of the idea that hurting cats, or hurting the feelings of people who love cats, is somehow funny and acceptable. Nobody ever makes jokes about torturing or killing dogs or other animals, just cats.

Amethyst

I wanted to let this thread develop a bit before I contributed a college story...:cool:
I was required to live on campus for my freshman year. This of course made it a requirement for me to eat at the on-campus dining halls.
The dining hall nearest my dorm had a dumpster with no panels hiding it. Whenever I went to class, I would see a bunch of cats hanging around, helping themselves to thrownaway food in the dumpster.
One day, I noticed all of the cats were gone. I went to classes as usual, then headed over to the hall to meet my roomates for dinner. The main course that night was Veal Parmiagiana.
I got my food, sat down, and then a really evil thought popped into my head.
I mentioned the sudden disappearance* of the cats, took a bite, chewed very dramatically, made a strange face, and just watched the expressions on my roommates' faces. :LOL:

* My guess is the cats were students' contraband pets (left behind), and the college authorities finally trapped them and removed them to stop them from multiplying and ranging over campus.

Purron, when I was a little girl in the 60's, it upset me when boys would make what they thought were hilarious remarks about wanting to torture and kill cats, including mine. All the adults said, "Pay no attention to them, boys will be boys." It saddens me that apparently some of them never grew out of the idea that hurting cats, or hurting the feelings of people who love cats, is somehow funny and acceptable. Nobody ever makes jokes about torturing or killing dogs or other animals, just cats.

Amethyst

Thanks Amethyst. Bob sends purrs and headbumps your way. :flowers:

Attachments

• Bob on table.JPG
    Bob on table.JPG
    396.9 KB · Views: 1
I've been thinking about this thread a lot, particularly the remarks made by Amethyst. I haven't shared this with anyone - not even my mother or best friends. My DH and I have a nephew we have been very close to since he was a baby and have helped through many hard times.

A few years ago we were visiting him and he told us about a "crazy cat lady" who lived nearby and had a ton of cats. He lives in a rural part of Virginia. You know, land of pick up trucks with Confererate flags and gun racks. He then told us about how he got out a shotgun and killed a number of them. I was stunned and unable to respond. I still haven't gotten over this. Why would he do such a thing then tell his Aunt who he knows in a cat lover and rescue person? More importantly, why didn't I say something to him at the time?

I don't know why cruelty to cats is often treated as acceptable and even funny. Those of us who love them are often looked at as "crazy cat people". I'm not crazy. Like many other people, I happen to find cats very loveable. Cruelty to them is horrifying to me and not funny at all. I'm proud of the many years I've spend trying to help homeless animals - particularly cats and kittens. My DH and I have fostered dozens of them.

Here are a few of their faces. Please think twice about making fun of cruelty to cats, or any other animals. It really hurts. I'm not going to stand by and act like it's OK when it just kills me inside. If I could go back in time, I would have given my nephew the riot act. Can't do it now. His life is a major mess and it wouldn't be right after so long.

The worst forms of cruelty are to those who are helpless. Children, the elderly, and yes, animals. As Ghandi said "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”.

Attachments

• Humbee.JPG
    Humbee.JPG
    411 KB · Views: 1
  • Tabby2.JPG
    Tabby2.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Panda4.JPG
    Panda4.JPG
    472.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Peggy Sue.jpg
    Peggy Sue.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Coventry.JPG
    Coventry.JPG
    432.4 KB · Views: 1
Purron, the cats in your photos are adorable.

If it is any consolation, children often (usually?) seem to "pick up" on our feelings, and know what we are wanting to say without even having to say a word to them.

Also, I, for one, would never shoot a cat or treat one unkindly. The worst I would ever do is take one to the Humane Society if I didn't want it or couldn't care for it. Thank you for standing up for cats.

.....................Also, I, for one, would never shoot a cat or treat one unkindly. ................

And I promise I would never eat one....knowingly.

Speaking of which, there's a great show on the Food Network where the host travels around eating really strange food. I'm talking everything from insects to testicles. The host is a heavy set bald guy, I can't think of his name or the show's name. His motto is: "If it looks good, eat it". There's a lot stranger food than cat stew that people could be condemning this 77 year old Italian cooking show host for.
Andrew Zimmer is the guy. I just had a holiday delicacy of rooster testicles. Also had tarantula in Cambodia once. Next time I'm in Italy .... :whistle:

The cat eaters of Cameroon

BBC NEWS | UK | The cat eaters of Cameroon

Pa Adangwa John, another of the diners, told me that joining their cat eating group would bring good luck. And as evidence he told me that before going to ask for the hand of his girlfriend in marriage, he ate some cat meat to be sure she would not turn him down. She is now his wife.
Hell, that's good enough for me ... Pass the tabby please.:angel:

Interesting subject. I see eating and cruelty as two separate things. I am a hunter, and have looked at this subject from several different angles over time.

I don't understand why people like to harm cats. Maybe because they don't understand them, and have never known one. Someone that is cruel to cats/animals is that way towards their fellow humans, as well. And it is also a symptom of something deeper and very dark. Many serial killers started out torturing animals when young...

What we eat and with it's differences are cultural. And each culture is different. A lot of horses go to waste in this country, and I suppose that a lot of cows in India do too. But we must all eat. I don't see what others eat as bad or cruel. But a pet is something different. And we must justify a way to eat farm animals without guilt, even though they all feel pain and the love for life. I don't have an answer.

Hmmm...please pass the bobcat stew over here...

Purron, don't look...

Didn't click on the link REWahoo. I trust you on these matters. I'm sure it's just another reason why this thread should go away. I find it very disturbing to see how many find pleasure in the discomfort and pain this topic has brought to animal lovers like me. Why is that?

Would you eat Faux Beef ? I hear that it is lower in fat and much healtier for you.

cow.gif

07-16-2006.jpg

Masterblaster - you sure do seem to enjoy promoting this thread. I just can't imagine why this gives you so much pleasure. I'll give you this: you have succeeded in causing me anguish and to question why I ever became a member of this forum. Well done.

Puron: Well there is that - Oh Yuck - factor here. I suspect that most of the posters on this topic are just kidding around and aren't really serious.

On the other hand who are you to tell the rest of us what we should post ? If you don't like the topic then stay away.

Given the turn this thread has recently taken, it has been closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom