Cataracts

Has anyone noticed their eyes/pupils looking "different" after cataract surgery? I've seen a sort of cat-eye reflection in the pupils of others, which I suppose must be from the artificial lens.
I would think you'd expect them to look different because now you can see them clearly for the first time in a while.

I have a question about the cost of cataract surgery. I'm not at the point where I need it, but I have a small cataract in each eye and sooner or later they will get worse. My ophthalmologist told me that normal surgical cataract surgery (done with a scalpel) is covered by Medicare. However, he is pushing laser surgery, when I need it, which he says runs about $4K an eye. I've checked on line and that seems extremely high. The advantages, according to him, are quicker recovery and fewer complications. Mine would be complicated by extreme myopia and astigmatism.

Any thoughts or experiences on which procedure is better and the possible costs?
I had laser done. It wasn't near 4k an eye! Maybe 2?

?? don't get your comment.

I've noticed this odd reflection in the eyes of various older people, and always assumed it was from replacing an organic lens with an artificial one made of plastic.

I would think you'd expect them to look different because now you can see them clearly for the first time in a while.

Has anyone noticed their eyes/pupils looking "different" after cataract surgery? I've seen a sort of cat-eye reflection in the pupils of others, which I suppose must be from the artificial lens.

My kids told me my eyes are glittering (I sort of like this!). Like mini mirrors. Cataract doc said she can always tell if someone has had lens implants.

You're asking the most common question asked by people with developing cataracts. Honestly, the only answer is the one most eye doctors will give you:

"When you're not satisfied with your vision any more, you'll know it's time."

In my case, it came when I wasn't able to read highway road signs until I was almost on top of them.

I don't know how typical it was, but my cataracts developed very slowly over nearly 15 years, then suddenly got much, much worse over just a few months. It became very obvious that I was ready.

+1.

Mine also deteriorated suddenly.
Both eyes done. Need readers - I use bifocal readers so I'm not putting on and taking off multiple times an hour. Distance vision is great.

I have a question about the cost of cataract surgery. I'm not at the point where I need it, but I have a small cataract in each eye and sooner or later they will get worse. My ophthalmologist told me that normal surgical cataract surgery (done with a scalpel) is covered by Medicare. However, he is pushing laser surgery, when I need it, which he says runs about $4K an eye. I've checked on line and that seems extremely high. The advantages, according to him, are quicker recovery and fewer complications. Mine would be complicated by extreme myopia and astigmatism.

Any thoughts or experiences on which procedure is better and the possible costs?

I agree it seems high. I'm having laser with astigmatism correction and it will run $1850 per eye, beyond that which insurance covers. I am surprised that any surgeon these days would use anything but laser. Premium IOLs such as multifocal and toric do cost more and insurance does not cover these 'premium' lenses.

I am surprised that any surgeon these days would use anything but laser.

Laser surgery is just a different method, not actually a major improvement over the standard method. It just costs more.

Most of us (myself included) had this mental image of a big scalpel slicing into our eyeball, but in fact the instruments are extremely tiny, high tech, and precise. The actual incision made to insert the IOL is hardly more than a millimeter, since the lens is rolled up and unrolls once it's in the capsule where the old natural lens had previously been.

When I had my cataract surgery 4 years ago, my doctor offered me the option of laser surgery at an additional $2k per eye, IIRC. When I asked him what the advantage of the laser was, he shrugged. I opted for the standard surgery. The procedure went very well and I am very happy with my vision.

DW had surgery in Nov/Dec, and yes there is a "difference". I call the "Demon Woman" now, because of the lens reflection!:D

I didn't opt for laser so my cataract surgeries were completely covered by medicare and my supplement. I would think that if opting for laser, there would only be an upcharge vs the standard surgery, so it makes me wonder if some of these surgeries are not being coded properly and folks are being overcharged for the laser approach.

After 10 years of my eye Dr telling me I have cataracts developing I sprung for a medical eye exam with an Ophthalmologist at a comprehensive facility. His opinion was that they are very slight and no need to take action.

My question is when have you taken action? Being rather hypersensitive to medical stuff I don't appreciate over reaction by my medical providers. This also applies to the local TV weatherman. :)

It was blatantly obvious to me when it was time. I couldn't see PowerPoint slides in a conference room full of people who could. I couldn't tell if the traffic light was red or green if it was too bright outside. It was like living in a constant fog.

I first noticed my eyesight degrading in this way around 47-48. My optometrist never mentioned cataracts until about 50. By 52, I was no longer fit to drive. Went to the ophthalmologist. He said something to the effect of, "Eh, I've seen a lot worse... you can wait or I'll do it now if you want." Yes please. One of the best decisions I ever made. Although I don't care about PowerPoint slides anymore. :)

Finally had mine done when it was getting too hard to read street signs at night and it became a safety issue. Opted for laser (it was $1K extra) since at the same time they could correct most of the astigmatism in that eye so that I could use a regular lens. They couldn't get the laser to focus on the other eye for some reason (maybe because it was a lazy eye when i was a kid) so that was done manually, and also needed a toric lens for astigmatism. results were great and the surgery was a lot easier than I had thought.

Near, Far Or?

In another post W2R said:..I chose to get the distance only lens, because I have never been able to deal with multi-focals and because I did really well in the past with distance only contacts and reading glasses. "

I have just been recommended for the lens replacement. This will probably take a few months to schedule and select or eliminate options.
It looks like a few choices: set to see far, set to see close, one eye close/one far or a lens (topic?, can't remember the name) that can see close and far but is $2,500 because not covered by medicare.
It seems like most people go to improve their distance vision and wear reading glasses. This is OK by me, if necessary, but it would be nice to not need glasses to read and see closer things, computer screen? Right now, in teh AM without contacts or glasses, I can read my watch or iphone if I stick it a few inches from my face. DW hates this but it works for me. Hate to lose tha and any lens replacement seems to lose that option. The Dr was really great, giving options and frequent warnings that nothing was certain. If a mid distance is critical they can implant that lens to cover computer work but may need distance and close reading glasses. Sowhat is close/mid/far seems to be an individual issue.

First thisng they are going to try is to give me new contacts set to one close/one far to see if my brain adjusts and can go with this setup. This may elimanite that option. I could care less about the $2,500 charge for the dual range lens (I'm getting older and it looks like I will have more $ than time) but the Dr didn't seem as confident that the results would be as certain as just going for longer vision.
Anyone have an experience with the dual vision lens or the one close/one far?
I hav worn glasses since 1st grade and contacts for 30 + years, I can adjust a lot but I really want to make the best choice and I wnat to both read and drive with or without glasses but definitely without cataracts.

Anyone have an experience with the dual vision lens or the one close/one far?
I hav worn glasses since 1st grade and contacts for 30 + years, I can adjust a lot but I really want to make the best choice and I wnat to both read and drive with or without glasses but definitely without cataracts.

I have not had cataract surgery.

I have worn hard contacts for 50 years. When I started developing "old eyes" (e.g. needing reading glasses), my doctor fitted me with one close/one far contact lens correction. I love them. No glasses for me in daily usage. For multi-hour driving at night, my eye doc gave me some 'booster' glasses (I think they are both +0.25 lenses), that help me see just a tad better at night, and they also help keep my eyes from getting quite so tired when driving mega-miles.

omni

Thank you all for the very interesting posts. I’m learning a lot and hope that I make the right choice when I need the surgery. Which will most likely be in the next 12 months. It would be nice to see road signs at a distance I can actually make use of them :rolleyes:. My glasses RX supposedly brings me close to 20/20, but most of the time I can’t focus well enough to see things clearly at reasonable distances.

I wear multi-focal contact lenses (3 focal lengths, plus astigmatism correction), with the emphasis on distant vision (the close-up correction is not actually as good as my naked, nearsighted, presbyopic vision).

I'd be surprised if such an option didn't exist with cataract lenses. Good distance, pretty good medium-distance, and need glasses for close-up.

I have had cataract surgery in both eyes one year apart (2-3 years ago) and opted for monovision (one near/one far) and am very happy with my decision. It took me months to arrive at that decision as I really wanted multi-focal lenses but was scared away by some of the problems with those lenses and the fact that my doc would chose the single focal lenses if he had to have cataract surgery today.

I was able to test drive the decision. I am near sighted and had the far lens implanted and had resulting mono vision with surgery in one eye only:LOL:. I had no problems adapting...it was immediate. The cataract in that eye was very very aggressive, the other eye not. So if I couldn't adapt, I would opt to have the other eye done immediately, also with far vision. I had worn progressive glasses for years and both doc and I believed I would have no trouble adapting. When I had the surgery done for the close eye, doc used same prescription as my sight without glasses.

I love not having to wear glasses :dance:. The only downside is that mid-vision is not that great, but it's way better than I had before the surgery.

I do have a pair of prescription readers for when I read a lot and need the magnification. Otherwise, I have no problems with close up reading even in low light restaurants.

I also have a pair of prescription far sunglasses for driving. Even though I have 20/20 vision, it's not as crisp as I would like and like to have that extra when on the road. That said, my far vision without the prescription sunglasses is better than DH's with his glasses.

Whatever you decide, you'll love your new sight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom