Cell Phone Call Blocker

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
FWIW
This may not be news but I found a nice call blocker for Android (may also be available for iPhone).

I was getting "Heather from account services" about 15-20 calls in a row, every 3 minutes, every day on my cell. Then a few in rapid succession in the evening.

The prefix of the incoming calls are the same as my cell phone number prefix with the last four digits different for each call. Hard to block each one manually as that number never calls back.

A little app called "CallControl" allows you to do wildcards. "Block 617-555-**** or entire area codes. It automatically allows all calls from your contact list. It's not free ($9 a quarter) but for me it's worth it. Easy to use.

May not be news to anyone but just wanted to share.

The prefix of the incoming calls are the same as my cell phone number prefix with the last four digits different for each call. Hard to block each one manually as that number never calls back.

A little app called "CallControl" allows you to do wildcards. "Block 617-555-**** or entire area codes.

This is also a feature of the call blocking service in my Ooma Premium account. Works like a charm. I get very few of those on my iPhone, but if they increase I'll certainly look at Call Control.

marko,

The native Android dialer allows prefix blocks - you don't have to purchase any apps. Go to the call block menu and select the "starting with" option and put in the prefix you want to block. Hope that makes sense. I tried to find an online tutorial for this, but can't seem to get the right keywords o get one up.

BTW, the phone manufacturer may disable this option so you may not see it. It works on Google phones (of course) and confirmed on LG phones, not sure about any other.

A free and open source solution if your manufacturer disabled this feature is NoPhoneSpam (available on the Play store too, you don't have to build it yourself)

https://gitlab.com/bitfireAT/NoPhoneSpam/

$9 a quarter is outrageous for such a simple function.

Mr. Number is a great app for your android phone as well. In addition to blocking numbers that you select, including via the prefix, it maintains a database of known spam numbers. It works great for me.

I use a free call blocking app on my android. Any callers not on the list get intercepted by the call blocking app leaving the option for the caller to leave a voice mail (which seldom happens since most are robocalls).

I found out that locating the app can be difficult as the one I use is called "Call Blocker". But there are tons of them named call blocker or something similar at the Android Play Store.

Mr. Number is a great app for your android phone as well. In addition to blocking numbers that you select, including via the prefix, it maintains a database of known spam numbers. It works great for me.

You need to be careful about Mr Number and Hiya (their parent company) and other numerous call blocker apps like that. They upload your number plus all of your contacts to their servers. They say they won't misuse it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. You can do a google search for privacy concerns + Mr Number etc. to find out all about it.

So this is a huge need for me but I have an IPhone. I'm getting the normal "pitches" that use a local cell phone prefix so it's hard to block that since it's my prefix too.

Someone put my number in a database and my name as Bilbo Baggins so I get calls daily (for probably four months now) from call centers on some warranty extension. I have ignored most all of them but would love to block somehow. If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them (short of getting a new number).

The problem with blockers is that virtually all the scam calls now come with the calling number spoofed.

In other words, the number you or anyone else blocks is not the number the scammer called you from. The number may never be used by them again. It is probably a legitimate number belonging to some resident or business. Unlikely, but it could even be someone who you actually want to get future calls from.

The scammers use spoofed numbers which appear to come from your "home" exchange. I've heard of some people who got a call "from" their own number. The scammer's software just randomly picks the last 4 numbers in your exchange, so there's a 1-in-9,999 chance that this will happen. Since they make millions of calls, it probably happens a lot.

I just never answer my phone when the caller is not in my contact list. If it is legit they will leave a message. Every once in a while a spammer will leave a message - I got one of those "there are serious charges filed against you so call this # to clear it up" spams the other day.

All my friends know that my hearing sucks and only text me anyway. I rarely talk on my phone.

The problem with blockers is that virtually all the scam calls now come with the calling number spoofed.

In other words, the number you or anyone else blocks is not the number the scammer called you from. The number may never be used by them again. It is probably a legitimate number belonging to some resident or business. Unlikely, but it could even be someone who you actually want to get future calls from.

The scammers use spoofed numbers which appear to come from your "home" exchange. I've heard of some people who got a call "from" their own number. The scammer's software just randomly picks the last 4 numbers in your exchange, so there's a 1-in-9,999 chance that this will happen. Since they make millions of calls, it probably happens a lot.

This. This. This. x1000

I have gotten calls from folks that are "returning" calls that came from MY number. I used several different apps to block calls with varying degrees of success. Once the spoofing started, really NOTHING would stop it...well, almost. So, now I run a constant "priority calls only" on the Do Not Disturb setting on the phone (should be on any fairly new Android phone). My priority calls are those that are in my contacts. So, if you aren't in my contacts, you will not ring my phone, instead, you can leave a message. About once a week there will be a message from a telemarketer, but this is the only true solution that I have found that stopped ALL OF THE UNWANTED CALLS.

Wide Protect is an iPhone app that will block numbers yet allow through numbers in your contacts. DW’s phone number was being spoofed by spammers and this app “stopped” 50+ angry “return” phone calls per day.

The spam calls we get generally spoof a caller id number that has the same area code as mine. As I no longer live in the physical area covered by the area code of my cell phone, screening spam calls has been much easier.

+1 about the spoofing.

That is why I only use list based blocking. Plus, my own number I put as a number to block.

No More Robo https://www.nomorobo.com/ is free for landlines, and charges ~$20 per year for cellphones. I've used it for years.

I use AT&T, and they also offer a free Call Protect service for call blocking, and between the two, I get very few, but when I do it sure does pi$$ me off.

Last edited:
I don't know why it is not illegal to falsify the caller's actual phone number. I can see a legitimate reason to block it but not to falsify it. Seems like there oughta be a law....

I don't know why it is not illegal to falsify the caller's actual phone number. I can see a legitimate reason to block it but not to falsify it. Seems like there oughta be a law....

It is illegal and the FCC just assessed a record fine against a spoofing telemarketer:

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/fcc-robocall-spammer-fine/

Personally I think telemarketers should be hung by a rope around the neck until dead.

I read a review and downloaded the app “WideProtect” on my iPhone. I can block entire prefixes (i.e. 425-***-****) - EXCEPT for those numbers that are in my address book. Since I have a 425 prefix, I was getting a ton of spam calls originating from numbers appearing to come from numbers with the first six digits the same as my own. After installing and configuring WideProtect, those spam calls dropped to zero. Well, until I just upgraded to an XS Max, and I was hit with a barrage of spam calls. Turns out, I had to re-configure the app. Now, I’m back to only calls I want.

You need to be careful about Mr Number and Hiya (their parent company) and other numerous call blocker apps like that. They upload your number plus all of your contacts to their servers. They say they won't misuse it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. You can do a google search for privacy concerns + Mr Number etc. to find out all about it.

I Googled it and came up with this article that says Mr Number was required to stop doing this in 2012, and the HiYa FAQ claims that the app may access your contacts with permission, but that the information does not leave your phone.

Am I missing something? I use Mr Number and this concerns me, if true.

Back
Top Bottom