Need to Repair or Replace Cell Phone

Another Reader

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a Samsung A 52 (I think) that may need to be replaced. Last Thursday, it stopped sending texts, showing them as "pending" Overnight, they were sent. Starting late Friday, the phone stopped sending and receiving texts and the phone stopped working as a phone. Oddly, the internet still works.

I can't even reset or shut the phone off, because it directs me to a program called Bixby, which I never set up. I called Verizon, but they could not help me because I did not have the account password.

At three years, I am willing to replace the phone if it can't be fixed. Replacing the Sim card as a last attempt was suggested by the Verizon sales guy. No idea how to do that.

My hope is that one of you tech savvy people here can advise me what to do next. I would at the least like to salvage all of the photos stored on the phone, if that's where they are. Standing in line at a Verizon store with Long Covid will be difficult, but I have to have a fully operational phone.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I have a Samsung A 52 (I think) that may need to be replaced. Last Thursday, it stopped sending texts, showing them as "pending" Overnight, they were sent. Starting late Friday, the phone stopped sending and receiving texts and the phone stopped working as a phone. Oddly, the internet still works.

I can't even reset or shut the phone off, because it directs me to a program called Bixby, which I never set up. I called Verizon, but they could not help me because I did not have the account password.

At three years, I am willing to replace the phone if it can't be fixed. Replacing the Sim card as a last attempt was suggested by the Verizon sales guy. No idea how to do that.

My hope is that one of you tech savvy people here can advise me what to do next. I would at the least like to salvage all of the photos stored on the phone, if that's where they are. Standing in line at a Verizon store with Long Covid will be difficult, but I have to have a fully operational phone.

First thing I'd try is to restart your phone. Instructions are here:

https://webtrickz.com/turn-off-restart-samsung-galaxy-a52/

Let me know how it goes.

It sounds like your phone was upgraded to Android 12 and the annoying new "feature" that makes the power button activate your Android Assistant (Bixby) was enabled. You can change that behavior in Settings / System / Gestures. In the meantime, you can get to the power menu by pressing the Power and Volume Up buttons at the same time.

1. Now that you know how to get to the power menu, try restarting the phone and see if that helps.

2. See if your photos have been backed up to photos.google.com. If not, you can turn that on in the Settings for the Google Photos app or in Settings / System / Backup.

3. After you're sure all your photos are backed up properly, try doing a factory reset on the phone.

If you have Amazon Prime, you can open an Amazon Photos account (free with Prime) and have all your photos automatically backed up to there.

These don't sound like things indicating that there is something wrong with the phone, but rather settings that are in effect that you may not be aware of.

Is the phone possibly in airplane mode? There were a couple of occasions where DW was having somewhat similar issues, and when I pointed out her phone was in airplane mode, she slapped her head.

As far as turning the phone off, does it go to Bixby if you're using the power button as well as when you try to restart from the on-screen button when you pull down from the top of the screen? If you still can't restart, open up the phone and pull the battery out for a minute.

My battery in my ~3 year old iPhone was starting to drain quicker and quicker. So I started to think about replacing the a battery. So, I could DIY, mail it in, or take it to a place to get it replaced. I didn't like any of the options so I'm buying an unlocked refurbished model for a little more money than just a battery. Guaranteed to have 90+% of the original battery capacity, the latest firmware/software updates, "look new" and tested for full functionality. It should be arriving in the next day or so.

Just need to swap my SIM card (pre 14 model) and I'm good to go for another ~3 years. I did the same thing 3 years ago and my refurbished phone cost me ~$85 then. This time it was about $150 for a 2021 model with twice the memory which it plenty good for me. Plus, I can sell my old iPhone for a few bucks at one of the local kiosks. YMMV

Last edited:
It sounds like your phone was upgraded to Android 12 and the annoying new "feature" that makes the power button activate your Android Assistant (Bixby) was enabled. You can change that behavior in Settings / System / Gestures. In the meantime, you can get to the power menu by pressing the Power and Volume Up buttons at the same time.

1. Now that you know how to get to the power menu, try restarting the phone and see if that helps.

2. See if your photos have been backed up to photos.google.com. If not, you can turn that on in the Settings for the Google Photos app or in Settings / System / Backup.

3. After you're sure all your photos are backed up properly, try doing a factory reset on the phone.

Pressing Power and Volume Up takes me to the Bixby screen. Can't get around that.

I'm thinking of running something that uses a lot of power/memory to see if the phone will die. Then a factory reset. Not really clear if this is possible...

These don't sound like things indicating that there is something wrong with the phone, but rather settings that are in effect that you may not be aware of.

Is the phone possibly in airplane mode? There were a couple of occasions where DW was having somewhat similar issues, and when I pointed out her phone was in airplane mode, she slapped her head.

As far as turning the phone off, does it go to Bixby if you're using the power button as well as when you try to restart from the on-screen button when you pull down from the top of the screen? If you still can't restart, open up the phone and pull the battery out for a minute.

How do I open the phone?

Try this:

Options for leaving Bixby

Press and hold the Side button. ...

Tap the Settings icon (it looks like a gear).

Then, swipe to and tap Leave Bixby. ...

Review the information that appears, and then tap OK.

From here, enter your Samsung account credentials to sign in, and then tap OK on the Delete requested popup.

or,
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00080449/

I'm thinking of running something that uses a lot of power/memory to see if the phone will die. Then a factory reset. Not really clear if this is possible...

You can do factory reset from Settings->General Management->Reset->Factory data reset

You could also try the other reset options on that screen short of doing factory reset.

Might be time to replace the Samsung. Not an Apple fan. Recommendations?

Wait, I stumbled on a restart. Seems to be working! However, I still think it might be time for a new phone. Suggestions?

Wait, I stumbled on a restart. Seems to be working! However, I still think it might be time for a new phone. Suggestions?

I recommend a Pixel phone. The best value right now is the Pixel 7a.

Google Pixel phones are known for excellent cameras and a smooth integrated software experience since Google created the Android operating system.

Check with Verizon first and ask if they have any upgrade offers available for you.

edit: oops - It sounds like you may not have a hardware problem after all.

I have had good luck replacing phones with refurbed ones on ebay.

-gauss

Google Pixel phones are known for excellent cameras and a smooth integrated software experience since Google created the Android operating system.

We like the pixels one of out 3as is still going strong :dance:

Good to hear. I'm on 2.5 years with my Pixel 5a. My wife's 6a is a bit over a year old. Everything just works on these things. We previously each had Pixel 2XL's before. They lasted 4 years.

I was at a friend's house Friday night and he had bought a Pixel 3a on my recommendation back in 2019. He said he was having problems with his new phone, Samsung A54, because he couldn't use voice searches or use voice-to-text typing. He said he wished he would've just gotten another Pixel.

It turned out that darn Bixby--Samsung's buggy prone Google Assistant knock-off--was the culprit. Once I shut that thing off he could at least search the internet using voice search.

I'll 3rd the Pixel recommendation. I got the Pixel 6 when it first came out. It takes absolutely stunning photos. Plus lots of other great features, like e-sim, 5G, great battery life, wireless charging, and more. Then about a year ago, DW needed a new phone. She usually gets mid-range Androids like the Moto G series for around $200-250. But this time, she wanted a phone that takes great photos like my Pixel 6. The Moto G cameras are pathetic. So we found her a <1 year-old Pixel 6 refurb on Amazon for $250. It was listed in "excellent" condition; and it was. We did a ton of traveling in 2023 and we're very happy to have so many amazing photos of the places we visited.

Another vote for Pixels. I've got a 6 Pro and love the battery life, camera, and overall simplicity.

I'll 3rd the Pixel recommendation. I got the Pixel 6 when it first came out. It takes absolutely stunning photos.
Then about a year ago, DW needed a new phone. She usually gets mid-range Androids like the Moto G series for around $200-250. But this time, she wanted a phone that takes great photos like my Pixel 6. The Moto G cameras are pathetic. So we found her a <1 year-old Pixel 6 refurb on Amazon for $250. It was listed in "excellent" condition; and it was. We did a ton of traveling in 2023 and we're very happy to have so many amazing photos of the places we visited.

Funny story. The friend I visited on Friday night sent me a photo of his new OLED TV on Thursday. I looked at the picture and said, "Man, that's a crap photo." I knew he had a Pixel 3a so I was wondering what went wrong. Then I found out he had replaced the Pixel with the Samsung phone. Mystery of the lousy photo solved!

My 2 year old, $150 refurbished iPhone arrive yesterday.:dance:
I was like a kid at Christmas. I spent about 3 hours yesterday setting it up. Moving the SIM card over from my old iPhone, downloading the latest ios version/updates, downloading all the apps I wanted, registering the phone with my online accounts, configuring all the options like I wanted, exploring the new stuff on the phone, and just playing with the new phone (well, new to me). Then as I was going to sleep I thought of a few more things I wanted to configure with the phone so I got up early to continue to play with my new toy.

And by the way, this refurbished (used) iPhone looks and works like it was brand new. A two year old cell phone technology "might not float your boat" but I love it.

Last edited:
edit: oops - It sounds like you may not have a hardware problem after all.

I have had good luck replacing phones with refurbed ones on ebay.

-gauss

+1 on refurbed! Get ours at backmarket com. Great savings.

Realize that if/when you buy a refurb phone you will be limiting the number of software updates and security patches you will receive in the future.

Back
Top Bottom