Changing demographics

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Baby boomers swell ranks of retirement-aged Canadians

Statistics Canada yesterday released another batch of information on the 2006 census and (surprise, surprise) the population is getting older. There is a great deal of debate about the effects of this on the economy. I can certainly attest to the fact that recruiting young workers is getting more and more difficult.

How will this affect the cost of goods and services that all of us will need to purchase while FIRE?

This is actually a great opportunity for FIREes who might be interested in occasional work to top up the portfolio. Sounds like the incentives will increase.

Don't bite me because I said that!

I think those who are in denial about quitting work will welcome the opportunity to work longer and pay taxes to fund our health care. Also the income assistance for seniors is an unfunded liability so it should ease the burden of that social program as well.

I would like to see them introduce a copayment of some kind for health care. Otherwise, we will see the return of budget deficits.

Baby boomers swell ranks of retirement-aged Canadians

Statistics Canada yesterday released another batch of information on the 2006 census and (surprise, surprise) the population is getting older. There is a great deal of debate about the effects of this on the economy.

Not to worry, the problem is getting better all the time
sad.gif

Baby Boomer Death Counter Clock - CANADA

Back
Top Bottom