Cheap Laptop Deal?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Sorry for yet another cheap laptop thread, but you saved me so much last time...

Looks like DWs old laptop with the non-functioning fans is running too slow, so we're going to replace it.

I find Dell Inspirons 1501s at around $400 in the scratch and dent bin at delloutlet.com. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

I saw some $350 deals on the laptop outlet, so now I'm spoiled, and feel like anything much over that is too overpriced.

I selected a $389 scratch and dent, but it was already gone.

Even the lowliest computer there is overkill for what DW needs (just gmail and surfing), but I've found that used laptops on craigslist are overpriced.

Got a refurbished Dell 1525 for $399. Went through FatWallet. Total with shipping, tax, environment fee: $457.

Any idea about the R series' battery life? I had a cheap laptop from Acer, and that thing was useless without a cord. Fifteen minutes of MS Office work would shut down the machine if it were not corded.

Just ordered a Dell Inspiron 530 from delloutlet.com ... amazing what $600 will buy (got the 20" flat panel sceen too!).

The new computer seems OK so far. From my first experiences, Vista has changed just enough stuff to make things hard to find.

I can't believe that Dell changed the keyboard layout (Del, Insert, etc.)!!! When are they going to learn that people sometimes use more than one computer, and would like to find the keys easily?

If you don't need a monolith-level monster some of the most interesting new machines are the "triple-e" laptops. Designed for developing countries, but they're really useful for someone who needs something more powerful than a PDA or smartphone but not as powerful as a "full-featured" thing. They have solid-state harddrives, (sometime) wi-fi, and tiny screens (6-10''), but they're great for basic word processing, internet, and light tasks. I've even seen videos of people working up a few games on them.

Back
Top Bottom