Cheap Rent or Cheap Travel

I'd rather live in a studio apartment that didn't have to be staged and perfect for real estate showings all the time! An apartment might be smaller, but at least I could kick back and relax, and put MY stuff in it (most of which would give stagers a heart attack, I'm sure).

I'd pass . You are providing a service plus your furniture so I think it should be free after all you will have to deal with annoying house showings and open houses .

I might do it if the market rent were $5000-$10,000 or more and I really wanted to stay in that particular place in that particular geographic location. With utility bills plus the $500 rent, plus staging with furniture and move in/move out expenses, it doesn't seem like a good idea otherwise. I'd probably rather rent a more modest place for $1000 or $1500 a month wherever I was going if I wanted to stay somewhere long term.

huh? Where am I going to get enough furniture to fill a house like that?

huh? Where am I going to get enough furniture to fill a house like that?

You can rent it. I sort of figured that is what I would do if I were to "house manage" for a few months. The cost certainly adds up though.

That's the hitch - if I'm paying $500 rent, $500 for furniture rentals and $500-1000+ for utilities, am I really that much better off than just getting a more affordable short term rental?

I read a similar article someplace else. My reaction was that it was not worth it. I like my messy house that I call my own, and not having to feel like fish in a bowl. In addition, you would have to move frequently. Not worth it.

I read a similar article someplace else. My reaction was that it was not worth it. I like my messy house that I call my own, and not having to feel like fish in a bowl. In addition, you would have to move frequently. Not worth it.

I agree, having to move frequently would be a killer for me. And since you're moving furnishings, ugh, what a hassle. Not cheap. Not easy. Not pleasant. Who does this?

I agree, having to move frequently would be a killer for me. And since you're moving furnishings, ugh, what a hassle. Not cheap. Not easy. Not pleasant. Who does this? Suckers, I think. The owner of the house is getting a live-in caretaker who brings their own (presumably appropriate) furniture, cleans the house, shows the house, and packs up and moves out when the house is sold -- and they also get $500/month or so in INCOME from this person.

Usually, you have to pay furniture rental, pay cleaners, and pay the mortgage. Sounds like a sweet deal to me -- for the owners.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom