Cheapwad Finds--Opposite of Blow That Dough!

vafoodie

Recycles dryer sheets
I feel like we need a thread for bargains that we find. I am thrilled with 7-11. My regular Starbucks order (iced cafe latte in summer/hot in winter) ran me $6. Some 7-11's now have these fancy self-serve new machines that make my lattes just as good as Starbucks. I bring my own cup and pay a refill price of $1.69. Every 7th drink is free. I also acrue fuel points. Today I got 11 cents off every gallon. I'm delighted with this find.
What is your cheapwad find?

2 chicken sandwiches at McDonald's for 4 bucks.

My wife found the Buy Nothing Project a few months ago.
https://buynothingproject.org/

It provides a way to connect with others in your local community to either:
* Give something away you currently have for free. This is a good way to repurpose stuff you no longer need.
* Ask for something you need, that someone else might be able to give you for free.

Through this network we have acquired a food processor, room fan, several board games, a collection of books, and several home decorating items. We have also given away several things we no longer needed.

vafoodie I feel like you need to change your username:dance::dance:

Maybe to 711fanboy?

Ibotta. We have earned over $1000 in instant rebates on the app.

* Give something away you currently have for free. This is a good way to repurpose stuff you no longer need.
* Ask for something you need, that someone else might be able to give you for free.

Through this network we have acquired a food processor, room fan, several board games, a collection of books, and several home decorating items. We have also given away several things we no longer needed.

We have one of these on FB for my county. People come up with odd requests and very often someone says "I've got one you can have!" Very tight moderation which makes it a very useful site. Helps me give away more valuable items (unused tablets, for example) to someone who needs it.

another option for the same purpose is FreeCycle https://www.freecycle.org/find-towns. i used to do a LOT of freecycling...mostly getting rid of stuff but i tired of people...the no shows, re-posting or keeeping track of others who asked for the same item, etc. it got to be work. now all of that sort of stuff goes to Goodwill.

Yes, the Buy Nothing groups are fantastic. When our dog had to have ACL surgery, I got a pen and steps that would have cost a pretty penny. It’s a great feeling to know someone really benefits from your castoffs! A few of us from our group even got together for drinks.

Last edited:
Minor League Baseball games. Dollar Tuesdays are the best here, $1 entry, $1 dogs, popcorn, peanuts, beer and soda. Have other deals too. A lot of entertainment and fun for the money.

Costco STILL has the hot dog and refillable drink for $1.50! That deal is better and better every day - and, likely more in peril.

.......... Very tight moderation ......
My local one has too tight moderation. Someone posted an item they were looking for and I replied that I didn't have one but the local Habitat ReStore had a bunch for almost nothing. My post got pulled and I was admonished. Screw those guys. :LOL:

Almost nothing is not free. How dare you suggest paying for anything on a free site.

I buy tickets for plays on the preview nights. We have a couple of plays coming up and the preview night discounts save around $100 per show. We'll both be old enough soon for senior Clipper cards, discounts for the trains and ferries, which is 50% to 62% off the regular fare prices. We have a few seat filler memberships, where we get unsold event tickets free or cheap. The local libraries have free passes to many of our area's cultural attractions. I also keep an eye on Facebook for specials, park and rec and college events. Between our discount event tickets and Clipper cards we should be able to have a lot of day trips and event nights at pretty minimal costs in the coming year.

I go to Savers on Tuesdays once or twice a month. 30% off for seniors. I found a pair of pants, Athleta Brooklyn pants, normally about $89 or $99. Marked price was $10.99 less 30 percent. They are awesome pants for everyday, but I wanted them for travel. Was so thrilled!

I love it! Kinda going back to the ER old days before the "blow that dough" crowd took over. Anyone else remember dryer sheets?

I went to a 4H fair this weekend and they had a book tent. I got 2 hardcover books for $2.00 (one a recent title that was fascinating called the Personal Librarian about Belle da Coste Greene who passed as a white woman in the early 1900's and essentially curated the entire collection at the Pierpont Morgan Library) and Fire by Sébastian Junger who wrote The Perfect Storm, about being a front line fire fighter, I'm learning new terms (to me) like "jumper". I read the first one in two days!

A couple months ago I got about 7 books for $8.00 at my local library foundation sale, all excellent titles.

I know the library is free haha but I like paper and then I can put them in our Little Free Libraries in town when I'm done! It's kinda like looking for records on vinyl, when you find the perfect one(s) it's a thrill.

Love this thread.
I was about to pay $15 for the Airwick Freshmatic Air Spray with 2 refills on Amazon and I checked Walmart to discover I could get it under the Great Value brand with 1 refill for $8.77 and someone posted in the reviews that you could get generic refills for $1.25 at Dollartree that work.
For less than $10 this thing is amazing, it's on a shelf above the front door and it's set to release a spray every 30 minutes. The house has never smelled so good in years and the dog is fascinated, the spray sounds like a cat sneezing.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Va...hener-Refill-Linen-Fresh-6-17-Ounce/162151673

Great Idea for a thread--
When I was working, there was a 7-11 on my way, I discovered their coffee also--they had a cute little coffee cart set up with flavored creamers, various sugars/sugarfree packets, even stir sticks--all for the price of the coffee. No "extra charge"
If I recall, it was only about a buck at the time.
Our local one does not have this :-(.

DH found an old beat up side table sitting out on the sidewalk "free". He brought it home, sanded and refinished and it is gorgeous--real wood throughout.

Our local library has a "booktique"--used books, all $1. It is so popular, they got a new store in the main downtown area walkway.

I love it! Kinda going back to the ER old days before the "blow that dough" crowd took over. Anyone else remember dryer sheets?

But have you checked the PRICES on those things of late? Smaller boxes too though YMMV.

Free fuel for my car.

Bought a Tesla back when they offered free use of superchargers for life. I shrugged since electricity was cheap.

But this year it has really paid off! I drove myself on a couple of holidays this summer and basically travel for free. Looking at gas prices and charging costs on public chargers I have really lucked out.

Used 5-ish year old Tesla cars with free charging has become a hit among students - parents buy the car and let jr pay for charging - or use their time at a free supercharger.

I still mostly charge my car at home - don't save enough to sit at a charging station when I don't have to. But to get a free top up while having lunch on the road - yes please.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom