Cheese!!!

I'm very surprised no one has posted about this: Today (January 20) is National Cheese Lovers Day!

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-cheese-lovers-day-january-20/

Thanks! I’m glad you mentioned that. I had no idea.

Also been meaning to mention that the Kirkland Manchego is good. I made sure to get one that had some give. I don’t know what I was eating earlier that I didn’t care for but it wasn’t just one source.

I like the shorter aged cheeses - I prefer the texture. DH is a fan of longer aged cheeses - he likes the more intense flavors.

Thanks! I’m glad you mentioned that. I had no idea.

Also been meaning to mention that the Kirkland Manchego is good. I made sure to get one that had some give. I don’t know what I was eating earlier that I didn’t care for but it wasn’t just one source.

I like the shorter aged cheeses - I prefer the texture. DH is a fan of longer aged cheeses - he likes the more intense flavors.

I like the costco Machego as well. The price on the Affinois at $15 is really good. It is like $20 to $25 at local shops or Whole Paycheck.

Last night's dinner cheese/meat platter featured Affinois, a Bleu d'Auvergne, machego, and a local goat cheese with honey and meyer lemon (plus some prosciutto di parma and rosette de lyon).

Rogue Creamery in Central Point, Oregon, has the freshest and most flavorful Blue Cheese I've ever enjoyed. It has to be bought fresh from that location, where it glistens with moisture as they cut it off the wheel in front of you. Buying it pre-packaged from the market is a poor substitute IMO.

My personal favorite is the Smokey Blue.

Well, that’s too bad for those of us who don’t live in Oregon. I’ve enjoyed Rouge Creamery’s cheeses sold at Whole Foods and better cheese shops in NY/NJ. I’ve also ordered directly from them. Maybe not as fresh as going to the source, but still pretty darn good cheese. I pick up Rouge River Blue any chance I get.

How about Humboldt Fog and Cow Girl creamery goat cheese from CA. Aged mimolette, and German gorgonzola. I'm hungry!

Oooh, my local Trader Joe's has had Irish Porter Cheddar lately, and it's very good! I was tempted to get two pieces this week! :9

How about Humboldt Fog and Cow Girl creamery goat cheese from CA. Aged mimolette, and German gorgonzola. I'm hungry!

Big fan of Cyoress Grove which makes the Humboldt Fog. We love their Midnight Moon aged goat cheese.

I say the ”fancy” cheeses at our HEB and Sprouts are super expensive for small pieces too. I’m so happy when Costco carries a favorite and then we really stock up.

Whole Foods has Parmesan 28% off for prime members this weekend. Planning to perfect my cacio e pepe this week :)

A few more West Coast CA cheeses were available in the Monterey area.

I fell in love with the Point Reyes Toma - a semi-hard 90 day aged cheese. Just delicious and the texture I like.

Other cheeses readily available there I have access to here - Marin variations on Brie, Point Reyes blue (don't care for their more aged versions), Cypress Grove of course. While there we enjoyed a Cypress Grove Lamb Chopper (aged sheep cheese) which we never see here.

I'll probably have to order the Point Reyes Toma though - have to keep my eyes peeled in case it shows up locally but haven't seen it since returning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom