Chick Corea Returns to Forever - RIP

That’s too bad. We saw him just a few years ago and he was in top shape. Always enjoyed his music.

I actually become more of a fan of Al DiMeola and Stanley Clarke, but it all started with Return to Forever. They were amazing in concert.

Sad. I had tickets to see him with Gary Burton in the 80's sometime, but the show was cancelled.

Time to dig out my vinyl, I've got the Corea/Burton album and Return to Forever (light as a Feather). Have not listened in a long time.

-ERD50

Not really my kind of music, but he was obviously a very accomplished musician. RIP indeed.

John McLaughlin, led me to Chicks brand of fusion, both great musicians.

RIP Chick. I was just listening to "Romantic Warrior" this past weekend. Return to Forever and its members were popular on my college Jazz/R&B station in the 70s.

Not really my kind of music, but he was obviously a very accomplished musician. RIP indeed.

Certainly he wasn't a top 40 hitmaker. Listening to 70s fusion jazz required a trained ear and high quality drugs.

Certainly he wasn't a top 40 hitmaker. Listening to 70s fusion jazz required a trained ear and high quality drugs.

Guess I was 0 for 2.:LOL: Still, a real musician should be celebrated, no matter the genre.

Listening to 70s fusion jazz required a trained ear and high quality drugs.

Love that. My memory of Chick Corea was playing his “Time Check” in a high school jazz band as a keyboardist and our small group winning the sweepstakes trophy at the Hollywood Bowl.

Love that. My memory of Chick Corea was playing his “Time Check” in a high school jazz band as a keyboardist and our small group winning the sweepstakes trophy at the Hollywood Bowl.
That's very impressive! I played in a jazz competition at the Bowl in junior high, but didn't win a thing...

I had completely forgotten about this Return to Forever album that I had decades ago and loved! I stumbled across it yesterday when listening to the Weather Report album Heavy Weather on Apple Music. They had it queued up next.

Sorceress:

I didn’t need no drugs!

Still sounds great today.

Last edited:
I had completely forgotten about this Return to Forever album that I had decades ago and loved! I stumbled across it yesterday when listening to the Weather Report album Heavy Weather on Apple Music. They had it queued up next.

Sorceress:

I didn’t need no drugs!

Still sounds great today.

Yes it does. And I did go back and listen to my vinyl after my post back in February.

I had forgotten just how much I enjoyed the Light as a Feather LP, Flora Purim has a rather odd quality/approach to her voice, but it just works in that setting (for me). And Chicks approach to the Fender Rhodes is just great (love the sharp little punctuating staccato jabs, followed by mellow legato arpeggiated chords - all very tasteful and interesting. I had also forgotten that I even had Romantic Warrior. Then I recalled why, it's mostly a bit too "tweak-y /noodle-y" for my tastes, though your selection was a little less so, and quite enjoyable.

edit/add: Oh, and "Heavy Weather" - Birdland!

-ERD50

Sad. I had tickets to see him with Gary Burton in the 80's sometime, but the show was cancelled.

Time to dig out my vinyl, I've got the Corea/Burton album and Return to Forever (light as a Feather). Have not listened in a long time.

-ERD50

I’ll have to check out Light as a Feather, thanks!

I do know Flora Purim’s voice.

Back
Top Bottom