Class of 2022

I just noticed I'm on the list for July. You can go ahead and delete my name. I defected to the 2021 thread. Good luck to everyone on the exciting times ahead.

Looks like my time has arrived. Question is if it’s May or December.

roady-runner - Jan 2022
dadu007- - Jan 2022
oldmedic - Jan 2022
caninelover - Jan 2022
Escapevelocity - Feb 2022
kaudrey - Feb 2022
Ozinvestor - March 2022
Sean Pizzle - March 2022
Aiming_4_55 - March 2022
Dean56 - March 2022
Pompanobeach - April 2022
fassmac - April 2022
Goingcamping - April 2022
ejw93 - April 2022
Present Aside - April 2022
YVRRocketSurgery - April 2022
mmurphy111 - April 2022
cynicalbuthopeful - 1 May 2022
Jeffman52 - May 2022
GTP2022 - May 2022
Jim59 - 6 May 2022
nhcycling - June 2022
plex - June 2022
beernutzbob - June 2022
retire48in2018 - June 2022
Physics Guy - June 2022
Poopycat - June 2022
ImThinkin2019 June 2022
David3 - June 2022
Mrs & Mr Bustergordon - 30 June
Silent Walker - July 2022
Skyward1 - July 2022
CaliKid - September 2022
BGH1 - September 2022
firemediceric - October 2022
mountainsoft - December 2022
Panda Bear - XX 2022
Sam Cro - XX 2022
Dreams of Freedom - XX 2022
Callitaday - XX 2022
dd564 - XX 2022
Chris Texas - XX 2022
Bee4 - XX 2022
cyber888 - XX 2022
ecowtent-XX 2022
ExPatKiwi - XX 2022

I have to be careful not to be annoyed or critical of others and I hope they would treat me the same way. This includes thoughts on FIRE and retirement.

I hope family and friends will be supportive or understanding when I retire probably sometime in my mid 50s but maybe some will be annoyed or jealous. My wonderful wife is onboard with the idea to retire earlier than the traditional retirement age to go enjoy life so that’s all I really need in the form of external validation.

By the way, it can work both ways and I have a quick story to demonstrate that point. I just reached three years of service at my current employer and I am 47 years old. I have a coworker on my team doing the same job that I do that also just reached three years with the company. She is 46 years old.

At the beginning of a virtual meeting the other day she made the comment “3 down and 22 to go.” She went on to explain her desire to work 22 more years to reach 25 years of service with the company. She added that she wanted to work until she was 68 years old.

I just smiled and nodded my head without comment. Here is someone right at my age and length of service with the same company and her goal is to work more than two more decades. I smiled to myself thinking that I probably will be barely reaching 10 years of service with the company (meaning only 7 more years of work) before I plan to exit yet her plans are for three times that amount of work left. Her plans could change of course but that is what she told everyone.

My point is some people retire in their 30s. Alternatively some people work happily into their 80s. Most of us will fall somewhere in between. If you truly love your work how old you are is irrelevant. Retirement also is less of a priority. But if you hate your job or long for more freedom with your time then early retirement may be more of a priority.

We should be happy for anyone who has reached their individual retirement timetable and made that decision to leave the workforce regardless of what age they happen to be. I hope that people will be happy for me but if they aren’t I will still enjoy myself. But I will try to be happy for them and I will hope they get everything out of retirement that they dreamed.

Looks like my time has arrived. Question is if it’s May or December.

roady-runner - Jan 2022
dadu007- - Jan 2022
oldmedic - Jan 2022
caninelover - Jan 2022
kaudrey - Feb 2022
Ozinvestor - March 2022
Sean Pizzle - March 2022
Aiming_4_55 - March 2022
Dean56 - March 2022
fassmac - April 2022
ejw93 - April 2022
mmurphy111 - April 2022
Jeffman52 - May 2022
GTP2022 - May 2022
Jim59 - 6 May 2022
nhcycling - June 2022
plex - June 2022
beernutzbob - June 2022
Physics Guy - June 2022
Poopycat - June 2022
ImThinkin2019 June 2022
David3 - June 2022
Skyward1 - July 2022
CaliKid - September 2022
BGH1 - September 2022
Panda Bear - XX 2022
Sam Cro - XX 2022
Callitaday - XX 2022
dd564 - XX 2022
Chris Texas - XX 2022
Bee4 - XX 2022
cyber888 - XX 2022
ecowtent-XX 2022
ExPatKiwi - XX 2022

Great stuff. Well your in the right class. May gives you the whole summer to enjoy, December gives a bit of winter and a few months to summer climes. Dependant on where you are, of course.

If your set up financially then my preference would be May. In fact, May is my time. Every day working is a day less to enjoy your retirement.

We are starting to interview candidates to backfill my role. My boss asked me to help with initial interviews and I said sure, no problem. Though it is a strange feeling to be interviewing your replacement! Of course my boss reminded me that if I changed my mind, even at the 11th hour, she would happily pull the plug on the replacement and keep me instead! She also said if I change my mind down the road to call her - she would find some way to hire me back. That's actually a relief to know that I have that option. I can imagine a scenario where I go back from time to time as a contractor for them when they need an extra pair of hands.

We also had to submit our year-end evaluations (my megacorp operates on an offset fiscal year - each Oct 1 to Sept 30 - so it is our 'year end'). I kept mine to one paragraph and noted my early retirement at the end of this calendar year.

Time is going by way to slowly now!!!

We are starting to interview candidates to backfill my role. My boss asked me to help with initial interviews and I said sure, no problem. Though it is a strange feeling to be interviewing your replacement! Of course my boss reminded me that if I changed my mind, even at the 11th hour, she would happily pull the plug on the replacement and keep me instead! She also said if I change my mind down the road to call her - she would find some way to hire me back. That's actually a relief to know that I have that option. I can imagine a scenario where I go back from time to time as a contractor for them when they need an extra pair of hands.

We also had to submit our year-end evaluations (my megacorp operates on an offset fiscal year - each Oct 1 to Sept 30 - so it is our 'year end'). I kept mine to one paragraph and noted my early retirement at the end of this calendar year.

Time will fly in for you. Keep the mind off your finishing date by focussing on the moment. Try giving yourself a few milestones, say one a week.

I mentioned earlier about possibly bringing my leaving forward by a month. Decided not to bother. Only “saved” me 5 working days, but giving up a months wage and a month longer of Medical insurance.

Last edited:
Time will fly in for you. Keep the mind off your finishing date by focussing on the moment. Try giving yourself a few milestones, say one a week.

I mentioned earlier about possibly bringing my leaving forward by a month. Decided not to bother. Only “saved” me 5 working days, but giving up a months wage and a month longer of Medical insurance.

Yeah 5 working days for a month's wages is a pretty good deal.

I keep telling myself to just think about the next holiday (Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas) - but it is still just painfully slow! Maybe I'll just focus on counting down Fridays...which I should have 9 left after today, if my Dec 31st date doesn't push into January...

She also said if I change my mind down the road to call her - she would find some way to hire me back. That's actually a relief to know that I have that option. I can imagine a scenario where I go back from time to time as a contractor for them when they need an extra pair of hands.

The missus says I should try to ask for an unpaid sabbatical/1 year leave of absence to give me an out if I find early retirement isn't working out. It's rare but not unheard of. However, I don't see myself doing it though as I feel that once I'm out, I'm staying out.
Personally, I'm not considering coming back for stints as a contractor either though I might be slightly tempted if the contract terms are ridiculously favourable. For some projects, I've hired a few folks back from different departments as contractors because we needed help training on a few old applications that were still in use but the subject matter experts on them are slowing leaving the company/retiring.

We do quarterly evals. I need to enter Q4 comments before I leave for xmas holidays in December. And then I need to enter Q1 goals in January. Hopefully, that will be the last of it before I leave mid-April. Though, it'd be funny if I'm required to enter Q2 goals at the start of April.

Dropped Skyward1 as they appear to be jumping the gun and retiring this year. :)

roady-runner - Jan 2022
dadu007- - Jan 2022
oldmedic - Jan 2022
caninelover - Jan 2022
kaudrey - Feb 2022
Ozinvestor - March 2022
Sean Pizzle - March 2022
Aiming_4_55 - March 2022
Dean56 - March 2022
fassmac - April 2022
ejw93 - April 2022
mmurphy111 - April 2022
Jeffman52 - May 2022
GTP2022 - May 2022
Jim59 - 6 May 2022
nhcycling - June 2022
plex - June 2022
beernutzbob - June 2022
Physics Guy - June 2022
Poopycat - June 2022
ImThinkin2019 June 2022
David3 - June 2022
CaliKid - September 2022
BGH1 - September 2022
Panda Bear - XX 2022
Sam Cro - XX 2022
Callitaday - XX 2022
dd564 - XX 2022
Chris Texas - XX 2022
Bee4 - XX 2022
cyber888 - XX 2022
ecowtent-XX 2022
ExPatKiwi - XX 2022

The missus says I should try to ask for an unpaid sabbatical/1 year leave of absence to give me an out if I find early retirement isn't working out. It's rare but not unheard of. However, I don't see myself doing it though as I feel that once I'm out, I'm staying out.
Personally, I'm not considering coming back for stints as a contractor either though I might be slightly tempted if the contract terms are ridiculously favourable. For some projects, I've hired a few folks back from different departments as contractors because we needed help training on a few old applications that were still in use but the subject matter experts on them are slowing leaving the company/retiring.

We do quarterly evals. I need to enter Q4 comments before I leave for xmas holidays in December. And then I need to enter Q1 goals in January. Hopefully, that will be the last of it before I leave mid-April. Though, it'd be funny if I'm required to enter Q2 goals at the start of April.

Not sure if its different in Vancouver but here a one year leave of absence wouldn't guarantee you any role upon the end of it anyway. So it isn't used much that I know of since it is the same as quitting, then getting hired back later.

About 4 years ago I was RIF'd from a megacorp I had been with for 18 years. They told me in March, gave a large severance package, but then paid me a retention bonus to stay until the end of the year (they were transferring the department to a new location and wanted me to stay to train the new people when they were hired). At year-end, I had already secured a new position at my current megacorp starting January 1st (so the RIF was quite profitable for me!) and the weasle of a manager at the time said I could 'complete my evaluation if I wanted to'. I'm like, why would anyone want to? My bonus etc was already a fixed calculated number as part of the severance so its not like the evaluation even mattered. That guy was a real wierdo. I was glad to ditch that megacorp and landed in a better place.

I keep telling myself to just think about the next holiday (Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas)

That's what I am doing. I'm taking time off for Thanksgiving & Christmas. So, I only have 6 more weeks of w**k for 2021 :cool:

Not sure if its different in Vancouver but here a one year leave of absence wouldn't guarantee you any role upon the end of it anyway. So it isn't used much that I know of since it is the same as quitting, then getting hired back later.

I'm not sure about the local employment standards but my megacorp is good in the sense that they have documented policy around personal absences. I've come across a couple of folks that have taken advantage of it. One didn't return as they stayed overseas to care for their ailing mother. But for the ones that returned (and even folks returning from maternity/paternity leave or extended projects) it seems that while there will be a position for you, there isn't a guarantee you'll return to your same team but at least an equivalent position.
You can even retain benefits if one wanted to but you'd have to pay the monthly premiums out of pocket.

At year-end, I had already secured a new position at my current megacorp starting January 1st (so the RIF was quite profitable for me!) and the weasle of a manager at the time said I could 'complete my evaluation if I wanted to'. I'm like, why would anyone want to? My bonus etc was already a fixed calculated number as part of the severance so its not like the evaluation even mattered. That guy was a real wierdo. I was glad to ditch that megacorp and landed in a better place.
:LOL:

I'm not sure about the local employment standards but my megacorp is good in the sense that they have documented policy around personal absences. I've come across a couple of folks that have taken advantage of it. One didn't return as they stayed overseas to care for their ailing mother. But for the ones that returned (and even folks returning from maternity/paternity leave or extended projects) it seems that while there will be a position for you, there isn't a guarantee you'll return to your same team but at least an equivalent position.
You can even retain benefits if one wanted to but you'd have to pay the monthly premiums out of pocket.

:LOL:

Yes, paternity/maternity leave is different and is a 'protected' leave in the US - so you're guaranteed a role when you return. In some states 'Family Leave' to care for ailing parents or immediate family members is also a 'protected' leave - so guaranteed a role upon return.

But general 'personal leave' is unprotected here - so no guarantee of anything upon return.

Pretty sure I now have DW on board for 2022 FIRE more solidly .She was pushing for OMY.

I did some more work on my own spreadsheet to nail down the numbers a bit tighter, including options of when we would take SS (62, 65, or 67) and RMD's at 72 and there is no reason to go OMY. It just wont make any difference. Unless we increase our spend considerably or have a life and finance altering medical condition, our money will outlast us. :dance:

Pretty sure I now have DW on board for 2022 FIRE more solidly .She was pushing for OMY.

I did some more work on my own spreadsheet to nail down the numbers a bit tighter, including options of when we would take SS (62, 65, or 67) and RMD's at 72 and there is no reason to go OMY. It just wont make any difference. Unless we increase our spend considerably or have a life and finance altering medical condition, our money will outlast us. :dance:

I'm having trouble convincing the missus to retire along with me (though she is a few years younger). Even though a full pension is not critical for meeting our stretch retirement goals, she hates the idea of leaving money on the table with a reduced pension, particularly since her plan recently introduced additional penalties because too many people were retiring early and living longer!

I'm pretty much retiring for sure next year but OMY syndrome is something I think about. If I work another 5 years, I estimate I would increase my retirement income stream by 25%. We wouldn't need it to fund our original retirement goals but I think I could come up with some really fun stuff to spend it on. :LOL:

I'm having trouble convincing the missus to retire along with me (though she is a few years younger). Even though a full pension is not critical for meeting our stretch retirement goals, she hates the idea of leaving money on the table with a reduced pension, particularly since her plan recently introduced additional penalties because too many people were retiring early and living longer!

I'm pretty much retiring for sure next year but OMY syndrome is something I think about. If I work another 5 years, I estimate I would increase my retirement income stream by 25%. We wouldn't need it to fund our original retirement goals but I think I could come up with some really fun stuff to spend it on. :LOL:
Don’t think about OMY, it’s a year off your vocational freedom, time you will never get back.

Pretty sure OMY isn't going to happen but everything is getting "real" with my countdown now below 6 months.

I know the feeling. I DO NOT want to do OMY, but this is getting very close. I think, maybe wait until I am 55 and then it becomes even better financially. Then I recall the wise words on this site. Work is trading time for money. There comes a time when you are trading time that you will never get back for money that you will never spend.

Good stuff Jeffman52. When in May will you hang up your boots.

Thanks Jim! Not sure yet on an exact date. I just got her over the financial hump and realization that we don't need to work. But you are right, it really is time to set a date. We both work at the same mega-corp (22 years for me 32 years for her) It should be after we get bonuses for the year which can be pretty good and hard to just ignore.

Its going to leave the business in a bit of a pickle but I remind myself that they wouldn't blink an eye if it was their decision for us to go.

Trying for Oct 2022

You can update my goal from xx 2022 to Oct 2022 as I now have a firm date in my mind, where my employer has no knowledge and probably thinks I'm sticking around for another 10 yrs. My wife's company has recently announced being acquired and she may even beat me to the punch, depending on what they decide to do with her position.

One of the few positives to come out of these crazy pandemic times was to figure out a way to retire early and feel comfortable enough to do it. There's been a peace over this last year in our household because we were able to figure out a plan and feel truly blessed.

It's official. I have turned in my 7 months notice (I'm a teacher so everything happens at the end of the school year) and told family members that I'm retiring in June 2022.

This year is seeing a big turnover at my school so it is fun to watch the reactions when people figure out that I am not leaving because I'm fed up with the school or because I'm frustrated by expat life during Covid. So far my favorite response was a co-worker who said it was bloody brilliant but don't talk to her husband because he would want to do it!

Back
Top Bottom