Clinical trial process "plays God"

Interestingly, several ministers of health in Canadian provinces have pledged to support studies, including a follow up study of patients who have had the treatment. They are under a lot of pressure from lobby groups.
Nothing I'd like to see more. DB is in Europe now getting "follow up treatment" for his MS. Apparently (according to the docs there) they should have used stents instead of whateverplasty.
Let's do some studies. If it works, great. It's probably better and cheaper than today's treatment.
If it doesn't (SH!T HAPPENS), it will save a lot of patients a lot of money and heartache.

It's bad journalism, not bad science. Participation in a clinical trial is voluntary. Patients are informed they might get the trial drug. I hope I never find myself in the position where my last hope is a clinical trial. But if it is, I will volunteer.

There are two types of people in the world. Ones who look victims and ones who look for the greater good. Clinical trials do not have victims.

It's bad journalism, not bad science. Participation in a clinical trial is voluntary. Patients are informed they might get the trial drug. I hope I never find myself in the position where my last hope is a clinical trial. But if it is, I will volunteer.

There are two types of people in the world. Ones who look victims and ones who look for the greater good. Clinical trials do not have victims.
I agree with all but your last sentence. Some trial treatments have serious or fatal side-effects -- rare but not negligible. The greater good is compelling argument for supporting ongoing research, unless you are the one who is struck by one of those uncommon outcomes.

Back
Top Bottom