Closure

I love the scene at the beginning of the film Cape Fear as Deniro walks out of the gates of his prison, and the guards ask him "what about all your books?" He replies with his smirk already read them....and keeps on walking out the gate.

The day I walked out of my office for the last day was kinda like that, at least for me.  That was all the closure I needed.  The office door closed behind me. I walked out of there knowing I will never have to worry about the filing cabinets and e-mail que full of what is now someone elses problems.

I denoted all my white shirts, ties and suits when the company announced that the official business attire is causal.

Re: "Closure"... sort of.

LEX said:
I walked out of there knowing I will never have to worry about the filing cabinets...
When you turn over a Navy job, your relief is supposed to inventory the classified material and change the combination on their new (formerly your) safe. My relief signed for the classified material and I gave him the tools to change the combination, along with my double-sealed govt envelope holding its numbers.

Turnover in my old job was apparently kinda high-- three people over the next couple years.

I got a call last year, well over two years since my last day in the office: "Er, do you happen to remember the combination to your safe?" Of course it opened on the first try.

Good thing I turned in all my old office door keys, too...

It will be a few years before I can walk out. I am already thinking about it. I would probably take two weeks vacation and mail my resignation letter the first day. That way I don't need an exit interview, full inspection of my bags or a fake farewell lunch. Any more unnecessary contact on the day out will probably result in inappropriate behavior from my side, including telling the boss what I really think about him in my own words.

In the mean time I am just wondering what my job is all about - and the whole cube farm in general. I see all these people on the phone, shuffling papers, making presentations and manipulating numbers in little boxes. Then they get all in a bigger box and present/show off/knock others down and establish their importance for the moment. See and be seen, work on visiblity. The cube farm sometimes feels like a different planet or so. What is hot there, is completely trivial only one step outside of that door - wouldn't it be nice to never get through that door again..... Aaah, few more years.....

I am watching the movie 'corporations' at this time. Very interesting, but not a real motivator to go back to work on Monday.

Vicky

vic said:
Any more unnecessary contact on the day out will probably result in inappropriate behavior from my side, including telling the boss what I really think about him in my own words.

In the mean time I am just wondering what my job is all about -

]

The above quote could easily be mine.
I have to sit in meetings sucking on mints to keep from saying something true that would make my last year a living hell.

I know that once the doors close behind me it is all over and that anything I say won't make one little bit of difference one way or the other.

Kitty

Nords:

It must be gratifying to know you did the job well and you were not just some fungible Navy staffer so easy to replace any swabby could run your old traps.

I would bet there are many of those on this board that left gaping holes in their orgaizations when they ER'd, despite the typical smugness and general denial of their repective former mangement.

If one is competent enough to win the retirement game on their terms and schedule rather than the organizations they worked for they were most likely also good at other aspects of the job.

LEX said:
Nords:

It must be gratifying to know you did the job well and you were not just some fungible Navy staffer so easy to replace any swabby could run your old traps.
Thanks! It was great to be running a training department, and a lot of veterans end up doing that in their civilian careers.

Actually my goal was/is to have the job running so well that an untrained monkey could do it. Apparently it succeeded beyond my wildest dreams-- that approach was validated by the fact that it took two years for someone to realize that there might be something in the safe worth looking at. (It coincided with preparations for a nuclear-reactor training inspection.) The guy in the job now will probably have it for four or five years-- as I did-- and he's also a surfer converted to the ER philosophy so I have high hopes for him. We keep in touch and in fact today I'm taking some family/friends back to work for a tour. It's the first trip to the ol' office in three years and, now that most of the statutes of limitations have expired, it'll be interesting to see what kind of reception is waiting.

LEX said:
I would bet there are many of those on this board that left gaping holes in their orgaizations when they ER'd, despite the typical smugness and general denial of their repective former mangement.

If one is competent enough to win the retirement game on their terms and schedule rather than the organizations they worked for they were most likely also good at other aspects of the job.

Another take: Those competent enough to "win the retirement game on their terms" are also likely competent enough to either foster an organization strong enough to function reasonably well without them and/or identify and mentor a likely replacement for themselves. Some of us made it a priority to not leave a "gaping hole" when we departed, not necessarily to benefit former management, but out of respect for former co-workers (well, most of them ;)).

REW

Nords,
When I left the US in 1985 I left a Mosler full of classified (all kinds of words top and bottom of each page.) Six months ago, I tried to find the safe through CONUS security and they said the safe was not on their records (discarded). Shows how important my work must have been to the bosses.

When I graduated it seems that everyone at work was either 25 or 60 because the end of the Apollo program led to lots of layoffs in aerospace early 70's in Los Angeles. I got to mentor/train with men who pioneered the space program. And, even more important, I was bright enough to listen.

There were lots of notes passed on to me when those guys started retireeing in 1980 and they were in that safe. Wow, just realized that I would probably have worked for free in my twenties for peanuts in my thirties, for a good wage in my forties and can't pay me enough in my fifties.

Closure is personal. Everyone has there own way of walking away from their career , some better than others. My favorite in my work place. ... (airlines) .. was ... A Captian just came in from his "retirement flight" ... Cake ,coffee and a , "good luck, nice knowing you crowd" , were waiting around the table in flight operations. The Captian walks in , excuses himself to use the loo and no one ever sees him agian. The next person to use the Lav, walks in and notices a Pilots uniform in the trash can. The captian shed his skin and kept on walking. The folks in operations enjoyed the cake, and break from work.

Guess some jobs are easier to leave than others.

I have already shredded every piece of paper related to my job, except whay I need for next Monday - Wednesday. My business line will be shut off on Thursday and I will ship my company laptop back that day as well. My last paycheck will be auto deposited on Wednesday. That should be it!!

I have a turnover meeting scheduled for Monday morning and I imagine I'll speak to my manager one of those days.
I've already cleared all my emails out and only have my hard drive to clean up. I'm ready !!

It will be very hard to pretend I'm working next week...

KB .. i'm sure all will be done with the biggest :D you can muster. Congratz

My last 2 years of work were the best of times and the worst of times.

I had a "true" single point failure job. Sort of like being the pilot on a single pilot plane and the next most qualified is a short oder cook passenger. So I had em by the short and curlies.

The new site manager was a petty bureaucrat with a knowledge veneer so thin you could see right thru it. His favorite technique was to hold up his index finger and say, "Let me tell you why my plan is better".

After he had been there 3 months, I knew I was leaving. He was literally afraid to speak to me for fear I'd quit. He finally asked me into his office and asked that whatever differences we had, let's resolve. I turned in my resignation a week later. RESOLVED.

I had to stay 8 more months to train a replacement. Longest 8 monts of my life but I owed it the few worthwhile coworkers not to harm them.

When I got laid off, I asked my former boss about my (the company) laptop, he said "what laptop", probably out of guilt,. Since that the only PCs I have always had were from the company which I used for business and personal use. That saved me at least $1000 dollars.
After about 2 weeks, I removed all references of my company. :D

I sold, gave away or trashed most of my stuff when I moved to Thailand. I do have some personal things (could easily fit into a pick-up) stored at my parents house.

For some reason -unknown even to myself- I did bring about 15 long sleeve, white shirts to Thailand. Gives me lots of face when I go to immigration, the bank or bar beer :D

Lance, in weekend mode

Lancelot,
If I decide to retire to Bangkok, I'm bringing 2 roll-on suitcases. Whatever fits, fits, whatever don't stays behind.

OldAgePensioner said:
Lancelot,
If I decide to retire to Bangkok, I'm bringing 2 roll-on suitcases.  Whatever fits, fits, whatever don't stays behind.

OAP,

You're gonna do just fine in Bangkok. Ben and I are waiting :D

Lancelot,
What's rent on condo's like there? I'm paying $2750/month rent in Chicago and was wondering what that would get me in Bangkok.

OAP,

A palace...

You can lease a serviced apartment here for about US $500 per month.

http://www.vptower.com/

US 2,750 = THB 110,000 @ US$ 40 : 1

My girlfriend says a MD in a Thai govt. hospital can earn up to THB 40k. (Sounds high to me, but she's Thai, so she should know...)

Relax buddy. Finish your contract, then retire to Bangkok. You'll never regret it.

Lance

Hey Lancelot,
That link brought back memories of Panthip Plaza. This pretty young Thai sales girl on the first floor kiosks pointed me to where the "copy" software stores were. She gave me a very nice smile and I looked back to see if she was looking back at me.

I was unsure of how safe it was to shop in the "copy" stores. She came up to help me understand the dealing. Now, how many times do you get that kind of service in the US.

Needless to say, I spent a half hour chatting with her when I came back down to the first floor. She had the most amazing white teeth and shining black hair. Ahh, those were the days.

$2750! That could get you about 400 m2 with river view, pool,gym,guard,cable,electricity/water/internet Etc. and still enough left over to buy Lancelot and I some of those cheap beers every night! :D

Just the thought of cheap beer is enough to convince me to move to Thailand. First shout is on me.

Hey Guys,

I am planning to visit LOS in late October for about 30 days just under the visa radar. I am really looking forward to this trip as it will be my 1st to LOS. I will be scouting out the terrain to consider either living there part time or retiring. Maybe I can meet you guys and buy you a couple of rounds after I land.
Between OAP , myself and $10, we should all have hangovers for the next 6 months.

MJ :D

Back
Top Bottom