Comedian Norm Macdonald dead at 61

I was really surprised when I heard the news. Didn't realize he was privately fighting cancer for a number of years.

I really enjoyed a number of his segments on the various iterations of Conan O'Brien's shows because Conan seemed to egg him on. His comedy was so underappreciated IMO. On the surface, much of it comes off as just absurd crazy uncle stuff but there was a lot of method behind the madness.

[Whoops duplicate thread]

Norm's brand of comedy was an acquired taste that tickled my palate on more than a few occasions. RIP Normy.

I liked him on SNL, and his appearances on "The Middle". RIP.

Why is it when someone dies that people want to be the first to post it here? Any idea what that is about?

McDonald wouldn't let up on the "Simpson is a murderer" quips...so he was booted from SNL because one of NBC's execs was a close friend of OJ Simpson at the time...close enough that the exec even threw a party for jury members after the acquittal.

Why is it when someone dies that people want to be the first to post it here? Any idea what that is about?

Perhaps they want to DISCUSS it? Last time I checked, this was a DISCUSSION FORUM. How should we proceed? Wait a day? A week? Or perhaps no discussion at all would be better? :angel:

Last edited:
Perhaps they want to DISCUSS it? Last time I checked, this was a DISCUSSION FORUM. How should we proceed? Wait a day? A week? Or perhaps no discussion at all would be better? :angel:

Not just that but the demographics here sort of skew ehhh.. "mature." Even most of the youngest here are highly middle-aged so can imagine being 60. And we all think we will live a long time and surmount whatever horse-crap life thinks it can dump off on us. Why not? We already have. But then you see something like Norm and realize 60 is too close, too old, and life is too precarious, too capricious, all our efforts are small, and we are all ultimately like that jackass in a hailstorm who is forced to just stand there and take it. We need to poke the wound and tell ourselves it doesn't really hurt.

Not just that but the demographics here sort of skew ehhh.. "mature." Even most of the youngest here are highly middle-aged so can imagine being 60. And we all think we will live a long time and surmount whatever horse-crap life thinks it can dump off on us. Why not? We already have. But then you see something like Norm and realize 60 is too close, too old, and life is too precarious, too capricious, all our efforts are small, and we are all ultimately like that jackass in a hailstorm who is forced to just stand there and take it. We need to poke the wound and tell ourselves it doesn't really hurt.

Are you calling me "highly middle aged"?!? :cool::LOL:

I think you are right, though. The death of someone in Hollywood rarely evokes an emotional response in me but Norm's was different. Not sure if it was his young age or how I just thoroughly enjoyed him as an entertainer most of my adult (and young adult) life and knowing that he is forever silenced...well, that sucks. Much like the loss of Robin Williams which bothered me quite a bit as well.

Doesn't somebody have to be first?

Without a first, there would be no discussion, and some people think it worthwhile to reflect on the life of some of these people.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom