Concerns About Inflation?

Just threw away a Great Clips receipt from Jan 21, 2020. The old people's haircut was $12.00.

Two years later, the price of that haircut has risen 33%, to $16.00.

That's a lot more than the official inflation rate.

Just threw away a Great Clips receipt from Jan 21, 2020. The old people's haircut was $12.00.

It's $18 where DH nd I go! Maybe they each price their own?

My barber has raised her senior haircut fee from $18 to $22.

I am just glad she survived the Covid shut downs. About half the places in the same strip mall are gone. When the 17 year old handing out chicken sandwiches can start at $17 an hour, $22 for a haircut doesn't seem outrageous to me given the overhead of operating the shop, licensing, and the need for her to earn more than a part-time job living. My area is just a high COL area. The only way to fix it is to move to Frostbite Falls, MN.

Last edited:
My wife still does my haircuts for free, but with inflation raging, I'm not going to count on that.

It's $18 where DH nd I go! Maybe they each price their own?

I took dd there a few months ago and it was $22! She’s six and has long hair that just needed a trim. I was expecting it to be way cheaper.

I should point out that it's not that I consider $16.00 outrageous for trimming my long hair (and I tip well, because I want those hairdressers to keep coming to work).

It's the fact of a 33% rise in 2 years that is a bit shocking.

Don't they have an under-12 discount?

I took dd there a few months ago and it was $22! She’s six and has long hair that just needed a trim. I was expecting it to be way cheaper.

My barber also charges more for men with long hair. They pay almost as much as women do for a haircut. She only gives the senior discount to men.

Our monthly visit to Costco was about $160-$180 only 2 years back. This year for a plus-minus similar cart we pay $300-$340.

Yeah, I mentioned months ago in multiple places that I've seen my expenses go up 15% to 20% since the pandemic, with some things up much more than that (like home maintenance/improvement projects). But it's continued shooting up, and I think I underestimated my total inflation (based on prices, not a change in consumption).

I went to Great Clips in late December, and I think it was $16, but I got $2 or $3 veteran discount, then tipped. I have short hair - I haven't been to that location for a haircut since to know if it's gone up in the last three months.

Last edited:
I thought I wasn't too concerned with inflation.

Then the propane guy showed up this morning and filled up the 325 gallon tank (which was practically empty) to the usual 80%, to the tune of $4.99/gal. Plus the little miscellaneous fees (hazmat, etc) and taxes.

For the foreseeable future you can find me crying quietly in the corner. On the plus side, I will be really warm!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/57/ce/08/57ce08a44ddadd33ec958e779d2115c8.gif

I thought I wasn't too concerned with inflation.

Then the propane guy showed up this morning and filled up the 325 gallon tank (which was practically empty) to the usual 80%, to the tune of $4.99/gal. Plus the little miscellaneous fees (hazmat, etc) and taxes.

For the foreseeable future you can find me crying quietly in the corner. On the plus side, I will be really warm!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/57/ce/08/57ce08a44ddadd33ec958e779d2115c8.gif

That's a great gif!

Sorry to hear about the propane cost though. Ugh.:facepalm:

That's a great gif!

Sorry to hear about the propane cost though. Ugh.:facepalm:

It is certainly a good reflection of my current state of mind as I sit here perusing the propane bill. :D

However, after growing up in New England with a cheap (not frugal) father, I spent too many years shivering in our 100+ year-old home. I like my comfort, and I am willing to pay for it. It is really the only thing I BTD on. :LOL:

Last edited:
My wife still does my haircuts for free, but with inflation raging, I'm not going to count on that.

Likewise DW is still providing free haircuts. However her hair stylist makes up for it tenfold.

It is certainly a good reflection of my current state of mind as I sit here perusing the propane bill. :D

However, after growing up in New England with a cheap (not frugal) father, I spent too many years shivering in our 100+ year-old home. I like my comfort, and I am willing to pay for it. It is really the only thing I BTD on. :LOL:

Haha, I grew up in Connecticut and heated with wood in the 1970's. But fuel oil back there at that time was $0.50/gallon!

I'm long gone from there now!

Although my hair is past my shoulders, I only have the barber cut it straight across, since I want it all the same length.

I've seen the care that barbers take with men's hair, especially men who don't have that much left and want to make the most of it. They darn near cut each strand individually. Takes longer than mine does.

My barber also charges more for men with long hair. They pay almost as much as women do for a haircut. She only gives the senior discount to men.

1) Ordering out became cheaper for us, after the pandemic. Now we seldom do sit inside restaurants.

We use to eat out at buffets, until the pandemic came. We have a great Golden Corral near here and they have juicy fire-grilled steaks on their open grill. DW and I pay like $26-$27 for one lunch buffet meal. Now, I take out 6 slabs of grilled steak, some southern fried chicken, and corn, they weigh it per pound. I paid $24+ bucks for it last time, and it's like 4 - 5 meals instead of 1 meal - and we just eat it at home. We freeze the steak and we reheat it and the flavor taste the same.

We also use to go to a good Chinese buffet that has endless Fresh Fried Shrimp, Calamari, Crabcakes and other seafood, and they also stir fry hibachi. We also pay like $26-27 for lunch buffet. Now we take out 3 boxes and they weigh it and cost $30+ and the shrimp and other seafood and stir-fry hibachi last us like 7 - 8 meals.

We're doing the same for a really good Indian restaurant that use to offer buffet, but now we order out with lamb curry, tikka masala, tandori chicken, ghee cheese with spinach, and what we paid for buffett last us like 5 - 6 meals.

Now we like eating at home with so many food. It's like having a buffett inside our house.

But we noticed that as we got older, we consume so much less food too.

2) Gas

I don't spend much on gas as I only go to the office once a week and it's an 18 minutes commute. I work much more from home. I put gas once a month and I probably pay $10-$12 more with gas prices today compared to last year. My cars are all 4 cylinder turbos. I have this Bimmer 228i which I boosted with a chip and can do 4.5 seconds 0-60 but I get more than 30-32 MPG on the highway, and around 26 MPG.

3) Hair - zero
My wife and I always cut our own hairs. So, $0 cost on hair cutting.

4) Cutting Grass - zero

I have a rechargable Electric Mower & Cutter which is easy to use to cut my grass. No need for gas. I love doing this. This is my exercise. My neighbors spend $200-$250 a month having someone do the grass trimming for them.

5) Traveling - Timeshare & Europe

We have a Timeshare that we pay $900+ a year and I could use 3 - 4 weeks in various locations - Florida, the Carolinas, Vegas, Colorado, Utah, Canada, Europe. We spend like $180 to exchange the time share for a 2 - 3 bedroom 4-5 star resort like Marriot.

When traveling to Europe we get used to traveling by bus, rail or public transport if it's a city or metropolitan area. If outside the city, that's when we rent a car.

There are always ways to save.

Last edited:
My hair is a Jean-Luc Picard style. I never got a discount for this. Took my barber minutes.

25 years ago DW decided to give it a try. We've banked thousands since then.

Cutting a Captain Picard style is not difficult.

I have to look up Jean-Luc Picard to see his hairstyle. :)

My hair is more like Brad Pitt's, except that I don't wear mine as long anymore. My wife uses a hair clipper to keep it off my nape of the neck and trims it off my ears. Hair on the neck and ears would drive me insane. I don't know how I could stand it in my youth.

My wife started cutting my hair since Covid, and this has been going on for more than 2 years now. She does not do as good a job as the hairdresser, but I am not particular.

Speaking of inflation, with a WR lower than 1%, I notice the price increases, but it will take a while before it affects my spending.

I stopped having my hair colored during the pandemic and bought some knock off brand Crea Clip cutting guides from Amazon so I can cut my hair myself at home. I can even brush it forward and cut the back myself with the guides. I only went to a stylist a couple of times last year to have some layers put in. DH switched to a local strip mall place near our house that is small and usually not very busy during the pandemic. He pays $30 with tip, but he was paying $60 plus extra gas and parking before that. He has a basic man's hair cut so it looks the same. He also gets it cut shorter now so he doesn't have to go as often. I don't know if the strip mall places charges more than they used due inflation, but for us our hair costs went down by over $1K so our personal inflation rate for hair costs is still much less. Even if the hair place started charging 20% more, in total dollar terms that is only an extra $50 a year since he doesn't go every month, so it wouldn't matter much to our budget.

DIY V Layers or U Layers yourself at home! - YouTube

Last edited:
Been going to the same barber for decades (Henry). He can cut my hair (full head of hair) in 15 minutes. Cost is $15 and I give him a $5 tip.

He has owned his shop for over 30 years and is a fixture in our community. He drives a County school bus every morning and afternoon too. He is 66 years old and still works from 5 AM to 10:00 PM (still cuts hair to 10:00 PM or later).

https://communityimpact.com/the-woodlands/business/2016/02/10/henrys-woodlands-barber-shop/

Henry Sneed began cutting hair in 1978 and opened Henry’s Woodlands Barber Shop in 1992.

Henry Sneed points to dozens of university flags decorating the walls of his barbershop, each matching a pendant from the client who gave it to him. Sneed said he has been cutting hair in the area since 1975 but specializes in old-fashioned haircuts, good conversation and love.

“Everyone who walks through our door—even if I cut their hair one time—the next time they walk in the door, I can tell you their name and something personal about every last one of them,” Sneed said. “I really connect with people.”

Henry.jpg

I have a pair of Wahl clippers and the snap-in plastic guides which allows me to cut my hair in about five minutes. I do so out in the farm, with an extension cord -- so I don't care where the hair lands. It can blow around the farm.

I have a pair of Wahl clippers and the snap-in plastic guides which allows me to cut my hair in about five minutes. I do so out in the farm, with an extension cord -- so I don't care where the hair lands. It can blow around the farm.

That's exactly what I do, clippers with a depth guide and just cut outside. Zero cost per haircut, and DW does final trim around ears and back of neck.

Now if I can figure out a way to lower her haircutting costs? At least I did get her to embrace natural color (mostly grey, like mine!) and no coloring the hair.

Last edited:
3 years ago my barber raised the price from 10 to 12 and a few months ago went up to 15 I always gave them 20 so no difference to me.

Make sure she does not see this thread, where people talk about having to pay [-]$18[/-] $22 before tip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom