Condensing Furnace and Humidity

What is proper humidity for your Home ??

I forgot that we're different from most: We are always trying to lower the humidity. We have two dehumidifiers. We're close to the ocean, and everything here either rusts or molds.

We're thrilled to see humidity around 50%.

I've witnessed more than one puzzling rapid destruction of a 90% furnace due to it pulling in/burning corrosive chemicals.

One time it was a chair manufacturing plant that cut up purchased foam blocks for the chair seats. Back then that foam Mfr. used Freon to expand the foam in its mfg. process. Also used a degreaser on the blades that cut the foam to clean them. It ate a +90% furnace in less than a year. I was aware of this issue, as I previously observed even industrial separated (sealed) combustion heating units destroyed in a foam processing plant. It ate all of the Reznor heating units. Pool heating units - water or atmosphere have to address this common issue caused by chlorine (even trace amounts).

Used to be beauty shops killing heat exchangers in furnaces Hair Spray, what a great toxic and corrosive chemical cocktail, chlorinated solvents and who knows what else.. These days it's the nail salons. Nasty toxic environment

Sometimes code requires a special type of flex gas line against earthquakes.

Does stainless steel protect against corrosive intake gas? IIRC Carrier advertises their stainless heat exchanger as a benefit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom