Confessions of an under-accumulator of wealth

It really amazes me when I read about cost of living in most states bordering the east and west coasts. I don't think I could spend $40K/year if my life depended on it (and I'm trying!!! See the Wii thread :2funny:). It's not a matter of being super-virtuous, as much as a matter of increasing disparity in cost of living between some east/west coastal communities and other regions of the country.

I think what we are dealing with here, are two increasingly separate economies, and it is very difficult to compare the two. I feel for LaurenceWill, because as far as I can tell he lives in a location with back-breakingly high cost of living.

Same here.

In a year or two I shall start taking money out of various retirement accounts (and will probably reinvest most of it).

Next you'll tell me that it's not the land of milk and honey and not everyone looks like they could be an extra on Baywatch.

I had a coworker that moved in 2000. He sold his 3000 sq ft house with the 10 minute commute to work for $300k to move to LA. He was estatic because he only had an hour commute to work and his 2300 sq ft house there cost him only $850k.

Marquette, do not pass "go," do not collect $200, move to The Coast while you still believe in Santa Claus. >:D I did it from Madison, WI in 1974, and have never been disappointed. The reason most of us look like Baywatchers is that we just moved here from swimming in Midwestern waters.

Next you'll tell me that it's not the land of milk and honey and not everyone looks like they could be an extra on Baywatch.

I had a coworker that moved in 2000. He sold his 3000 sq ft house with the 10 minute commute to work for $300k to move to LA. He was estatic because he only had an hour commute to work and his 2300 sq ft house there cost him only $850k.

There's all kinds of cheap luxury housing in CA - here's 1000 sq. feet built in 1960 selling for a paltry $180k. Granted, it's a few hours from anywhere.... You have to hydrate the heck out of the cows and bees to get any milk and honey, but growing a Baywatch extra hide that looks like rich Corinthian leather is easy.

Last edited:
There's all kinds of cheap luxury housing in CA - here's 1000 sq. feet built in 1960 selling for a paltry $180k. Granted, it's a few hours from anywhere.... You have to hydrate the heck out of the cows and bees to get any milk and honey, but growing a Baywatch extra hide that looks like rich Corinthian leather is easy.

Hey, it's got a stark beauty to it. I would need air conditioning, though.

LOL, I should clarify that we get take out a lot, "Honey, can you pick up something on the way home, it's been a day."

While the kids are pretty darn well behaved, we keep it strictly buffet style when we go out with them.

Laurence, I think you are doing remarkably well given that you have kids! Most people find that this is the most expensive phase. If there's an opportunity here, it's in meal planning. Why not have a bulk BBQ/cooking session once a month and freeze the results? That way, you won't be under pressure to purchase expensive and potentially unhealthy food after a long day at work.

Laurence, don't be too hard on yourself. At your age we had 2 young kids, had just moved to the USA and were enjoying life enormously. We always had no debt except for a mortgage and spent everything we had (kept savings accounts for vehicle depreciation, vacations and an emergency account). I didn't start start planning for the long term until we were age 38, and I don't have any records of net worth, investments or anything prior to age 39. At that point we had a net worth of $156K which included house equity of $60k - that was in 1994. We then set an ER target of 55 and it looks like we are going to make it. So enjoy yourself, you are doing just fine.

blueberries, strawberries, pears, rasberries, and plums all grow fine here in the Midwest.

Of course, for some reason most people just grow apples. :D

Minneapolis... you get apples... and apples... and apples... and watermellons on one day in July, unless a tornado destroys the field then you just get apples again.

blueberries, strawberries, pears, rasberries, and plums all grow fine here in the Midwest.

Of course, for some reason most people just grow apples. :D

Watermelons too. Geez in Minn you can grow huge fields of them. In between serving summer time snow cones ;)

Watermelons too. Geez in Minn you can grow huge fields of them. In between serving summer time snow cones ;)

I already pointed out that we get watermelons if the tornadoes don't suck them up on harvest day.

I think I saw a fire ant the other day too... driving in the HOV lane no less.

Let me guess - he was in a big 4WD pickup truck.

No, this was a Minnesota fire ant I think. Ford Excursion with a soccer mom logo on the back. On his cell phone and drinking starbucks at the same time too.

No, this was a Minnesota fire ant I think. Ford Excursion with a soccer mom logo on the back. On his cell phone and drinking starbucks at the same time too.

This must be a close relative of the southern california suburban fire ant...

Back
Top Bottom