Confusing SSA chart regarding benefit

MercyMe

Recycles dryer sheets
Estimating SSA Benefit if Retiring Early

When I log into my SSA account to see my future benefits, how do I find my benefit estimate if my plan is to retire next year at 53 and no longer contribute to SS? I believe it currently shows a benefit assuming that I will work (and contribute to SS) until FRA.

Last edited:
I’m subject to WEP and used the calculator specific to that but it would let me plug in my retirement year and then I could put my earnings to zero for current year and/or the next year and my estimate would be based on that information.
Isn’t there a similar calculator for non WEP?

When I log into my SSA account to see my future benefits, how do I find my benefit estimate if my plan is to retire next year at 53 and no longer contribute to SS? I believe it currently shows a benefit assuming that I will work (and contribute to SS) until FRA.

There should be a calculator about 1/3rd to 1/2 way down you can input retirement age (62 and higher in monthly increments) and future earnings. Put in zero for future earnings. That should get what you need. It will be a guess as there is no way to predict COLA.

Use this and input your earnings up to 53 and what age you want to retire. That's it.

https://ssa.tools/calculator.html

Thanks. Just tried that out and got the same number as when I tried djsander's suggestion. Guess we're good to go.

Use this and input your earnings up to 53 and what age you want to retire. That's it.

https://ssa.tools/calculator.html

Thank you! This is the first calculator I've seen where not only do you not have to enter each year's income manually but you can enter estimates of future years of employment AND include "zero" years of income until actually collecting - triple jackpot! :dance:

Back
Top Bottom