Consumer Reports survey: Hybrids are most reliable vehicles

I don't know if my favorite independent mechanic knows how to work on hybrids. I really dislike going to dealers for service.

The range of my car is 800 kms (500 miles), and if I need more it takes 5 or 6 minutes to refuel almost anywhere. Range anxiety and advance planning before I even go on a road trip is more of an inconvenience and more stressful to me than taking 5 or 6 minutes to refuel when I know that gas stations are everywhere.

Oil changes every 6 - 8 months are not an inconvenience. Maybe one day an EV will appeal to me but not yet.

All true, but your gummint has made it clear that they are not happy with your choice.:facepalm: That's never a good thing.:angel: I know 'cause I have two ICE myself. YMMV

I agree. With all the computer systems onboard these days, they sometimes get corrupted. A reboot, will usually fix the problem.

Google "2022 ford maverick shuts off while driving"
You'll see what problems others have had with their new Mavericks.

They need the three magic buttons on the dash, CTRL, ALT, DEL.

I bought one of the very first Model S vehicles. You were right about the Model S door handles, but it's been quickly fixed to the point that it's one of the more reliable part of the car. And the rest of the car is pretty reliable. This is from one of my favorite Youtube channels. Matt is a highly experienced mechanical engineer, builder, and tinkerer and worked at Tesla years ago. He is funny & witty. All of his videos are very fun to watch and nearly all of them aren't about Tesla:

Great video, Near the end he says the magic word: eventually.

I recently started reading my January 2023 issue of Consumer Reports.

The hybrid quality advantage has a few important caveats:

1.) The general statement that hybrids are more reliable applies mainly to non plug in models as I read the article. The so-called plug-in hybrids have more problems than ordinary hybrids. In the case of the RAV4 it is even less reliable than the non-hybrid version of the car.

2.) IMO, You must check the individual ratings. The worst reliability score goes to the Ford F150 hybrid which has a score of 4. Yes, 4. NOT 40. Just FOUR. The regular Ford 150 has a score of 28.

To add some perspective, the top rated Corolla hybrid scored 93.

Last edited:
Interesting the RAV4 Prime is in high demand with stories of dealers marking it up 5-figures.

I have a 2022 RAV4 Prime, and it is the most amazing car I have ever owned. That being said, I do realize the complexity of having two complete propulsion systems in one car seems like asking for trouble. It feels like a transition step on the way to all-electric.

When they come out with a fully electric RAV4 with decent range, I will most likely trade mine in. As it is now, my car is "worth" more on the trade-in market than I paid for it. So there's that. :)

I have a 2022 RAV4 Prime, and it is the most amazing car I have ever owned. That being said, I do realize the complexity of having two complete propulsion systems in one car seems like asking for trouble. It feels like a transition step on the way to all-electric.

When they come out with a fully electric RAV4 with decent range, I will most likely trade mine in. As it is now, my car is "worth" more on the trade-in market than I paid for it. So there's that. :)

Toyota has the bZ4X.

https://www.toyota.com/bz4x/

But there have been issues with the car and it's not been well received.

There are rumors Toyota is reconsidering its whole electric strategy.

No kidding. A bunch of issues including wheels that literally fall off that car.

Hah! Was it so bad that Toyota offered to buy back the car if the buyer did not want it anymore? Only a few 100s cars were affected, so this seems weird.

Toyota announced a recall for the bZ4X electric vehicle in June, acknowledging that wheels might detach from the car because of malfunctioning hub bolts and asking customers to stop driving the vehicle.

The automaker had been offering free loaners to affected bZ4X owners, but the deal has now been increased with more sweeteners as well as a new offer: Toyota will buy back the bZ4X outright.

Only 258 bZ4X EVs were sold before the recall was announced, but the vehicle has an outsize role to play in Toyota's slow embrace of all-electric vehicles.

Hah! Was it so bad that Toyota offered to buy back the car if the buyer did not want it anymore? Only a few 100s cars were affected, so this seems weird.

Toyota only sold a few hundred vehicles in total! And it's no surprise. I mean... seriously, who would even buy one of these turds when you could get a Hyundai Ioniq5 with more range, more performance, much faster DC charging, much faster AC charger, for the about same price. Heck, when Tesla vehicles qualify for the EV tax credit again, the Model 3 will be once again be in the same ballpark purchase price-wise and offer even more performance, luxury/convenience features, passenger/cargo space, and access to the best EV charging network.

Toyota has only done one EV right and that's the 2nd-gen Rav4 EV, which was a Tesla-made vehicle. I owned one and I loved it. Only issue I had was the Toyota software was a bit buggy and the limited range dictated by the technology of the time and the limited amount of space Tesla had to work with on a conversion vehicle.

1.) The general statement that hybrids are more reliable applies mainly to non plug in models as I read the article. The so-called plug-in hybrids have more problems than ordinary hybrids. In the case of the RAV4 it is even less reliable than the non-hybrid version of the car.

2.) IMO, You must check the individual ratings. The worst reliability score goes to the Ford F150 hybrid which has a score of 4. Yes, 4. NOT 40. Just FOUR. The regular Ford 150 has a score of 28.

A 4? I've never seen a car that poorly rated by CR. I bet Ford is real happy about that. I wonder if FORD actually tested it before releasing it on the public?

I was interested in the (red) RAV4 comment you made. Looked at CR and saw the rating was 78 for the 2023 RAV4 hybrid (not the Prime which we are not interested in). The reliability ratings are based on previous years so not exactly reliable in themselves. I noticed the consumer satisfaction was going up as the RAV4 years progressed with the 2022 getting the highest (better) rating.

We are on a list to get the RAV4 when the dealer gets his allocations in 2023. So would be interested in RAV4 thoughts here. Comparing the CRV hybrid 2023 pricing it is well above the RAV4 hybrid. And the CRV does not have a spare tire, just a flat tire kit.

I was interested in the (red) RAV4 comment you made. Looked at CR and saw the rating was 78 for the 2023 RAV4 hybrid (not the Prime which we are not interested in). The reliability ratings are based on previous years so not exactly reliable in themselves. I noticed the consumer satisfaction was going up as the RAV4 years progressed with the 2022 getting the highest (better) rating.

We are on a list to get the RAV4 when the dealer gets his allocations in 2023. So would be interested in RAV4 thoughts here. Comparing the CRV hybrid 2023 pricing it is well above the RAV4 hybrid. And the CRV does not have a spare tire, just a flat tire kit.

I have a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid. The big issue with it was a warped, misaligned gas tank and gas sensor. Getting a full fill-up required spending about 5+ minutes dribbling fuel into the tank while outsmarting the nozzles automatic turn off. It basically reduced the driving range by 80-100 miles on my car. I like having a 500+ mile driving range. Toyota acknowledged the problem in a letter to me and later replaced the tank and sensor under warranty, and the problem was fixed. Now, I routinely get a driving range in the area of 530 to 560 miles. (Note: driving range is computed by the car computer so getting the full 580 miles advertised requires everything to compute just right.) FWIW, my mileage is pretty close to the 38 mpg overall. It's higher in warmer weather and lower in cold weather. My best overall mileage is 52 mpg on a mostly flat road driving the 45 mph speed limit on a 70-ish degree degree day.

My understanding is that sometime in 2021, they fixed the above gas tank problem in newly built cars coming off the assembly line.

Some Canadians are complaining about salted winter highways causing corrosion in the power line to the rear electric motor. I don't know the status of that.

Last edited:
Thanks Chuckanut for your comments. The CR report seems to show a steady improvement in customer satisfaction from 2019. Hopefully the 2023 is as good as the 2022.

I've owned 2 Prius for a total of 18 years. Never a repair. Amazing quality. I will stay with Toyota. Want to buy the 2023.

Good looking car, about time. Now when I get behind one on freeway maybe will be going at least the speed limit!

How 'bout that! Toyota moved the Prius speedometer from the center of the dash, to in front of the driver, where it belongs!
There's no way I can drive a vehicle with the speedo in the center of the dash. Looking ahead to drive, at speedo in proper location, at inside rear-view mirror, I can do it.

But if the speedo's in the center of the dash, it's too much visual displacement and my floaters are an angry swarm washing all over back and forth. Maybe I could make it a block or two.

Never made any sense to me why the Prius and Toyota's Scion brand put them in the center.

How 'bout that! Toyota moved the Prius speedometer from the center of the dash, to in front of the driver, where it belongs!
There's no way I can drive a vehicle with the speedo in the center of the dash. Looking ahead to drive, at speedo in proper location, at inside rear-view mirror, I can do it.

But if the speedo's in the center of the dash, it's too much visual displacement and my floaters are an angry swarm washing all over back and forth. Maybe I could make it a block or two.

Never made any sense to me why the Prius and Toyota's Scion brand put them in the center.

Not trying to hijack thread but my 1983 CJ8 Scrambler has the speedo in the center. Hate it. I mount my phone higher and pretty much in front of me with a speedo app running. Does the trick.

It’s good to see threads and references like this. I’ll be wanting to replace my current vehicle and have been trying to determine whether hybrid or electric would be best for me. I’m strongly leaning hybrid.

There's no way I can drive a vehicle with the speedo in the center of the dash.

One of the most appreciated features in my car is the HUD (Head Up Display) that puts my speed (and a few other things as needed) right in my field of vision as I look through the windshield.

I like it so much that I'll never buy another car without it.

Nice, but the Camry is cheaper.

When I did a "build" for the 2023 XSE Camry Hybrid with the options we might want and the same for the 2023 Prius XLE, it turned out the Prius was quite a bit lower in price. So it will depend a lot on which trim and options you select.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom