Contactless Credit cards - safe

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Okay so I am always the last to adopt anything but my new Amazon visa came with contactless feature and they refuse to give me one without it.

Debating if I should cancel the card but suspect I am being ridiculous.

Okay so immediately after I post this I find a relevant thread: https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...ontactless-new-card-email-mystery-106920.html

But does that then mean you cannot insert the card, you MUST BE contactless?

Last edited:
You will most likely come to appreciate it. No need to hand it to anyone, or swipe it, or even stick it in the slot. Just touch it to the indicated spot on the terminal and you're done. They have been routine in Europe for years, and now becoming common here.

Why do you want to avoid it? I kind of like when I use those myself.

Will it tell me when its "read" with a msg on screen? I will likely NOT be able to hear any beeps as I am deaf at certain frequenecies.

Yes, the display screen on the device will change when payment is registered.

Will it tell me when its "read" with a msg on screen? I will likely NOT be able to hear any beeps as I am deaf at certain frequenecies.

It depends on the store/places card readers, but I would have to imagine most of those are sensitive to ADA concerns and go with both lights and sounds. I know I use mine all the time at the pump at costco and I would not hear a beep. You literally just wave your card right in front and put it away. So even if there is a beep or a light or whatever, it's not really relevant to you.

Here's what Cap1 has to say:

How to Use a Contactless Credit or Debit Card
Whether you’re using Visa® or Mastercard®, contactless payments work the same way. Here’s how to use a contactless credit card:

Look for the contactless symbol on the card reader. The four curved lines that appear on your card should also appear on contactless-enabled card readers.
When prompted, hold the card within one to two inches of the contactless symbol.
If your purchase is approved, you’ll receive confirmation—typically a beep, green light or check mark.
Once you know how to use contactless credit and debit cards, it takes just a few seconds to complete the payment process.
https://www.capitalone.com/learn-grow/privacy-security/contactless-credit-cards/

And you don't have to use it. You can still use the chip. At least for now!

Thank you. I am still annoyed they just force this crap on me but maybe I will give it a try at least.

The alternative, of course, is to leave the card at home and just carry a checkbook and a pen when you go shopping. That's perfectly fine as long as you're not in the checkout lane ahead of me. :LOL:

I've been using a contactless credit card in Europe for 3 years. Here the contactless feature can be used for purchases up to 50 euros. But one can simply swipe the card the old fashioned way if one prefers it. Personally, I find contactless payments really practical and I haven't had any safety issues. When using contactless payment, the terminal displays a message saying that the payment has been accepted.

The alternative, of course, is to leave the card at home and just carry a checkbook and a pen when you go shopping. That's perfectly fine as long as you're not in the checkout lane ahead of me. :LOL:

Okay okay I'm not that bad really!!!

But does that then mean you cannot insert the card, you MUST BE contactless?

No, you can insert the card and use it how you have been until now.

You can only use the contactless feature if the POS reader at the store you're at supports it - not all do.

My small collection of cards are all chipped and contactless - and all but the Apple Card can be swiped if need be.

Contactless is definitely a little easier, though I skip the card when contactless is an option and use my watch. Even more convenient.

Thank you. I am still annoyed they just force this crap on me but maybe I will give it a try at least.

And this is why the US lags so many countries in rollout of new technology.

Do you want to go back to imprints on carbon paper? And requiring the cashier to call for authorization above a certain dollar amount, and having to look up your card number in a printed book of bad card numbers? (As I remember doing in my first job circa 1978.)

Last edited:
Here in the US, I think anywhere that accepts contactless still will also accept a swipe. And I think pretty much all new cards offer the contactless feature. Embrace it if you want. I prefer to use it, but admittedly, sometimes I can’t get it to work and end up swiping after all.

I didn't think it would make any difference in the checkout process but I actually noticed the transaction goes a bit quicker. Well, it did after I figured out how to tap properly! It's grown on me and now I like it.

Another alternative is just carry around large wads of cash. It makes all the other nonsense go away and is very simple: If you don't have enough cash you can't afford it.:angel:

Another alternative is just carry around large wads of cash. It makes all the other nonsense go away and is very simple: If you don't have enough cash you can't afford it.:angel:

Not out of the question. I'm getting pretty tired of recirculating CC's that are stolen from bars and restaurant's . The real slap in the face is the fact that I've bumped up the tips considerably.

A big wad of 20's would probably save me $$ in the long run.

Not out of the question. I'm getting pretty tired of recirculating CC's that are stolen from bars and restaurant's . The real slap in the face is the fact that I've bumped up the tips considerably.

A big wad of 20's would probably save me $$ in the long run.

Actually, it makes a lot of sense. I realized about ten or twelve years ago that every time one of my credit cards got used fraudulently it was within days of using it at a restaurant where the server took it out of my sight for a few minutes.

Since that epiphany, I have always carried enough cash to cover a good meal and I've never let a credit card out of my sight. It worked! Haven't had a fraudulent charge in all these years, simply by deciding to always pay cash for my restaurant meals.

I didn't think it would make any difference in the checkout process but I actually noticed the transaction goes a bit quicker. Well, it did after I figured out how to tap properly! It's grown on me and now I like it.

My CC has been one of those contactless types for the last few years. It's a little quicker than having to insert it but not by a lot. What has saved more time at the checkout is not having to sign any more. At first, my local supermarket had a $50 limit for unsigned purchases. Then they got rid of that (it may be a lot higher, I don't know because I almost never exceed $100 in a single purchase there). Some stores still make you sign, and lately that takes longer because I am not on the lookout for it, so I am standing there waiting for the "Approved" message while it or the cashier is waiting for me to sign the screen.

And this is why the US lags so many countries in rollout of new technology.

Do you want to go back to imprints on carbon paper? And requiring the cashier to call for authorization above a certain dollar amount, and having to look up your card number in a printed book of bad card numbers? (As I remember doing in my first job circa 1978.)

I w*rk in IT and I see some of the modern crap rolling out. It is not always ready for prime time.

Actually, it makes a lot of sense. I realized about ten or twelve years ago that every time one of my credit cards got used fraudulently it was within days of using it at a restaurant where the server took it out of my sight for a few minutes.

Since that epiphany, I have always carried enough cash to cover a good meal and I've never let a credit card out of my sight. It worked! Haven't had a fraudulent charge in all these years, simply by deciding to always pay cash for my restaurant meals.

I use a CC as it's not my problem if my restaurant card gets stolen or abused.
I use one for restaurants as it pays me the best and usually others for other stuff.

Carrying a wad of a cash is great, until if falls out of the pocket.

I w*rk in IT and I see some of the modern crap rolling out. It is not always ready for prime time.

Contactless CC has been out for decades in other countries. By the same CC companies.

They just didn't bring it here as the US is sooo slow to adopt new things, like dollar coins :LOL::LOL:

Finally the mint will stop making pennies in 2023, so start hoarding them now to be able to make change ;)

are these "contactless" cards any safer to use from a financial security point of view? if so, how and if not then what's the point?

are these "contactless" cards any safer to use from a financial security point of view? if so, how and if not then what's the point?

Those little chips imbedded in the credit card, whether read by the merchant’s machine inside it or outside it, are vastly more secure than the old magnet strip method. One shouldn’t look at it as a hassle but a simple, major advance.

Back
Top Bottom