Convert Salary to 1099

jIMOh

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone have a good equation to equate salary with a 1099 rate? My math is salary/2000+$15/hr
Is cost of benefits and taxes worth $15/hour?

When I started doing that, I used 1.8 times my former salary (on an hourly basis). Seemed reasonable, and people paid it.

Anyone have a good equation to equate salary with a 1099 rate? My math is salary/2000+$15/hr
Is cost of benefits and taxes worth $15/hour?

All depends on what benefits package you need to add. And remember - whether you're doing this as a moonlighting gig or bread and butter doesn't matter. You should charge about the same hourly rate. Obviously, you might have to lower your hourly rate a little bit to be competitive, but don't be shy in asking a reasonable, hourly rate.

When you factor in self-employment tax, vacation, insurance, home office overhead, various other fees, expenses, costs, registrations, insurance, etc., it could be a lot more than $15/hour (partly depends on what your raw salary hourly rate is).

I did this a while back. I added annual amounts for base salary + bonus + company provided stock grants + company match on 401k + company contribution to health insurance (4 times my cost) + company portion of FICA + company cost for life insurance + company provided retirement contribution. This gave me the total annual company cost of my compensation. I divided that sum by the 44 weeks that I needed to work to earn that compensation (considering six weeks vacation and two weeks of holidays). That gave me a weekly all-in rate, which divided by 40 gave me an hourly rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I think 35% is a fair number overall.

6.2% SS
1.45% Medicare
2 weeks vacation = 3.8%
1 week sick leave = 1.9%
8 holidays = 0.4%

(13.75% so far)

Then you need to factor in the cost of health insurance and other fringe benefits common to your industry/profession.

Keep in mind the fact that if you are engaged by a third party they charge at least double your base pay.

Back
Top Bottom