Converting $ to Euros

jpjr

Recycles dryer sheets
I tried to find a similar thread, as I am sure someone has asked this before, but could not find and answer. Where will we find the best exchange rate when we travel to Spain and Italy? I will be checking with our bank for advice and on-line conversations say ATMs are ok; however, I am sure our seasoned travelers here will have tried and true experiences that will help us.

We will have to spend at least $1,000 in cash at the different venues we plan on attending.

Thanks in advance for your help.

We always get it at the ATM once we land. Depending on who your bank is - you can get no foreign transaction fees, no ATM fees. I have Schwab Bank and it's awesome for this.

If you're worried about getting enough in a short order (for paying for a vacation rental for example) you can use more than one account. Or if you have two people on an account - both can pull out the max Euros. I think Schwab limited to 500Euro per day per person.

We used credit cards with no foreign transaction fees for everything we could. I used Capital One Venture and Penfed Visa. But some landlords required cash payments when we arrived at their vacation apartments... I just hit ATMs ahead of arriving.

I've had several trips to Europe, including Italy, and find that my Chase debit card at the ATM is a good deal. Decent exchange rate and no extra fee.

I've had several trips to Europe, including Italy, and find that my Chase debit card at the ATM is a good deal. Decent exchange rate and no extra fee.
You probably paid a 3% foreign transaction fee. That's the fee charged by most US banks. That's a hefty fee, but it takes some work to find a bank ATM card that does not charge it.

I use the Schwab Bank ATM for 0 foreign transaction fees. And a backup is the Fidelity Cash Management ATM card which charges 1%. Both refund ATM fees.

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/debit-card-foreign-transaction-international-atm-fees/

Last edited:
We too use ATM's in airports and train stations--bank branded ATM's. Beware that there are non-bank ATM's around too, but they will not provide you with the best exchange rates.

Any time we can use a credit card when traveling, we will use it because we get "miles" rebates on future travel. But when we do get cash out, it'll be in denominations of $200 or so out of the ATM's.

My credit union gives me full credit for the currency exchange day by day on ATM's. My Capital One credit card does rip me off on currency conversion either. My Wells Fargo checking account charges $5 per transaction and 3% discount so we avoid them.

The last couple of days before I come home, it's almost comical watching me ration out spending to where I come home with no Euros in hand. Get down to 20 Euros, and McDonalds in the airport can take it all for breakfast for 2.

+1 for the Schwab debit card.

This is the only card I use for ATM withdrawals both at home and abroad. No foreign transaction fees and they reimburse any ATM fees.

Another one here. I opened a Schwab brokerage account because of this card, and it has served me very well in a number of countries for cash.

The last couple of days before I come home, it's almost comical watching me ration out spending to where I come home with no Euros in hand. Get down to 20 Euros, and McDonalds in the airport can take it all for breakfast for 2.

I do the opposite. I always try to come home with a couple of hundred euros so I'll have some in my pocket the next time I go there.

If it's a one-of trip, that won't work. But if you plan on going back to the eurozone in the next couple of years, it's worth it.

We usually bring at least 100 Euros back and save them for the next year.

If you are using a VISA debit card/ATM card, you will get a standard Euro exchange rate each day determined by VISA, and it can be looked up on this web site for a particular date: https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html/

Any fees on top of that are determined by your bank - whether it's their foreign transaction % fee and/or some $ ATM withdrawal fee for using a non-bank ATM or a foreign ATM. There might then be fees imposed by the local ATM.

My experience in Europe, and I only went to ATMs attached to banks plus one at the airport, is that fees were charged by the European banks. I think that's pretty standard. I avoided non-bank ATMs.
https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/cash-machine-atm-tips

And I would usually try to hit the bank ATM during open hours just in case the ATM "ate my card" which I had occasionally read about.

Another tip - European ATMs only handle 4 digit PINs.

BTW - that VISA link is also good for checking the conversion rates on the credit card purchases.

If you are withdrawing funds from your VISA logo debit card, the date of the withdrawal will determine the exchange rate.

For credit card charges, the posting date is the one that determines the exchange rate used. And depending, this can be several days after the transaction date.

Also, I believe the ATM daily withdrawal limits are based on a calendar day in your bank's time zone - not a 24 hour period.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I have to agree with the Schwab bank ATM (or others that cover the fees and give you the Visa conversion rates).
For larger amounts (when my son moved overseas for a year of study), I converted using a Forex transaction and had the money wired to his bank account in the other country.

I had no trouble withdrawing large amounts, btw, like €600.

But I called the bank before leaving to know what my ATM limits (per withdrawal and per day) were. They can be set higher if too low.

DH does the same thing--I can't tell you how many boxes of candy we've bought from airport gift shops. Part of the ritual. I get why people bring home euros and hang on to them for the next trip but we've never done that and probably won't start now. No problem, they always make nice fresh euros while we're gone :) and wow, they are considerably cheaper than when we were there four years ago (not that exchange rate is a factor in bringing them home or not). Back then, $1.40ish; today, $1.09.

We have a June trip to Germany in the works and will use our local bank's ATM with its 1 percent foreign transaction fee when we get there to pull out some cash, and our no fee Visa card for purchases that don't need cash (pretty much most purchases)

I had no trouble withdrawing large amounts, btw, like €600.

But I called the bank before leaving to know what my ATM limits (per withdrawal and per day) were. They can be set higher if too low.

I've think I've done 1k pounds and 1k NZ $ on the credit card.

But when my son went to Japan for a year, I populated his account with the expected living expense for the year, and I was not in country.

Everyone else has this pretty well covered but I'll lend my support to getting either a Schwab or Fidelity ATM card. Both reimburse ATM fees. Fidelity charges a really good (by bank standards) 1% FX conversion fee. Schwab charges and even better 0%.

But most importantly, whatever you do, . . . Do Not Exchange Money At the Airport. On a recent trip to Greece I was traveling with a relative who didn't have an ATM card and was planning to exchange hundreds of dollars when we landed. Between the awful exchange rate and the added fees converting dollars to Euros would have cost 20%. And then if you exchange back, that's another 20%.

We've sometimes found better rates in town, but often times they're just as bad. We never exchange money.

Have fun.

You can sometimes find exchange for about 3%, which is the same as most bank ATM cards.

I found a bank in Vienna that was only charging about 1.1% and no fees - quite good. This was the Bankhaus Schelhammer und Schattera AG, which is apparently affiliated with some church. I found out about it from various travel forums before leaving on my trip. The even publish their rates online - you need to translate German.

But avoid Travelex type places. Fees are high.

Last edited:
I check very carefully. I did have a foreign exchange conversion of course, but no extra fee on top of that.

If you look at the link, Chase charges 3% for foreign exchange conversion on their ATM cards, so it's in there somewhere. It may have been built into the conversion rate.

Last edited:
Has anyone used various cards and actually validated the exchange rates they got? Call me skeptical, but some financial institutions are somewhat slimy, and I could see them saying no FTF only to give you some crummy exchange rate.

This topic is found on travel forums repeatedly and always generates responses that vary from correct to somewhat correct to totally incorrect. As the person asking the initial question, it can be frustrating trying to find any consensus in the responses.

The reason for the variance is simply because most people don't know what they are talking about. They THINK they know something but in fact they have got it wrong. Take 'my bank refunds foreign ATM fees' for example.

What does that really mean. Well, it means if a bank in X charges you $3.00 to make a withdrawal from their ATM, your bank will refund you the $3.00. That's fine but it has NOTHING to do with whether your bank adds a percentage onto the exchange rate or not. Yet they will advertise, 'No Foreign ATM Fees' and people will THINK it means they aren't adding any exchange loading. Legally, they are in the clear. Sengsational has got it absolutely right, you shouldn't believe everything you THINK your bank said to you.

There is also the issue of terminology which differs from country to country. So when I say 'foreign transaction fee', I am referring to a say $3 fee your bank charges everytime you make a withdrawal with your debit card from an ATM. But someone else uses the exact same term to refer to what percentage they load onto the Interbank Exchange Rate. Two totally different things that can make a big difference in just how much that 100 Euro withdrawal actually cost you. You don't know until you get home and see your statement.

There is only ONE way to know what it will cost you to use your Debit Card (ATM withdrawals) or Credit Card (purchases/payments) when travelling. That is to either search the fine print which can be quite difficult (some banks do a real good job of hiding the information) or talk to your bank and ask. If you talk to your bank though you have to talk to the right person and it is rarely your bank teller and sometimes not even your local bank branch manager. They simply DON'T KNOW any better than you do and will often say, 'no foreign transaction fees' when in fact it only refers to that $3 per transaction fee and NOT to what exchange rate they use.

So you need to get to someone who actually knows about what is added when you use your cards overseas. Here is the question to ask. What exchange rate is used relative to the Interbank Rate when I use my card? If they do not know what the Interbank Rate is or what rate is used relative to it, they are the wrong person to talk to.

If they say, 'no we don't add on to the Interbank Rate, that is what we mean by 'no foreign transaction fees', ask them to direct you to where you can see that in writing. They may be right, they may not.

You would think that all banks could agree on using the same terms to mean the same thing but they do not. 'Transaction' is an ambiguous word since it can refer to several different things. Putting your debit card in an ATM and withdrawing some cash is a 'transaction' that they could have a fee for. Exchanging money for you when paying a bill submitted from another country is also a 'transaction' that the bank participates in for you and they could have a fee for that (usually a percentage of the total amount). So 'no transaction fee' doesn't tell you enough unless they DEFINE what it actually means.

This UK site is great at showing travellers from the UK exactly what their card will charge them. If you scroll down the page you will see they use the terms 'transaction fee' to refer to exchange loading cost and 'ATM or Withdrawal fee' to refer to the cost for using an ATM machine. Debit & credit card charges abroad: full breakdown - MSE

First, it's important to see they separate the two so you can see clearly what will be added or not. Second, if you spend a minute or two looking at their list, you can see clearly how big a difference it can make depending on which card you use.

Unfortunately, I do not know of a similar list for a country other than the UK but there is no doubt, the same kind of thing applies to banks everywhere. So looking at examples from this list we do have access you, you can see things like:

Take 100 from an ATM using a credit card and it could cost you as much as 108 using an Amazon credit card.
Take 100 from an ATM using a debit card and it could cost you as much as 106.50 using a Clydesdale debit card.

Or it could cost you 100 using a Metrobank Europe debit card, a Norwich & Peterborough Gold debit card or a Santander Zero debit card. But even more amazingly, there are 3 CREDIT cards available that will not charge a cash withdrawal charge if used at an ATM and will not add any exchange loading as well. Those are Creation Everyday, Halifax Clarity, MBNA Everyday Plus and there are 2 more which do the same but are no longer available to new customers. Those are Santander Zero and Sainsbury's Gold.

It sure would be nice there was the equivalent lists available for other countries but I haven't found any so far. The Moneysavingexpert site by the way is also kept very up to date, so for any UK readers here, that should be your 'go to' site for up to date info.

Has anyone used various cards and actually validated the exchange rates they got? Call me skeptical, but some financial institutions are somewhat slimy, and I could see them saying no FTF only to give you some crummy exchange rate.
Yes, I have compared the rate I got on my Schwab ATM card to the published VISA rate for a given day. Spot on. Same with my BofA Travel Rewards VISA compared to what VISA published for the posting date. Both cards have 0% transaction fee.

I keep a spreadsheet of my Euro purchases so I can check them when they show up in my card accounts online in $. Ultimately statements show both numbers, but until then I need my spreadsheet to check the conversion.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that too can be slightly misleading audreyh1.

Here is what BofA have to say on their own website.https://www.bankofamerica.com/foreign-exchange/foreign-exchange-rates-faq.go

You need to read several parts of that to get a clear picture. First, they refer to the Interbank Rate, the Visa Rate, the wholesale rate and government mandated rates.

"Exchange rates shown in the newspaper and on some currency conversion sites are generally interbank rates available only to banks for transactions of $1 million U.S. dollars or more. These rates aren’t generally available to consumers obtaining foreign currency for international travel."

In other words, you aren't getting that rate.

Then continuing on, "Foreign exchange rates are constantly changing. We update our rates at least once every business day, based on current market conditions. Exchange rates are subject to change at any time without notice."

Followed by, "The exchange rate for international purchases and foreign ATM transactions is set by Visa® or MasterCard®, depending on your card's logo. This exchange rate is either the wholesale market rate or a government-mandated rate on the day before the date the transaction is processed. The processing date may differ from the date of the transaction."

Those 2 quotes tell you 2 things. One, the usually use a 24 hour window and choose the highest rate the exchange reaches during that 24 hour period. They are not using an actual 'live' rate at any given point in time. They're looking back for the highest point over 24 hours.

Second, the rate on the day you made the purchase may not be the rate on the day the transaction is recorded in your card's account. That used to make sense in the days when credit card transactions were on paper. It no longer makes sense when everything is done instantly by computer. But if a bank wants to, it can delay processing a transaction to a more favourable to them, day.

The Visa rate is the rate that Visa charges to your bank, which is 1% over the Interbank rate. This is normal for all banks to use these days although there was one UK institution that I know of(Nationwide Building Society) which used to eat the 1% for their customers. They no longer do after finding that a significant % of people were getting a card for this singular benefit alone and not doing any other banking with them. In other words, these people were 'using' the bank in a win/lose fashion rather than in a win/win fashion by also doing their normal banking with them, taking loans, mortgages, etc.

Bottom line is that recording what you bought on what day for what price along with recording the Visa rate on that day, will not always work out if you back calculate the amount that ended up on your card statement.

This Visa site does a good job of explaining it also and in a concise manner.
https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html/

But note it says, "an indication of the rate you may receive" and "Rates apply to the date the transaction was processed by Visa; this may differ from the actual date of the transaction."

So while recording and checking might result in getting the number you expect on 9 out of 10 occasions, it might not. So your statement could be 'slightly' misleading but I will happily admit to nit-picking. I'm just trying to use it as a means to show even more information on just what really happens.

Basically, yes, your particular cards do not add a % fee for foreign exchange above what Visa charges them and that is what matters. They may 'fudge' when they record the transaction to what favours them.

Last edited:

Yup, all the time. If you're card is a Visa (like the Fidelity ATM card) you can check the rate here . . . https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html/

Now that rate applies to the date the transaction is processed, not the transaction date. When FX is super volatile, like it has been recently, you do see banks playing games with when they actually processes the transaction. I've noticed the higher the volatility in FX the longer Chase takes to process my credit card transactions. I assume that's so they can cherry pick a day that gives them the best deal. I'm currently amassing a backlog of Mexican Peso transactions for what I can only assume is that reason.

Back
Top Bottom