Coping with losing ability to do loved activities

Scuba, my hiking buddy and I did a moderate trail on Wednesday. We turned back a little short of my goal, due to twinges in the injured hip flexor. Still an excellent outing and no pain the next day! Going to push it a little more next time out. Good luck to you in your recovery 20210505_100903.jpeg

No medications or health issues entering mid 60's yet. I still do the off trail hiking and do most everything I could do 10 years ago. I do know there will be a time things will change. It may take longer and things don't work as smoothly as it once was but for me to keep on, don't stop, is key for me.

While I've had my share of hamstring, knee, and shoulder injuries, the thing that gets me down is losing my athleticism, balance and strength as I've aged. I am now 72, and while my mind still says you can do this, the body no longer cooperates. For some reason I just cannot accept my age related limitations, which is easier said than done, at least for me.
Not just you, I could have easily written this for myself....

While I've had my share of hamstring, knee, and shoulder injuries, the thing that gets me down is losing my athleticism, balance and strength as I've aged. I am now 72, and while my mind still says you can do this, the body no longer cooperates. For some reason I just cannot accept my age related limitations, which is easier said than done, at least for me.

I guess that's the advantage of never having been naturally athletic. I'm closer to the clumsy end of the spectrum though that may be due to polio I had as a child. I've always been surprised when I could do some things I didn't know I had in me. Just the number (74 in my case) is the one that I still can't believe. I look in the mirror and say "no way" but the birth certificate (and DL) do not lie. Getting to the point of just being thankful to still be alive, but YMMV.

One med (Tamsulosin, i.e. "Flowmax") at age 77+, and still fairly active, but no more running. Had both hips replaced, one at age 65, the other at age 76. I guess I wore them out years ago long distance running during the 70's and 80's. Who knows?

I still try to walk 10,000 steps per day and play golf once per week. I cut the grass and do most anything around the property that doesn't involve the roof (or ladders).

I still maintain my old Mustang myself and gave up restoring classic cars two years ago. I have given away most of my tools so I won't get sucked in to another long term project (LOL).

This old body still works pretty well and I consider myself pretty lucky compared to many of my current friends who have all kinds of medical ailments, or have moved on to the "other place".

This old body still works pretty well and I consider myself pretty lucky compared to many of my current friends who have all kinds of medical ailments, or have moved on to the "other place".

Oh, you mean Florida?:facepalm::LOL:

Getting to the point of just being thankful to still be alive
+1 That's how I feel these days at my age/health.... And to be blunt (I often am) that too may change in my case.

Last edited:
Scuba, my hiking buddy and I did a moderate trail on Wednesday. We turned back a little short of my goal, due to twinges in the injured hip flexor. Still an excellent outing and no pain the next day! Going to push it a little more next time out. Good luck to you in your recoveryView attachment 38878

Thank you. Looks beautiful!

Update - I have eased back into diving, being even more careful than usual to equalize early and often. Plus I researched different equalization techniques and tried some I haven’t used before, which may have helped. I was able to do a 2-tank boat dive with no issues last week, and we are scheduled for another one on Thursday.

When I get home, I’m going to find an ENT doc familiar with barotrauma related to diving and get his or her opinion as to whether a diving liveaboard is a good idea. I’m thinking there is a good chance we will cancel our Galapagos dive trip. Diving 60-90 ft 4-5 times a day for 10 days seems like it’s a lot harder on the ears than diving a few times a week in 40-80 ft. But we shall see what he says.

I’ve also been doing my PT exercises for my groin injury. Haven’t been able to hike again yet but at least I can swim and dive with no groin pain. One day at a time!

Thank you all for the encouragement!

Back
Top Bottom