Coronavirus - Travel impacts II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm throwing in the towel & postponing my trip to London-Paris. Scheduled for April 15th. I read a long piece on how China got ahead of the beer virus by limiting travel. And I am in close contact with my MIL who is approaching 90. And frankly even though I feel like [-]30, 40, 50[/-] the birth certificate don't lie. Virgin Atlantic will let me reschedule & Rick Steves will let me reschedule. I'll find out how the hotels feel about a credit now. The flight & tour were the 2 bigger items. So I can move the trip to September and be OK. Of course that is right in the middle of College Football season. And I just paid for my season tickets.

... So I can move the trip to September and be OK. Of course that is right in the middle of College Football season. And I just paid for my season tickets.

I am not a sports game fan, but hope the virus outbreak dies out by then, and you will be able to watch your games.

The Italians were talking about playing soccer in an empty stadium and televising to people watching at home. The NBA was talking about this too. The games may be boring without a live crowd, I am sure.

And the Democratic primary debate here in AZ will be done the same way, from what I read. There will be no audience to "boo" or to applaud their favorite candidate. Life is just not the same. :)

And the Democratic primary debate here in AZ will be done the same way, from what I read. There will be no audience to "boo" or to applaud their favorite candidate. Life is just not the same. :)

Google hangout can handle 150 in a video conf. Get about 10 sessions then we have 1500 people attend the debate :)

I haven't heard anything recently about the Olympics being cancelled but I have to think that is on the table now?

I haven't heard anything recently about the Olympics being cancelled but I have to think that is on the table now?

Probably so. They’re really in a bad situation. Network and Olympic sponsors will be out big bucks on this.

I read a couple of weeks ago that the IOC was looking into it, but given it's a few months away I'm sure they are going to wait a bit to decide. I'd imagine they'd just move it out a year vs. full on cancel. The amount of work done in Tokyo, if that is a loss, is tremendous.

I'm throwing in the towel & postponing my trip to London-Paris. Scheduled for April 15th. I read a long piece on how China got ahead of the beer virus by limiting travel. And I am in close contact with my MIL who is approaching 90. And frankly even though I feel like [-]30, 40, 50[/-] the birth certificate don't lie. Virgin Atlantic will let me reschedule & Rick Steves will let me reschedule. I'll find out how the hotels feel about a credit now. The flight & tour were the 2 bigger items. So I can move the trip to September and be OK. Of course that is right in the middle of College Football season. And I just paid for my season tickets.

Did Virgin charge for the change? I'm scheduled to fly on the 23rd of May but I don't want to end up in a quarantine for 2 weeks after coming back.

I read a couple of weeks ago that the IOC was looking into it, but given it's a few months away I'm sure they are going to wait a bit to decide. I'd imagine they'd just move it out a year vs. full on cancel. The amount of work done in Tokyo, if that is a loss, is tremendous.

So while the IOC waits, do they really expect people to buy their airline tickets for it and book hotels, then switch en-masse to another country ?

The Olympics will probably earn nearly the same amount of money as the tv rights and advertisements are the big earners. Like pro sports.

Japan will suffer with a $X Billion expense and practically no tourist boost from it.

So while the IOC waits, do they really expect people to buy their airline tickets for it and book hotels, then switch en-masse to another country ?

The Olympics will probably earn nearly the same amount of money as the tv rights and advertisements are the big earners. Like pro sports.

Japan will suffer with a $X Billion expense and practically no tourist boost from it.

My bet is they will still have it in Japan, just postpone until next year.

Everyone here that is struggling with previous made travel plans. I just got an email from Hilton. It states all reservations even those marked prepaid and nonrefundable can now be cancelled within 24 hours of check in time and will refunded in full.

Watch other travel sites as more changes like this could be coming.

Add me to the list of people cancelling trips to Europe.

We were to go to Portugal at the end of March. Just started canceling hotels. Unfortunately, some were non-refundable, so we're hoping we'll at least get credit for future use with those hotels (mainly small hotels, not chains).

Car rental was no issue since I didn't prepay.

Air ticket - I'm waiting to see if the flight is cancelled so I can get a refund instead of a credit. United has waived cancellation charges but credit is good only for one year from the day of ticket issue.

Delta's reaction to the travel restrictions announced yesterday by the US government:
...the following flights will operate today, Thursday, will return Friday, and then will be temporarily suspended.

Cincinnati-Paris
Indianapolis-Paris
Orlando-Amsterdam
Portland-Amsterdam
Raleigh/Durham-Paris
Salt Lake City-Amsterdam
Salt Lake City-Paris

Source: https://news.delta.com/delta-responding-wednesday-directive-us-europe-travel

Also, business is probably plummeting so the fixed cost of operating a huge ship with large vacancies probably far exceed whatever revenue they might earn from each trip.
Yes.
I'm sure Princess had more cancellations that other lines, just due to the name. They also had two ships out of service before they made this decision.

And, the potential cost of getting stuck with a shipload quarantined for a week or two must be substantial.

That said, others will follow quickly.

I've been trying to cancel a Friday flight with Delta since yesterday. Can't get through. Today it is mostly "Your call could not be completed due to technical difficulties."

The tickets were nonrefundable at purchase so they can't be cancelled online. But should be worth a future credit per the new rules.

I found a partial work a round. Their website has a "Compliment or Complaint" button. Hitting it gave me an email form with a text box. I could at least record the fact that I was trying to cancel. I got a reply that said my complaint had been received.

The port of Seattle just became a no go zone for cruise ships. I would not be shocked if other ports in the US followed suit. Would not hold me breath for that cruise to actually happen.
Yep, she is hoping to get in under the wire. Cruise is scheduled for Saturday. But, if there is one person on board who tests positive on the inbound cruise, that will stop the outbound.

I had thought about the cruise line deciding it didn't want the risk. I hadn't thought about the port shutting down.

Last edited:
Be sure and keep us posted on this..I'm curious how. many people actually take that cruise..on your 10% number I'll take the over
I'm sure she will fill me in if they get to sea.

On the 10%, her reasoning is that there are __ cruise ships returning to US ports every week. So far, we've only had one with a positive passenger. So, the odds keep getting worse, but they are starting from a low level. Also, of course, if they sail half empty, that cuts the chances of that one positive in half. (I haven't found a number for the blank, but Carnival alone seems to have 12 ships operating out of US ports.)

I said I did the math. Simple minded extrapolation of recently confirmed cases says there could 20,000 new cases during next week. If the ship were full, there would be a 30% chance of one of those new cases being a passenger on her ship. But, simple minded extrapolation is simple minded.

I cancelled a trip to Cincinnati. Argentine Tango classes were cancelled as precaution. No corona virus found as yet. True Argentine tango is a very close contact dance. Hopefully in a month or two, will have another with legendary teacher, Marcela Duran.

Yep, she is hoping to get in under the wire. Cruise is scheduled for Saturday. But, if there is one person on board who tests positive on the inbound cruise, that will stop the outbound.

I had thought about the cruise line deciding it didn't want the risk. I hadn't thought about the port shutting down.
Big announcement just a short time ago from the Maryland governor about restrictions throughout the state, the relevant one being the port of Baltimore cruise ship terminal is closed "until further notice". (Many other measures were taken, to remain in effect until the state of emergency is over, but none relevant to travel.)

Looks like taking a cruise, which we have never done, will be permanently off our bucket list. :)

We have a couple of weddings to go to in June and July that are within 10 hours of us. The original plan was to fly (the locations are short direct connections from our closet airport, blow that dough!), but we now plan to drive. We will likely make it a two day trip.

For one other wedding, nephew and future niece-in-law had planned a large family event for early June, where many planned to fly to. My sister is now saying they are likely to just a civil ceremony with immediate local family, and postpone the gathering until next year.

Since retirement, vacation travel has been our largest expense category, about 20% of all of our expenses. As things are trending it will not be anywhere near that this year.

The cruise line offers of a refund and future credit too are nice, but by now all of the cruise lines and some airlines have "underlying medical conditions".

If I got a refund via check, I'd cash it immediately.
And I'd be careful about committing money (like airline tickets) for a future trip. Credit cards seem like the best idea.

My birding trip to Puerto Rico has just been postponed until the end of the year. I am somewhat relieved; the situation is changing hour by hour. I could imagine several bad outcomes - although the birding itself would be the least of the issues.

Next up, trying to collect some sort of credit from United.

Has anyone had to cancel an Airbnb? I was able to get full refunds on two of mine in France. I only received a partial refund for the one we'd have stayed at beginning April 24. I just sent a message that mentioned that all the government agencies seem to be saying don't travel, particularly if you're in the high risk group. Additionally, Macron just told his older citizens to stay home.

I've been trying to cancel a Friday flight with Delta since yesterday. Can't get through. Today it is mostly "Your call could not be completed due to technical difficulties."

The tickets were nonrefundable at purchase so they can't be cancelled online. But should be worth a future credit per the new rules.

I found a partial work a round. Their website has a "Compliment or Complaint" button. Hitting it gave me an email form with a text box. I could at least record the fact that I was trying to cancel. I got a reply that said my complaint had been received.

Stay on the line. I did and was told that there is a 6 hour hold time, but then was given the option of them calling me back, which I took. I should get my call in a few more hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom