Coronavirus - Travel impacts II

Status
Not open for further replies.
No real news here, our Italian Dolomite trip was cancelled yesterday. We will get 100% of any monies paid back to us. Meanwhile Ms G booked a kayaking/hiking cruise in the San Juan Islands WA. We already had the house sitter booked Alaska Air only wants $205 from TUC to SEA. Only 22 folks on the boat and a required C19 test before departure. We will have until Aug 3 to give it a go. I am still on the fence about the 7 day cruise.

No real news here, our Italian Dolomite trip was cancelled yesterday. We will get 100% of any monies paid back to us. Meanwhile Ms G booked a kayaking/hiking cruise in the San Juan Islands WA. We already had the house sitter booked Alaska Air only wants $205 from TUC to SEA. Only 22 folks on the boat and a required C19 test before departure. We will have until Aug 3 to give it a go. I am still on the fence about the 7 day cruise.

With a requirement like that, do they specify when the C19 test is to be taken? I could see doing one of the "instant" result tests the day before you board, but if it's taken even a week before you board then you have that time in between...I'm thinking of someone traveling to get there and what they might be exposed to. Just thinking out loud here as I look ahead to future planning.

With a requirement like that, do they specify when the C19 test is to be taken? I could see doing one of the "instant" result tests the day before you board, but if it's taken even a week before you board then you have that time in between...I'm thinking of someone traveling to get there and what they might be exposed to. Just thinking out loud here as I look ahead to future planning.

I was also looking at some travel that requires a negative test and had some of these same concerns. Aside from the potential for getting exposed after taking the test or while en route to the destination, what if there are continued supply shortages and tests just aren't available for asymptomatic people? Or what if you can't get results until 10 days after you take the test and the travel company requires one within 3 days?

Are they going to do the test themselves, because if not, there is a real big issue of when you get the results, what happens if you take the test and no results returned by the day of boarding ?

Haha 6 pages concerning testing sent to cruisers.
https://www.uncruise.com/about-us/media/travel-alerts

Home Preparation
1. Covid-19 Testing and Self-Isolation – Although not required by the state law,
UnCruise Adventures is mandating that all crew members and guests pass a
Covid-19 test prior to sailing. Specifically, everyone must complete a Covid-19
test no sooner than five days before the cruise departs. Our Pacific Northwest
sailings depart on a Saturday, so the tests must be accomplished no sooner than
Tuesday morning.
There are two basic kinds of COVID-19 testing; viral tests (also called PCR or
molecular tests) that check for current infection and antibody tests that test for
past infection. Due to current technology limitations, UnCruise Adventures does
not accept antibody tests as satisfying our pre-departure testing requirement.
Additionally, guests and crew members are expected to self-isolate as much as
possible before the cruise (three days minimum, preferable seven days). We
want you to enjoy the beautiful sites of Seattle, such as Pikes Market and Space
Needle. However, you should visit these great sites after your cruise, not before
V3 – July 23, 2020
it. Isolate, take your Covid-19 test, travel straight to your cruise, have a
fantastic vacation on the Safari Quest, then go enjoy other sites in Seattle.
Some Covid-19 testing protocols produce results very quickly (30 minutes or
less). However, most tests require sending a sample to a laboratory for analysis,
a process that can take several days to complete.
Guests are responsible for all costs associated with Covid-19 testing. Guests
may use a local facility if available (see this link for a list of possible testing
locations). We recommend you plan well in advance so you know exactly how
and where you will be tested, including calling any prospective facility to clarify
their procedures and turnaround times.
Alternatively, we have a great option available for you to take your Covid-19
test in the convenience of your home. The test kits we recommend require
a saliva sample. The collection process is observed by a medical
professional via a webinar. This test non-invasive, painless, and simple.
The kits are sold through a company called Vault Health. Click on this link and
follow the instructions for using this option to obtain your Covid-19 test. Please
order your kits well in advance to ensure they arrive on time. Remember, to
comply with UnCruise Adventures’ five-day Covid-19 testing requirement, take
your test Tuesday morning for your Saturday cruise and follow all the instructions
provided by Vault Health. Samples provided that were not obtained while
being monitored by Vault Health via a webinar are invalid.
Please do not hesitate to call our Sales Counselors if you have any questions

Car travel

We have switched to car travel. In Tennessee today, saw unmasked people in rest area (inside).

I asked one guy about it, he said that his was in his truck.

Disappointing. Did not feel really safe.

We have switched to car travel. In Tennessee today, saw unmasked people in rest area (inside).

I have driven from my mountain home in NC to eastern Tennessee. I will not go back. No one I saw was taking any Covid precautions. I predict the next big spike there.

Haha 6 pages concerning testing sent to cruisers.
https://www.uncruise.com/about-us/media/travel-alerts

Home Preparation
1. Covid-19 Testing and Self-Isolation – Although not required by the state law,
UnCruise Adventures is mandating that all crew members and guests pass a
Covid-19 test prior to sailing. Specifically, everyone must complete a Covid-19
test no sooner than five days before the cruise departs. Our Pacific Northwest
sailings depart on a Saturday, so the tests must be accomplished no sooner than
Tuesday morning.
There are two basic kinds of COVID-19 testing; viral tests (also called PCR or
molecular tests) that check for current infection and antibody tests that test for
past infection. Due to current technology limitations, UnCruise Adventures does
not accept antibody tests as satisfying our pre-departure testing requirement.
Additionally, guests and crew members are expected to self-isolate as much as
possible before the cruise (three days minimum, preferable seven days). We
want you to enjoy the beautiful sites of Seattle, such as Pikes Market and Space
Needle. However, you should visit these great sites after your cruise, not before
V3 – July 23, 2020
it. Isolate, take your Covid-19 test, travel straight to your cruise, have a
fantastic vacation on the Safari Quest, then go enjoy other sites in Seattle.
Some Covid-19 testing protocols produce results very quickly (30 minutes or
less). However, most tests require sending a sample to a laboratory for analysis,
a process that can take several days to complete.
Guests are responsible for all costs associated with Covid-19 testing. Guests
may use a local facility if available (see this link for a list of possible testing
locations). We recommend you plan well in advance so you know exactly how
and where you will be tested, including calling any prospective facility to clarify
their procedures and turnaround times.
Alternatively, we have a great option available for you to take your Covid-19
test in the convenience of your home. The test kits we recommend require
a saliva sample. The collection process is observed by a medical
professional via a webinar. This test non-invasive, painless, and simple.
The kits are sold through a company called Vault Health. Click on this link and
follow the instructions for using this option to obtain your Covid-19 test. Please
order your kits well in advance to ensure they arrive on time. Remember, to
comply with UnCruise Adventures’ five-day Covid-19 testing requirement, take
your test Tuesday morning for your Saturday cruise and follow all the instructions
provided by Vault Health. Samples provided that were not obtained while
being monitored by Vault Health via a webinar are invalid.
Please do not hesitate to call our Sales Counselors if you have any questions

Just stay home, I wouldn't go..this guarantees nothing.

Traveling I noticed big differences between states that required masks and those that didn’t. TX and AL it was really nice not having to deal with unmasked folks. Rest areas had very clear signage and folks were complying.

Received an email today from Princess re our Alaska land/cruise trip booked for Sept 21. Prepay now and get 10% off as well as $200 on board spending per stateroom. Tempting but no go. Sept 2021 is iffy as far as we're concerned.

Received an email today from Princess re our Alaska land/cruise trip booked for Sept 21. Prepay now and get 10% off as well as $200 on board spending per stateroom. Tempting but no go. Sept 2021 is iffy as far as we're concerned.

Please pay them, as they owe me money and claim they sent it July 23 to my credit card and it will show up in 7-10 days :eek:

Obviously they need an influx of cash to pay me the rest of what I'm owed from March 17, 2020 cancellation .. :mad:

Specifically, everyone must complete a Covid-19
test no sooner than five days before the cruise departs.
Currently impossible for the majority of people seeking tests.

Turn around time is too long.

Traveling I noticed big differences between states that required masks and those that didn’t. TX and AL it was really nice not having to deal with unmasked folks. Rest areas had very clear signage and folks were complying.

My recent long road trip was like that. Rest areas in Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming, and Iowa had nearly 100% compliance and all were amazingly clean. BTW, there are some really nice rest areas in that part of the country. The one on I-90 at the Missouri River was simply amazing!

Please pay them, as they owe me money and claim they sent it July 23 to my credit card and it will show up in 7-10 days :eek:

Obviously they need an influx of cash to pay me the rest of what I'm owed from March 17, 2020 cancellation .. :mad:

There's hope...I just received the credit for the cancelled Sept 2020 trip on my recent cc statement! IIRC they also cancelled back in March.

I'm in the same boat. The national park concessionaire was supposed to send me a check for a reservation that they 'lost' somehow due to a computer problem. Never got it. They claim to have refunded my credit card for another cancelled reservation. The bank that issued the card says they never got the refund information.

Phone calls to their service center are a waste of time. Those people are in the dark. Emails are ignored. It's very frustrating.

I think they are short of cash and holding off payment. I realize they are having problems, but if you don't provide the product you can't keep the money. At the very least they could send a letter acknowledging their obligation and asking for my patience. But, just ignoring requests for a justified refund is a poor business practice to say the least.

Well my refund from Princess took a bizarre turn.

I was trying to get a refund of approx $5K.
Since Costco had told me 110 days ago, it would take 3-10 biz days for the refund, after about a month I disputed the last payment with my CC. To at least ensure I got about $4.6K back.

I have been waiting but nothing.

Yesterday I phone Costco, after 1.5 hours on the phone with the TA, who then phones Princess, the Costco agent tells me she is ending her shift and will go home. She assures me someone else from Costco will phone me to follow up.

A few hours later, the phone rings and it is Costco. New TA tells me when I disputed the charge, Princess got their booking screwed up, and thought I owed them $300 :confused:

Supposedly Princess accounting will wipe the $300 false charge, and then they can work on refunding me.

I'm supposed to get another phone call from Costco on Friday :)

Finally, maybe all done.... :confused:

Costco supervisor phones me, says the $280 is on it's way to my CC.

She apologized for taking so long (3 wks) to get back to me, and in light of the time, and that the first rep sent me an email stating no (non-refundable part) she will send me $50 Costco cash card. :D

And she claims she listened to the phone call, and claims the rep mentioned twice there could be a non-refundable deposit. So Princess has given me FCC for $200 to be used by May 2022. :(

It's been very frustrating and annoying to get refunded by Costco/Princess especially when I compare it to AirBnb, which took about 2 days.

Looks like I will at least see if I can book something with Princess in early 2022, just to hold a spot.

Sunset, why in the world would you ever do business again with Princess Cruise Lines after all the run a round they gave you on your refund? Personally I don't think I will ever take a cruise again, cruises are virus hot spots and you can never get off!

Sunset, why in the world would you ever do business again with Princess Cruise Lines after all the run a round they gave you on your refund? Personally I don't think I will ever take a cruise again, cruises are virus hot spots and you can never get off!

Good point, although they do have $200 of my money that I cannot get back. So I look and think how can I best find the silver lining in the situation.

As long as there is a vaccine that works well, I'm fine with cruises as they are an easy way to see various awkward spots to see. Example 6 different islands in Caribbean.

I will be looking to pick a cruise that has a fully refundable deposit this time, or at least no more than the $200 I've already sunk into Princess.

The biggest catch, is the vaccine issue, without it, in about 2 years I'll kiss off my $200 credits.

Trip from Virginia to Dallas

I have driven from my mountain home in NC to eastern Tennessee. I will not go back. No one I saw was taking any Covid precautions. I predict the next big spike there.

We found mask wearing to be frequent on our trip from suburban DC to Dallas. However, every place where we stopped in Tennessee and Arkansas featured at least some people unmasked inside. Seems better here in Texas, but still see some unmasked in stores.

Excellent rest stops in Tennessee and Texas, where we stopped for picnic lunches. Truck stops were good for large clean restrooms.

Rest stops mostly closed in Arkansas along the interstates

Return leg will be along the coast. Will be interesting

TX has had a statewide mask mandate since July 3rd.

Wherever we traveled in the state two weeks ago we found very good indoor compliance.

It’s quite clear by state as you travel as almost everyone is wearing masks in mandated states, and far fewer in states without - TX yes, LA no, MS no, AL yes, GA no.

AL was interesting because they had no statewide mandate when we drove to TX but had instituted one before our return to GA, and it was like night and day!

Last edited:
Good-bye Air Travel, For Now

Yeah, that’s my thinking as well. Road trips might be safer sooner, but that might just be wishful thinking.

Friend and I had booked a 10-day(Go Ahead Tours) trip to German, Austria, Switzerland, planned to fly Austrian Air to Florence, then enjoy Florence for another 10 days. (May 31-June 11, '20).

Cancelled Florence portion in April. Full refunds from VRBO, VIATOR day trips, the Uffizzi, and the Academia. Much back and forth with Austrian Air for pandemic-related refund. They said about 8 wks ago we would get a refund. None yet. Postponed Go Ahead to this Sept.

Just cancelled the Sept. Go Ahead Tour. Will supposedly get full refund, minus the cost of the travel ins. I bought through them.

Cancelled Delta tickets to nephew's July wedding in CA. They said we would get a full refund about three weeks ago. None yet. Full refund, within 24 hrs., from Airbnb where we were going to stay during the wedding week.

So, our little motor home has become the winner. DH and I can take short trips, socially distance/do our own cooking, wear gloves when we fill up with gas.

Friend and I still want to take those trips to Europe.......after a dependable vaccine and Covid cure have been developed.

So far, it's Austrian Air I will not use in the future. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom