Corporate Bond Prospects

lawman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm always looking for good investment grade corporate notes. I would like to have a thread where CUSIP numbers are offered for consideration. One I bought is Barclay's 06748X-NQ-0..Is it a good risk/reward choice? Any others?

Excellent thread topic! I’ve been following the other thread with great interest and thankful for the information shared there especially all the insights form Freedom56. However, I keep looking at the bond listings on Fidelity’s site and find myself frozen. I see some I’d like to consider but then I am wondering what else I might be missing in the analysis given I’ve never invested in individual bonds. A discussion like you’re proposing would be real helpful.

For what’s it’s worth I think Barclays Bank corporate notes are safer than many American banks. It’s an international bank with a pretty conservative operation.

Excellent thread topic! I’ve been following the other thread with great interest and thankful for the information shared there especially all the insights form Freedom56. However, I keep looking at the bond listings on Fidelity’s site and find myself frozen. I see some I’d like to consider but then I am wondering what else I might be missing in the analysis given I’ve never invested in individual bonds. A discussion like you’re proposing would be real helpful.
This too is my first rodeo with individual bonds..All my adult life I have invested in mutual funds. My bond mutual fund worked until it didn't...I finally sold showing a $40,000.00 loss..At most in the 20 years I had that fund I had taken maybe $30,000.00 in cash dividends so my loss is something considerably less than $40,000.00 but when I think about the time aspect I know it was a huge mistake. I'm still in one bond fund but other than that NO MORE BOND FUNDS FOR ME! I hope to avoid such BIG mistakes with individual bonds. I too appreciate those who are well versed sharing what they have learned..Hopefully I can avoid another calamity..

This too is my first rodeo with individual bonds..All my adult life I have invested in mutual funds. My bond mutual fund worked until it didn't...I finally sold showing a $40,000.00 loss..At most in the 20 years I had that fund I had taken maybe $30,000.00 in cash dividends so my loss is something considerably less than $40,000.00 but when I think about the time aspect I know it was a huge mistake. I'm still in one bond fund but other than that NO MORE BOND FUNDS FOR ME! I hope to avoid such BIG mistakes with individual bonds. I too appreciate those who are well versed sharing what they have learned..Hopefully I can avoid another calamity..

Hopefully you didn’t have too much tied up in bonds because that would be a huge opportunity loss over 20 years (didn’t even keep up with inflation).

Lawman - Regarding that Barclay's note, where were you able to buy it. Did you buy it at par as a new issue or were you able to place a limit order and get it for a little less? Thanks.

Lawman - Regarding that Barclay's note, where were you able to buy it. Did you buy it at par as a new issue or were you able to place a limit order and get it for a little less? Thanks.

I bought it through Schwab on 08/25/22 at the price of $99.975. YTM is 5.024%. The first day I tried to find it I could not. Not sure if it was a new issue or if I found it through the bond search option. It is a step up which means it pays a higher rate as time goes by..However it is callable with a YTW of 4.263%

Thanks for that information. It was never available at Vanguard.

Thanks for starting this thread!
Realy appreciate all the knowledge shared by Freedom56 on the other thread.

How is this new upcoming issue ?
Ford Credit Notes 5.65% due 9/20/2024 Callable 09/23@100 - Conditional Puts - Death of holder ....yield at issue = 5.651
CUSIP : 34540TA69

Ford Credit Notes 5.65% due 9/20/2024 Callable 09/23@100 - Conditional Puts - Death of holder ....yield at issue = 5.651

Seems good to me but I know Freedom stays away from auto manufacturers..I can't imagine Ford going bankrupt in the next 2 years.. Maybe he will chime in..

Just saw this is rated Ba which is not investment grade..Seems odd to me.

I don't invest in the auto sector but Ford is better managed than GM and others.

Just saw this is rated Ba which is not investment grade..Seems odd to me.

Ford is high yield now but that should not be the only deciding factor. Boeing is investment grade and burning through cash whereas there are many high yield bonds/notes from companies that are very profitable.

Back
Top Bottom