Corporate and Agency GSE Bond DEALS and NEW ISSUES

Secondary market on Fido....BA1 / BBB-....too low rating for my portfolio

Any takers on F Bonds?
34540TF98

6.25% Coupon
4 yr. maturity
callable on Dec 24

Disclaimer: I'm not saying Ford is going bankrupt, in fact I own the common.

To put this is perspective, in 2008 I bought a Ford preferred with a 7.5% coupon for 21 cents on the dollar. Yes, it had a 35.7% yield.

It was eventually redeemed a few years later at par. My point is that if things get bad (like great recession bad), the yields on lower rated/risky debt will be much, much higher. (Also note that the actual Ford bonds weren't at 35% as they were higher on the debt pecking order.)

For me, fixed is a place where (for the most part), I want to err on the side of safety and not a place to stretch for yield. (My exceptions to this is a small handful of preferred issues). I have equity investments to go for the gusto. The yield on Ford common is 4.86% as of end of today, and was over 6% about a month or two ago.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying Ford is going bankrupt, in fact I own the common.

To put this is perspective, in 2008 I bought a Ford preferred with a 7.5% coupon for 21 cents on the dollar. Yes, it had a 35.7% yield.

It was eventually redeemed a few years later at par. My point is that if things get bad (like great recession bad), the yields on lower rated/risky debt will be much, much higher. (Also note that the actual Ford bonds weren't at 35% as they were higher on the debt pecking order.)

For me, fixed is a place where (for the most part), I want to err on the side of safety and not a place to stretch for yield. (My exceptions to this is a small handful of preferred issues). I have equity investments to go for the gusto. The yield on Ford common is 4.86% as of end of today, and was over 6% about a month or two ago.

Good take. Thanks. Deferred to more 17 week Tbills with the cash needing investing.
Trying to add duration here and there.

Its live now! anyone taking a dip or found anything out there thats better than this yield?

Shocked to see but new on Fido this afternoon:
3133EPS48
FFCB
6.32%
Maturity: 20-Year
First Call: 3-months (March 28)
Issue Date: December 28

I definitely picked up to replace called versions paying out the day prior

Haven't seen anything better in the last week, especially when I factor in the state/local tax exemption.

I like it. I have made some good money with WDI. Hard to beat 11%-12% dividends with capital appreciation. It’s has jumped about 3%+ in just the last two days.

What signals are you watching for that may make you get out of WDI?

Is there a way to see their trades (what they are buying/selling?

Last week one of my FFCB bonds (6.33%) was called. Today another FFCB bond (6.32%) call was announced. I guess my dry powder will be replenished.

Higher interest bonds lately since rates have jumped from bottom

Does anyone noticed most bonds interest rates have jumped since the rates bottomed several wks ago?

Definitely a little movement back up on the longer duration stuff. Still, I don't expect any significant upward trend and quickly grabbing longer dated stuff as I get free funds

Last week one of my FFCB bonds (6.33%) was called. Today another FFCB bond (6.32%) call was announced. I guess my dry powder will be replenished.

I received an email notifying me of a 6.25% coupon FHLMC bond being called (3134H1GG2). Seems like the 6%+ issues are being called slowly but surely.

Not at all unexpected but it was nice while it lasted.

This one is available at Schwab today.

FHLB 6.05% 01/26/2044 Callable

CUSIP: 3130AYN93
Coupon Rate: 6.05%
Minimum Investment: $10,000
Maturity Date: 01/26/2044
Call Provision: Callable in whole or part Daily beginning 07/26/2024 with 5 days notice.

If you are looking to park money for 6 months this might be a good choice as it is likely to be called in late July.

Nice find, unfortunately not available new at ML or Fido, although they have slightly less good but comparable:

FHLB 6.00% 01/26/2044 Callable

CUSIP: 3130AYM94
Coupon Rate: 6.00%
Call Provision: 04/26/2024 (WORSE)

This one is available at Schwab today.

FHLB 6.05% 01/26/2044 Callable

CUSIP: 3130AYN93
Coupon Rate: 6.05%
Call Provision: Callable in whole or part Daily beginning 07/26/2024 with 5 days notice.

If you are looking to park money for 6 months this might be a good choice as it is likely to be called in late July.

This will most likely not be called in July. This is the second worst rate issued for this term over the past year. There are plenty of mid-6 rate bonds for this term that are not called. If you purchase this one, you are in for the longer haul and are subject to lots of interest rate volatility.

This will most likely not be called in July. This is the second worst rate issued for this term over the past year. There are plenty of mid-6 rate bonds for this term that are not called. If you purchase this one, you are in for the longer haul and are subject to lots of interest rate volatility.
If it doesn't get called I'll be happy to take 6.05% for the next 20 years.

Was waiting all week and can't believe FHLB didn't call my 7% issue (3130AXGD4) that is callable starting today (knock on wood)

I've had a few CDs called recently, but most were going to mature in 2-3 months anyway.

Does 06055JDF3 seem okay? I am new to Corporate bonds, this seems like it will be three years at 5.45%.

Seems reasonable to me if you like the rate. A1 pretty darned safe. Fido says it has SFP (basically scheduled mandatory call dates for portions of the issue) but for the life of me didn't look like it in the prospectus.

If it were me, I might consider 06745PKZ3 (Barclay's) A1 5.55% being offered at $99.15 (5.61% yield) 2054 maturity, 2029 first call, appears to have SFP

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom