Costco comments and questions

Yes, you can use ApplePay with an iPhone at checkout. I do it with my Apple watch. I think Costco supports other phone digital payment methods.

Oh, I get it. I use my wallet and select the Costco card. I was thinking I’d pay through the app somehow. Thanks.

I loaded the Costco app on my phone. It was already on my iPad. I have my Costco credit card entered into the app. I’ve used it before to make purchases through the app on the online site. Question is, can I use my phone to not only get into Costco but to also pay. I’m assuming there’s a way, but I’d like to have some sense of how it works before I’m in line trying to pay.

Yes, you may associate your Costco Visa with your digital membership that you download to the Costco app directly. This is done from the Account tab, directly under your membership card image with the QR code.

https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/10302/~/make-checkout-fast-and-easy-with-a-digital-payment-card%21

No extra step of physical card or paying from your digital wallet app on your phone, at checkout in the Costco warehouse you are asked “Would you like to use the card associated with your digital membership”?

The digital membership card does not work in the food court or the pumps though.

I haven’t yet tried Apple Pay at Costco since I just use the Costco app.

I used to use my Citi Bank Costco Visa all the time at Costco to get my 2% back. But, my Fidelity VISA also gives me 2% back and I don’t have to wait for it or cash in some piece of paper to get it.

Besides, Citi Bank has taken away the most valuable extra benefits from the Costco Visa such as travel insurance and extended warranty coverage. I hope the 4% on gas and the 3% on travel are locked into their agreement with Costco.

I used to use my Citi Bank Costco Visa all the time at Costco to get my 2% back. But, my Fidelity VISA also gives me 2% back and I don’t have to wait for it or cash in some piece of paper to get it.

Besides, Citi Bank has taken away the most valuable extra benefits from the Costco Visa such as travel insurance and extended warranty coverage. I hope the 4% on gas and the 3% on travel are locked into their agreement with Costco.

I agree- I use the Costco card only for travel, restaurants and gas.

But sometimes I laugh at myself foraging for the Costco card at the gas pump because I get an extra 2%- on a fill-up that's usually under 9 gallons.

But sometimes I laugh at myself foraging for the Costco card at the gas pump because I get an extra 2%- on a fill-up that's usually under 9 gallons.

Notice it's "4% on eligible gas"

Turns out gas from Kroger isn't eligible - which is where I buy gas when I'm not buying it from Costco.

Costco Trials Member Card Scanners at Entry

Just saw this on my local Seattle news. At a Costco near their HQ office, two scanners were installed at the entry doors with an employee standing by each scanner. Members are to scan their membership card, which in turn displays the membership card's photo stored within their membership account on a screen for the employee to compare with the member's face. If they match, employee lets them in. If it doesn't, then no entry allowed. If denied entry, member is referred to the membership desk for further help.

They've been validating member's face to picture on back of the card at checkout for a while now. There's concern about how long the line will get to gain entry, but will eliminate the need to check pic at checkout. Wonder what reasoning is leading them to now try this at entry? My pic on my card is 20 years old and really doesn't look like me now, so I'll probably ask for a new card to be made.

Just saw this on my local Seattle news. At a Costco near their HQ office, two scanners were installed at the entry doors with an employee standing by each scanner. Members are to scan their membership card, which in turn displays the membership card's photo stored within their membership account on a screen for the employee to compare with the member's face. If they match, employee lets them in. If it doesn't, then no entry allowed. If denied entry, member is referred to the membership desk for further help.

They've been validating member's face to picture on back of the card at checkout for a while now. There's concern about how long the line will get to gain entry, but will eliminate the need to check pic at checkout. Wonder what reasoning is leading them to now try this at entry? My pic on my card is 20 years old and really doesn't look like me now, so I'll probably ask for a new card to be made.
There’s already a current discussion about Costco and checking identity, and this post is relevant, so better to merge the discussion.

This scanner is an interesting development, thanks for posting. This would cause a pretty big traffic jam at the entrance of our local Costco at opening time and around lunch time.

I guess the benefit of checking identify at the entrance compared with the checkout is at checkout if they deny service because of an identity dispute, all the merchandise in the shopping cart has to be returned to the shelves, a labor intensive process.

Still, it sounds like Costco is serious about limiting entrance to actual paid members.

I see your point but, IMO, one has to remember that it’s those small things that got us on the way to a retirement where we can enjoy spending our money without worrying about the rent or putting food on the table.

Also affecting my attitude towards getting 2% back on a $10 purchase is that while it’s not much to me, if I do nothing else I can cash out all those little amounts every few months and give it to the grands. They will think it’s great. Even better they will think I am great. :D. Or i can donate it so some charity. Any good cause is better than giving it back to the guys and gals who run the Big Banks.

I loaded the Costco app on my phone. It was already on my iPad. I have my Costco credit card entered into the app. I’ve used it before to make purchases through the app on the online site. Question is, can I use my phone to not only get into Costco but to also pay. I’m assuming there’s a way, but I’d like to have some sense of how it works before I’m in line trying to pay.

The "Account" option is at the bottom-middle in my Costco app when I first open it. Tapping Account shows my name, member number, picture, QR code for purchases and a link to tap for my Citi Costco card.

I paid for gas using the QR code on the pump scanner for the first time last week. I don't think it was anymore efficient than tapping my physical Citi Costco card but wanted to try it to see how it worked.

I haven't tried paying inside using the Costco app yet, but I believe it's possible.

Last year Costco did start where you can direct deposit the rebate check to your account, rather than having to cash it in store. Still has the once yearly rebate though.

I paid for gas using the QR code on the pump scanner for the first time last week. I don't think it was anymore efficient than tapping my physical Citi Costco card but wanted to try it to see how it worked.

You can definitely save seconds of your time by simply tapping the CostCo Visa on the pump - if you have it on you.

I try to carry a minimum number of cards, so leave the Costco visa out of my pocket can still buy gas (or purchase items at Costco) without it.

I use my watch and ApplePay as it’s fastest for me not even dealing with the phone.

I imagine it would be even faster and more convenient if there was an Apple Watch Costco app that could be scanned for member verification.

The "Account" option is at the bottom-middle in my Costco app when I first open it. Tapping Account shows my name, member number, picture, QR code for purchases and a link to tap for my Citi Costco card.

I haven't tried paying inside using the Costco app yet, but I believe it's possible.

The Costco app worked just fine for me in the warehouse last night.

I tried the QR code on iPhone Costco app at the pump scanner. Instead of automatically going to my Costco Visa card which is linked to my digital identity on the Costco app, Apple Pay asked to charge my Apple Card. Wanted Costco Visa, so cancelled the transaction and tapped the physical Costco Visa card instead. Not that the card has been trouble-free. Tap-to-pay stopped working on my Costco Visa card last year. (Ended up getting a new card.)

Don’t want my phone to smell like gasoline. Still, it’s nice to have the option to use the app if you forget to bring your card.

As a Costco GM I can tell you the amount of card sharing is crazy. We have been doing this for about 6 months, and it has cut it down drastically. It is a small percentage doing it, but with 120 million card holders that adds up. I can also tell you theft is a big deal. With the new laws in America and lack of prosecution, these theft rings are out of control. The last thing is almost all of our profit comes from membership fees. The money we make on merchandise goes to pay the employees and keep the lights on. I can tell you there is no company out there that focuses on lowering prices like Costco. We are lowering prices on deflationary product weekly.

Our Costco has self-checkouts, but they are manned by an employee. I asked why the other day and the employee said that the folks in our area preferred it that way. There are no Gestapo folks at the door checking your papers, just an employee that adds you to the total through the door with their "clicker".

We often go through the service entrance directly to get our "Sausage and Drink", then go through the store after. We always pay with our Costco Visa, so they know who we are.

I would think that digitally comparing the Costco membership account with the name on the credit card being used, and flagging any that don't match, would catch most of these issues. If they did that then most of these issues should be dramatically reduced without much inconvenience for anyone...

As a Costco GM I can tell you the amount of card sharing is crazy. We have been doing this for about 6 months, and it has cut it down drastically. It is a small percentage doing it, but with 120 million card holders that adds up. I can also tell you theft is a big deal. With the new laws in America and lack of prosecution, these theft rings are out of control. The last thing is almost all of our profit comes from membership fees. The money we make on merchandise goes to pay the employees and keep the lights on. I can tell you there is no company out there that focuses on lowering prices like Costco. We are lowering prices on deflationary product weekly.

I’m somewhat surprised but it seems to make sense. Most Costco product prices are very good.

I visited recently 2 Seattle Costco stores close to downtown, and one southern California store. They have not started to check IDs on entry. At cashier, they just scan the card barcode and not check my picture.

My membership card is 24 years old. My picture and member number have faded. I think I will get a new card next time I visit the store.

I would think that digitally comparing the Costco membership account with the name on the credit card being used, and flagging any that don't match, would catch most of these issues. If they did that then most of these issues should be dramatically reduced without much inconvenience for anyone...
With the amount of money involved here you can be sure that the Costco guys have evaluated many, many, tactics (including your suggestion) and probably tested more than a few.

You can also bet that they are watching Amazon's experiments with no-checkout stores and the TSA experience with facial recognition. I'll find out in a couple of months but I've read that Global Entry has gone to facial recognition too. The real experience, though, is within China's surveillance state.

A few days ago Sam's Club announced it will replace human receipt checking with an automated process, and will be fully implemented this year. The release also said it had tested this in 10 stores.
The new tech announced at CES will deliver new levels of convenience by leveraging a first-of-its-kind application of artificial intelligence (AI) and computer vision technology to eliminate queuing at the club’s exit area. The move to use digital solutions to drive a better member experience builds on Sam’s Club’s existing technologies, such as Scan & Go™, to provide members with a more convenient shopping experience and differentiate Sam’s Club as a segment innovator.
Press release here https://corporate.walmart.com/about...urther-enhancing-members-shopping-experiences

The last thing the consumer needs is thieves and cheaters damaging discounters like Costco.

Back
Top Bottom