COVID habits you've kept

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned to cut my own hair, and have continued doing it. I never enjoyed having it cut at a salon anyway, so this has turned out well.

Keep as far away from people as possible.

Honestly, I think that staying home more has "stuck." It isn't so much that we don't go out. We do when we need or want to. But, it seems to be more...purposeful now for us to go to a store. During Covid, we always pondered whether we really needed to go or whether we could get it online. That has basically stuck. The result is that we go to the grocery store less as well as other places.

Eating out has taken a "hit." We did mostly switch to takeout. We found that for many places we used to eat out, the food was just as good and more convenient at home. So we mostly eat out now (as opposed to takeout) when we specifically want the ambiance of the restaurant, or we want to eat something that won't travel well or we are far enough away from home that takeout isn't practical. So, for example, if we want food from Panera we just bring it to our house.

However, our takeout/dining out is less now because I realized how many things can actually be made at home that are the same/similar to what you get in the restaurant.

I am not currently masking (have had all boosters) but I would mask if I didn't feel well (if I had to go out) or if I felt it might be a suspect situation. I wouldn't have a second thought about doing it. Whereas, pre-Covid I would never have thought to do it.

My hair is still growing out but I think that's more a function of being FI and exercising that freedom. I don't think most people find it attractive (and I don't completely disagree) but I'm still having fun!

I like fist bumping over handshakes and they've become a new social norm. I never really liked handshaking that much anyway (mostly due to many so many bad handshakers that are either limp wristed or think it's some sort of hand strength domination contest).

I keep a slightly larger stock of non-perishables and paper products. Partially a result of the shortages but more driven by post-COVID inflation... why not buy ahead of need in an inflationary environment?

I keep paper towels in my pocket to use for opening doors, pushing elevator buttons, use in public bathrooms, etc. I avoid crowded elevators if possible. I try to avoid using public bathrooms. I still mask in crowded indoor situations. I have not been sick with even a cold in 3 years and I have really liked that.

I keep paper towels in my pocket to use for opening doors, pushing elevator buttons, use in public bathrooms, etc. I avoid crowded elevators if possible. I try to avoid using public bathrooms. I still mask in crowded indoor situations. I have not been sick with even a cold in 3 years and I have really liked that.

I'd bet it's more being FIREd than paper towels! I'm not a sickly person but get much less forced exposure to sick co-workers now. I kept a SAM's club jug of sanitizer on my desk and used it every time I returned and still got a few colds a year. Now, I just have a tiny bottle in my car and have had only one cold (probably from a flight I took with a guy hacking behind me).

Still mask on planes and in crowded indoor areas. Nothing else really.

Still keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in both vehicles as well as sanitary wipes, religiously wash hands after being out in public after touching items others may have touched, gas pump handles, groceries, etc. DW has a cache of TP, paper towels and other essential consumables in an unknown secret location somewhere at Casa De Frayne. Oh and 90% of golf buddies still fist bump as opposed to shaking hands.

We never went back to the gym. We used to do weights once or twice a week and a Les Mills BodyFlow class twice a week.

We signed up to LesMills and now prefer doing the exercise routines at home. We also bought some free weights and do the Les Mills strength videos.

I don't think we will go back to cruising for a long time, if ever, except for river cruises.

Not much has changed for us except my spouse and I are both WFH full time now rather than going into the office 3-4 days a week. Both our offices are mostly empty now anyway, as our consulting work can easily be done remotely. The biggest thing is that we tip higher on takeout than we used to. We used to do takeout but dine in at a restaurant once or twice a month, but now we usually only dine in for birthday celebrations, and since the pandemic we want to encourage the places that have added online ordering and always get to-go orders 100% correct.

Kind of related to the hand shaking, we've continued to be careful when handling things like gas pumps. I either put on a disposable glove or have hand sanitizer ready after I've finished pumping. I also avoid door handles as much as possible and if I have to touch something like that, I use hand sanitizer afterwards.

I actually always pulled my sweater or sweatshirt down over my hand to pull doors open, since long sleeve weather is usually flu season here, and I got in the habit of using my elbow or, at worst, the back of my knuckle to press elevator buttons year-round. But it's funny you mention gas pumps, since they're outdoors I don't worry about them as much, but the last time I pumped gas I needed hand sanitizer....because my hands smelled like gasoline! Ugh. I really didn't want to touch anything until I could wash or sanitize.

I thought I'd have all these habits but I dropped most.

I shake hands a lot less, but still shake, especially on construction sites where my hands get full of crap anyway.

I do take Vitamin D now, something my doctor suggested before Covid anyway.

We rarely eat out anymore. Cooking at home with high quality ingredients is fun and healthier. I also cut DH’s hair.

I'd bet it's more being FIREd than paper towels! I'm not a sickly person but get much less forced exposure to sick co-workers now. I kept a SAM's club jug of sanitizer on my desk and used it every time I returned and still got a few colds a year. Now, I just have a tiny bottle in my car and have had only one cold (probably from a flight I took with a guy hacking behind me).

I have been retired 20 years. For the first 17 years DH and I would get sick with flu, cold, stomach virus etc several times a year. DH has an autoimmune disease and he would catch every disease around and then often give it to me. In the last 3 years since doing Covid preventions like not shaking hands, masking, not touching surfaces, etc, neither one of us has any sicknesses. It has been an eye opener for us.

- We now keep a permanent six month supply of TP on hand. :LOL:
- Same with paper towels and paper napkins.
- When garlic was hard to find, I started buying in multiples when in stock, then peeled and froze it. I really like how fresh it tastes upon it's quick defrost, so I've kept this habit up.
- Again, due to supply disruption during COVID, I now keep backups of the products I can't imagine cooking without- kosher salt, black pepper corns, and EV olive oil.
- Took up guitar, and still at it.
- I also now read and craft considerably more than I did before COVID.

Best of all, I stopped highlighting my hair, and found I love it's slightly silver streaked natural color. Monkey off my back, and $1500 annually back in my bank account.

Last edited:
Everything is pretty normal for the most part. Among the few that mask on planes. When out I maintain distance from people as this is consistent with maintaining good health.

I ditched the wallet and went with a slim money clip as I had done previously when travelling. That has remained.

Otherwise we shop, travel, go to sporting events, theatre, restaurants, etc. We do enjoy outdoor dining more.

We do opt for car travel more these days, even for long trips, as it seems safer, there is less drama, rental vehicles can still be scarce and expensive and we have the time. Also those super cheap covid era fares are gone.

I hardly had to change anything when COVID arrived so there were no covid habits to keep or break. Had always used hand sanitizer when out and touching things e.g supermarket carts, gas pumps, more than one or two public door handles. Always went shopping at off times when depopulated. Almost never ate out. Never could see the attraction. I have no hobbies or group associations that required weekly/monthly meetings. I was already about a year loaded up on TP and paper towels before covid.

When covid subsided I ditched the mask and stopped "eyeballing" 6 feet separation from other people in public places.

Otherwise it's been more or less situational normal all the way through. I knew that lone-wolf lifestyle would come in handy some day.

Distancing and just more careful in my surroundings. I use sanitizing product after entering public places and have become more conscious of my hands not touching face and what I touch door handles etc..

I bought myself a (generic) stationary bicycle during Covid. It was not high-end, but I had tried the same model at my son's house, and liked it. It had resistance settings, a timer (other monitors as well, but the timer was the one that I used), was quite, and perhaps most important, was comfortable and stable. I try to get in an hour a day on it, and can listen to one of my podcasts.

I started listening to medical podcasts. I tend to bounce back-and-forth between medical and financial podcasts.

If I feel the slightest bit under the weather, I "attend" church services remotely.

I have become very cognizant of not mingling with other people if I don't feel well. This year, I felt something coming on Christmas Eve. I was very much looking forward to seeing family, but didn't want to get anyone else sick so I "quarantined" myself over Christmas.

We used to go in person for community college classes: aerobic, yoga, arts, music appreciation. Starting on 2020, all moved to Zoom online. They are still online this year.

I have become very cognizant of not mingling with other people if I don't feel well. This year, I felt something coming on Christmas Eve. I was very much looking forward to seeing family, but didn't want to get anyone else sick so I "quarantined" myself over Christmas.

Yes, same here. I was due to attend a training session this morning but seemed to have caught the same cold and cough that the rest of the family caught over Christmas and in January (several Covid tests were negative)

I called to say I wouldn’t come because I didn’t want pass it onto the other folks who would be there. Instead I went for a walk by myself on the moor behind the house. This afternoon I did a Covid test just to be sure. Positive. Never had Covid before, and most of the folks on the training course are in their 70s or older so being extra cautious worked.

*We still have not returned to our local little gym.
*Eat at restaurants once a month, but try heated outside patios if available, otherwise as far away as possible, also go at off hours--3 or 4 pm for late lunch/early dinner.
*former Public Health RN, so have always been a frequent hand washer and user of hand sanitizer, no change there
*see long distance friends less often in person, have not been on any public transportation yet, travel only by personal car right now. doesn't really bother me, as I am an Introvert anyway and we maintain contact via phone or online.
*do more puzzles online, gardening, reading.
*try to pay attention to supplies, do more ordering online or go to the store late in the evening, just before closing. Far less folks there then.
*most likely adding annual Covid booster to annual flu shot appointments.
*still mask when out in public, this is something we plan to continue forever. No illnesses recently due to less exposure!

I live in a relatively rural area. My hygene habits remained as before covid, during and now.
I did not buy into the covid hoopla, I considered it, and still do, utter BS..
Put up with restrictions when forced, by having to use masks in certain locations. Most of which I avoided.
Currently taking dance classes other then Tango, learning new dance skills are a blast. No masks recommended or required. Though the usual, if one feels sick, stay away is a good thing. This was true in all dance venues before covid as well.

I think the most obvious social situations that are conducive to spreading whatever germs in no particular order. 1) airplanes. 2) movie theaters. 3) large indoor family gatherings. 4) crowded restaurants 5) classrooms. 6) cruises. 7) indoor sporting events. 8) black Friday type of retail events.

^^^ In reference to number 3. A friend has a NFL playoff party every year. Conference championship day - 2 games. 15-20 guys sitting around in his basement for 6 hours watching football, eating and drinking.

I didn't go in 2020 or 2021. Went this year, and found out that 7 of the guys there caught covid at last year's party. No word yet as to this year's party Covid tally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom