Creative design ideas in your dream house - or for your future dream house

Got up on the roof and verified the chimney looks good and also the flue dimensions. Ordered up the Osburn 1100 with the fancy trim and the double wall SS liner kit. Should be here end of next week. Woo-hoo!

$300 tax credit too - :)

Attachments

• Osburn 1100.JPG
    Osburn 1100.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 32
When I have that done, I'd really like to have bright motion detector floodlights installed by my back door. Right now there are regular floodlights there but I wish they worked by motion detection. I don't have the foggiest idea what needs to be done for that, but I'll call my handyman and tell him to make it so.

I had the same issue for my back porch, and rather than replace the whole thing which matches other exterior lights, I bought a LED motion activated light bulb, it was $10 about a year ago.
I bought via newegg, but they were really selling it for a chinese company, so it took 2 weeks to be delivered.

similar to this listing:

E27 9W LED PIR Motion Sensor Detection Auto Lamp Walkway Light Bulb 220V | eBay

Add to this list - something we have in our current house so they are well-tested:

Andersen casement windows.

Energy efficient. Easily removable screens on the inside for cleaning.

Also have Andersen sliding glass doors.

You can still get parts for these windows.

Would like to have - tall bathroom counters. Don't like bending over to my knees to brush teeth.

Would like - tall bathroom sink faucet located off center - for washing hair.

Saw someone's kitchen where they took big drawers turned sideways, added a shelf inside - and mounted them sideways over the top of the refrigerator - making that space usable "and" easy to get things in and out.

The fronts of the drawers were flush with the front of the refrigerator.

Would like - tall bathroom sink faucet located off center - for washing hair.

I like that idea.

One kitchen feature that I would love is a concealed shelf for a stand mixer that emerges and rises to counter height. Complete with plug. I saw this recently at a friend's home.

Last edited:
One kitchen feature that I would love is a concealed shelf for a stand mixer that emerges and rises to counter height. Complete with plug. I saw this recently at a friend's home.

The people who had the over-the-refrigerator-drawers-turned-sideways also had the concealed stand mixer set-up you describe.

They had a giant drawer full of occasional use items - such as a blender - that were also complete with the powered plug-ins. Just reach in and set on counter, use, clean, and shove back into drawer.

A lot of thought had gone into the rest of the cabinetry. Such as:

... a large (5 or 6 ft?) pullout that had canned goods on one side, and a skinny place for broom and dust pan on the other side

...vertical spaces in a cupboard over the oven for cookie sheets

...lengths of motion-detector activated LED light tape up under the toe-kick areas. Walk into the kitchen at night and you can see where you're going without having to flip a switch anywhere

...small glass-front doors at the very top that were LED lighted

...very smooth contoured drawer and door pulls that are "bruise-free"

...more big drawers for pots and pans

Another area (stairs) also had motion-detector activated stair lighting.

They had a giant drawer full of occasional use items - such as a blender - that were also complete with the powered plug-ins. Just reach in and set on counter, use, clean, and shove back into drawer.

I have see one concept similar to the other described shelf-like surface that pivots up...but I'm having a hard time picturing what you are describing. Any chance they could snap a quick photo and send it to you to post?

They had put a plug bar fastened onto the back left of the drawer - to power these items. A part of the back of the drawer is cut lower - to give room for the plug bar to go somewhere to get power. Photo to come.

Last edited:
Hope this helps. You can see the plug bar mounted in the back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 8.23.55 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 8.23.55 PM.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 33
For a house we built - we spray-painted the metal exterior doors with automobile paint.

Last edited:
This is not so much a house feature - but handy...

I placed an led rope light under the bed. There is a nice glow for seeing where you're walking at night - but the light doesn't shine in your eyes.

The newer houses I see in person or online seem to have mostly drawers in the lower kitchen cabinets.

My modification is to have a couple of lower cupboards with bins or baskets in them that pull out.

Once had a laundry room (with room for ironing board) near the bedrooms. Much better than what we have now (which is washer, dryer and utility sink in a walk-through area between garage and kitchen.)

Back
Top Bottom