Credit card fraud

I had it happen twice in pretty rapid succession, but (knock on wood) have not had it happen in years.

I have an AMEX that I use for everything. Never use cash. But I do keep it blocked until I use it, and then I block it right back. Has worked well....so far.

Arrgh! My Discover card just got a fraudulent charge. The person used a card in a swiped transaction at a store several states away. Discover fraud alert denied the charge, notified me through email and text (my account settings) requesting my approval/denial. I've had the same Discover account for over 20 years with no issues but Discover has cancelled that card and will provide a new account/card. I guess my luck has finally run out and I've got to change all my automatic recurring accounts to the new Discover number.
What really intrigues me, is that the fraudster created a card and swiped it for the charge.

Arrgh! My Discover card just got a fraudulent charge. The person used a card in a swiped transaction at a store several states away. Discover fraud alert denied the charge, notified me through email and text (my account settings) requesting my approval/denial. I've had the same Discover account for over 20 years with no issues but Discover has cancelled that card and will provide a new account/card. I guess my luck has finally run out and I've got to change all my automatic recurring accounts to the new Discover number.
What really intrigues me, is that the fraudster created a card and swiped it for the charge.

Perhaps consider creating a separate card just for recurring charges, so you don't have to reset at every fraud instance.

Perhaps consider creating a separate card just for recurring charges, so you don't have to reset at every fraud instance.

Thanks, and based upon this thread, I've considered it and will do that if fraud reoccurs. My luck of 20 years and diligence/awareness with card usage has served me well. Also, I like the cash back bonus on all charges (recurring too) on a single card.

I use Capital One's ENO system. Each recurring charge (Netflix for example) has its own charge number. They all show up on the monthly bill like they were the same number (which they ultimately are). If one of the recurring charge numbers is compromized I delete it and create a new one. All of the other numbers, including the 'real' number on the card can stay the same. EZPZ.

or have the recurring charges debited from a bank account.

I am not a fan of this concept.
If one has their CC exposed, then there is a procedure in place to recover it.
If one has their bank account raided, I am not sure one would be able to recover the monies.
Same reason that I never use a debit card to pay anything, only as an ATM withdrawal.

If one has their bank account raided, I am not sure one would be able to recover the monies.
Same reason that I never use a debit card to pay anything, only as an ATM withdrawal.

I agree with the above. I use a Citi credit card for basically everything. I have a a second card for foreign travel and as a backup. On two occasions, I've had to change the number due to credit card fraud. They seem to be very good at catching the fraud. Using a credit card, one is only liable for $50 maximum for a fraudulent charge.

We only use the ATM to deposit checks to the account, and occasionally get some cash. Never use the debit card to pay for anything.

You probably would get your money returned to your bank account, but it can take a long time. Which is why we don't have our bank account tied to anything other than our federal income tax filings. Heck, we don't have our checking and savings tied together for overdraft protection in the event someone does hack our checking account.

You probably would get your money returned to your bank account, but it can take a long time. Which is why we don't have our bank account tied to anything other than our federal income tax filings. Heck, we don't have our checking and savings tied together for overdraft protection in the event someone does hack our checking account.

Same thing with us with the overdraft non link.
However, our larger savings account is in a bank where we don't even maintain a checking account.

We have had our credit card hacked about four times over 20 years or more.

We put everything we can on the credit card. Very seldom use our debit card-which has never been hacked. We do lots of on line shopping. I have had the same $60.cash in my wallet since mid January.

We use one card for foreign transactions. A few months in SE Asia in winter and a few months in Europe in the fall. Use is as often as we can unless there is a discount for cash or a premium for using the card. Never, ever had this card hacked. All kinds of tap and go transactions and on line air and hotel transactions in many countries.

But....we never let the card out of our sight. In Europe that often means going up to the bar and using the static terminal at the cash....no many hand helds where were were last fall.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom