Cruise to Hawaii, how to skip excursions?

BlueberryPie

Recycles dryer sheets
We're taking a cruise to Hawaii in December. Honolulu, Nawiliwili (Kauai), Lahaina (Maui), Hilo.

We'd like to keep the budget in check and it seems that we should be able to explore and do things on our own rather than do cruise excursions. We're aware of the fact that th ship will only wait for you if you are on a cruise-sanctioned excursion, but we're not taking about taking a trip hours deep in the jungle in a third-world country here.
For anyone familiar with Hawaii, is there anything that you would recommend doing in each of those parts? We'd love to do something active (hiking, swimming) in at least one port of call. Similarly we would enjoy a local market (fruit, crafts...) at one location but not every time.

Check out snorkeling sites near your ports of call. Snorkeling can be outstanding on all the islands, depending on location. There isn't much in Kauai near Lihue, but a few miles north is Lydgate Park, which is a protected beach with a rock wall protecting you from the surf. Snorkeling there is super easy. Whale watching is spectacular in Maui December-February. Pacific Whale Foundation runs eco-tours and is an advocacy organization for marine life, and they are doing work to help Lahaina recover from the fire. We took their whale watching tour in 2017. On the Big Island, we kayaked around Coconut Island in Hilo Bay in January this year. The Liluokalani Gardens is a beautiful park along Hilo Bay.

You can arrange tours not affiliated with the cruise that could save you money. Volcanoes National Park isn't too far from Hilo, but it's not that interesting now that Kilauea isn't erupting most of the time.

Check out Tom Barefoot for ideas:

https://tombarefoot.com/

You certainly can go on your own, just be sure to be back to get on the ship in time.

In Honolulu, you could swim at Wakki Beach (you could walk or taxi to the beach from the port dock). Maybe you could arrange surfing lessons ahead of time?
Or you could hike up the trail at Diamond Head which overlooks the city and surrounding oceans. It is farther from the ship port , but even buses are plentiful and cheap, and would drop you off at the bottom of the driveway. (you just walk up the driveway, through the tunnel , and pay small fee (in 2012 it was $1 pp for walk-ins) to hike up the path and tunnels to the top. (carry water with you).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Head,_Hawaii

I live on the Big Island but on the Kona side not Hilo. Most tour operators are familiar with th eneed to get you back to your boat on time. I would contact local operators for whatever interests you to see what they can offer.

Around Hilo I don't suggest ocean activities but a hike through Kilauea Iki in Hawaiian Volcanos National Park would be totally doable in a day including stops at the summit caldera and Thurston lava tube. You may even have time for a walk around Hilo town and visit to the farmers market or Liliuokalani Gardens depending on timing. I know you said you are trying to save money but hiring a private guide through something like getyourguide might let you see more at only a small extra cost.

we're not taking about taking a trip hours deep in the jungle in a third-world country here.

I live in Hawaii. It is in many ways like a third world country. And much of the islands are deep jungle. So you almost literally are talking about hours deep in the jungle in a third world country!

I don't think it is anything you should worry about on a short cruise stop. But just yesterday I experienced a 2 hour delay getting to work because of rocks washed onto the road from a rainstorm and delays in the county cleaning it up. This is very common, at least a couple of times a week somewhere on the island. We keep in our cars a kit to camp out overnight if needed (we is me and my partner, likely not most Hawaii residents). A little over a year ago she was delayed 7 hours coming home from w*rk and brought home a friend and a stranger for a sleepover! So yeah, we're not like the mainland!

On Kauai, see if it is possible to visit Waimea Canyon in the time you have.

Last edited:
for most ports, you can find local excursion places (online, in advance) and they will coordinate your port/boat times. But you can also for sure do your own thing.

The forums on Cruisecritic.com are good for finding recommendations of locally-run tours. Many choose that option.

Hawaii is the easiest place ever. You book rental cars in each port. It's not like foreign countries, where car rentals are a federal case...it takes 10 minutes and you're on your way. You can often just walk to the rental place, but if not, you can get an Uber.

Best snorkeling site: Molokini Crater. That was my bucket list destination when I was a scuba diver. Never got to go as a diver (for medical reasons had to quit diving) but I did snorkel there and it was absolutely glorious.

How much time do you have at your ports of call? Figuring things out, getting a car, driving and navigating will take up a lot of your time. Alternately, pay the money and ride on the Roberts bus and enjoy the scenery on the way.

Our first trip to Oahu, we took the very first flight to Big Island in the morning and the last one back that evening. We spent a day in a rental car driving as far as we could around the Island. At age 28, we were exhausted by trips end. There really was no time for any activities. Everything on Big Island is really spread out. On Oahu, you could do Hanauma Bay snorkeling, but you need to get there (rental car?? a dozen miles through town and during rush hour??) or do a separate - no cruise ship - "tour" etc. IIRC you now need to get reservations for it these days.

Honestly, I'd just do the cruise ship excursions since you don't know the lay of the land. THEY will take care of all the up front stuff (like tickets to the Arizona Memorial or Hanauma Bay or whatever.) Yeah, it's expensive, but if you mess up your on-the-cheap substitute, you're gonna have to buy an air ticket to the next port of call and you haven't saved a dime.

Given my choice, I'd save the cost of a cruise and stay in hotels on maybe two Islands over 10 to 20 days. THEN take the excursions offered on Island - or if adventurous, rent a car and do your own tours. The ship is kinda neat and you have your stuff with you and your transpo between Islands is handled - but you'll be rushed and it will very much depend on your travel skills to "do it yourself."

LOTs of good travel books out there on Hawaii (I like a series for each Island by Doughty) with titles like "Oahu Revealed" - https://www.amazon.com/Oahu-Reveale...MIno7Uj7CVhQMVyg2tBh16ag5aEAQYASABEgIdQvD_BwE

Have fun and feel free to ask us locals questions about specifics. Aloha.

The forums on Cruisecritic.com are good for finding recommendations of locally-run tours. Many choose that option.
I have used Cruisecritic several times with excellent results. Lots of good information and many people are looking for additional folks to reach a minimum quota. Every tour was much better than what was offered by the ship and the group was never more than 8 people often in a new Mercedes van. They were also quite a bit cheaper.

+1 on cruise critic for review.
Hawaii is beautiful, enjoy your trip!

We did that cruise in 2018. . We also on Oahu and Maui for our son's wedding in 2011
I have attached the stories.

Attachments

• HAWAIIAN CRUISE 2018.pdf
    681.6 KB · Views: 15
  • hawaii wedding 2011.pdf
    865.5 KB · Views: 14
We just did that Hawaii cruise in December 2023, we loved it.

We flew in one day before and booked hotel for one night at Waikiki beach, it is short ride on Uber and just spend evening walking around.

Next day took Uber to the port - got very interesting conversation with driver about the Honolulu history, all for the cost of tips :)

On the cruise first stop was at Maui, ship stayed there for 2 days, we booked car at the airport for both days, took Uber to the airport and back. For the first day we went to drive on road to Hana - there is so much to see. You can look online for maps and itinerary, we got one with guided tour from Guide Along - it cost us like $15 , guided us through all points of interests and we learned so much about Maui history. There are tons of waterfalls, botanical gardens, view points and beaches with huge turtles. Only thing is - we should turn around earlier than we did as returning after dark was not much fun on narrow mountain road with a lot of one line bridges.
We dropped our car near the port at grocery store parking lot overnight and went next day to the Haleakala National Park to see volcano crater. We saw people on the buses from our ship there, rushed through view points, and we took our time and enjoyed our visit there at our own pace.

Next stop was at Big Island at Hilo, we bought excursion from the cruise, went to see volcanos which was great as we get to walk through forest and on the rim of the crater, then went to the view point of volcano crater that was getting active. After that they took us to some random hotel on the beach for mediocre shopping. All was about 4 hours but twice as expensive as we spend for 2 days renting car on Maui.

Next day was at Kona on the other side of Big Island, we also got expensive tour through the ship but is got canceled. So we just walk at the city, they had there great farmers market and we got some wonderful papayas, mangoes and pineapples there to take with us on the ship. And then we took the trolley to see little bit more of the city. It was good relaxing day.

Next stop was on Kauai - we found local tour guide. We booked private tour that was absolutely wonderful. Lady picked us up at the pier in her car and was driving us all over the island. It was the highlight of the whole trip, she asked us what we like to see and we said - all of it :) It was 2 of us and guide for 8 hours. that day we made best pictures and actually got the feel of the Hawaii. It cost us like $700 but they charge flat fee for the group, and car is a minivan, so if you find someone to share the tour - it is not that expensive per person, considering amount of time and that tour is tailored for your interests and your speed, second day there we just walked to the beach near the the port, was lucky to swim with large turtles there.

Returned back to Honolulu and stayed overnight at the same hotel there. After checking in in hotel went to see Pearl Harbor memorial, very interesting but kind of expensive. In the morning we went on the trolley - highly recommend blue line $30/person that goes along coast line. Breathtaking views !!! and tour is guided And then again took Uber to the airport and flew home. So If we would do it again - I would not take cruise tours on the Big island but may be look for some local tours instead.

Hope our experience will give you some ideas.

Returned back to Honolulu and stayed overnight at the same hotel there. After checking in in hotel went to see Pearl Harbor memorial, very interesting but kind of expensive. In the morning we went on the trolley - highly recommend blue line $30/person that goes along coast line. Breathtaking views !!! and tour is guided And then again took Uber to the airport and flew home. So If we would do it again - I would not take cruise tours on the Big island but may be look for some local tours instead.

Hope our experience will give you some ideas.
Just to put a fine point on it: The Pearl Harbor memorial is "free" (IIRC, tickets are free but reserving them is $1.50 each. Sort of a "ticket-master" kind of fee.) Guessing you paid for a "bus" or trolley to the memorial. You can take THE BUS to Pearl Harbor memorial from just about any place in Waikiki. IIRC it's $3.00 one way (just ask the driver which connecting THE BUS to take from Ala Moana transfer station.)

If you’ve already been to the Arizona Memorial on Oahu, you should check out the Battleship Missouri ($35 per person) - well worth the money. The ship is beautifully restored, which you can explore on your own - it’s well laid out. There is a guided tour of the signing deck, explaining how the end of WW II took place on this ship.

The snorkeling in Lahaina is fantastic - better than the other islands in my opinion.

If you’ve already been to the Arizona Memorial on Oahu, you should check out the Battleship Missouri ($35 per person) - well worth the money. The ship is beautifully restored, which you can explore on your own - it’s well laid out. There is a guided tour of the signing deck, explaining how the end of WW II took place on this ship.

The snorkeling in Lahaina is fantastic - better than the other islands in my opinion.
We got to go free on a kamaaina day years ago. LOTs of walking but well worth the effort.

Near the Arizona is also the USS Bowfin submarine which can be toured (I think the price is $22.)

On Ford Island is also the Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum. Tickets are $26 I think. It ain't Wright-Patterson but it's kinda cool. The main building still has bullet holes from the Dec. 7th attack.

Lots of history inside one square mile of Pearl Harbor. Any history buffs should take a whole day in the area. Everyone should visit the Arizona Memorial.

I've been to the Arizona Memorial years ago. I was affiliated with the University of Arizona for most of my life one way or another. The UA has the ship's bell and china. I've eaten off the china and heard the bell rung at least dozens of times.

Since I moved to Hawaii I've gotten interested in WWII in the Pacific history, partly because there are so many minor local sites and personal stories from my partner's family. We are going to Saipan in June for her high school reunion and will be going to Tinian as well. the capture of Saipan is less well known but probably more important than D-Day. It put the US Army Air Forces within B-29 bomber range of the Japanese home islands. Saipan was captured in June 1944 and Tinian and Guam followed shortly. The airport on Tinian that the Seebees expanded became the largest and busiest airport in the world and is where the Tokyo fire bombings and both atomic bomb flights were launched from.

Visiting the Missouri is on my short list. My understanding that there are several special tours you can take including the guns. There are great youtube videos of the surrender

On Maui, just go a little north along the coast to Kaanapali. All the hotels have lounge chairs on the beach and lots of little bars and restaurants to check out. Ask any Uber driver to take you to Whaler's Village and start walking North from there to Black Rock where every evening at sunset they have a conch ceremony. The hotels and condos have beautiful gardens and many attractions including a luau at Kaanapali Beach Resort that is free for the price of a drink every night. Get your snorkel gear off Amazon and avoid renting if possible. Plenty cheap enough.
If you really want to put on the dog, make reservations for Mama's Fish House. It's a drive from the port, but a once-in-a-lifetime dining experience.

Visiting the Missouri is on my short list. My understanding that there are several special tours you can take including the guns. There are great youtube videos of the surrender
What I recall of the Missouri tour is that, large as the ship is, the crew quarters weren't much larger than those on a submarine.

The mechanical computers on the ship (which aimed the big guns) were fascinating. I had no idea how aiming and ranging was done.

December, January, and February are the high months for whale watching. Maui is the best location for this. I recommend PacWhale Eco Adventures, which is a nonprofit started in 1980 to save humpback whales from extinction.

Kauai is a small island, but the traffic can be difficult since there is only one main road around the island (not all the way around). But there are many things one can do in a day if you have a car:

Waimea Canyon
Poipu Beach-I understand the turtles now take over the beach at night
Kilauea Lighthouse (also a wildlife sanctuary)
Backcountry Tubing through canals and tunnels built by the sugar cane industry

On our Hawaii trip over Christmas and New Years a few months ago, we spent a few days in Hilo. The Hawaiian Tropical Botanical Garden is near Hilo and it's a wonderful self-guided walking tour. A kayaking tour around Hilo Bay and Coconut Island was a nice workout and we saw some turtles. It took about two hours.

tombarefoot.com is a useful resource to see what tours there are, but often you can find a few things to do on your own.

On Maui, just go a little north along the coast to Kaanapali. All the hotels have lounge chairs on the beach and lots of little bars and restaurants to check out. Ask any Uber driver to take you to Whaler's Village and start walking North from there to Black Rock where every evening at sunset they have a conch ceremony. The hotels and condos have beautiful gardens and many attractions including a luau at Kaanapali Beach Resort that is free for the price of a drink every night. Get your snorkel gear off Amazon and avoid renting if possible. Plenty cheap enough.
If you really want to put on the dog, make reservations for Mama's Fish House. It's a drive from the port, but a once-in-a-lifetime dining experience.
Are the cruise ships still stopping in Maui? If so, have they switched to Kahalui or are they still stopping in Lahaina? Lahaina is all but gone!

I'm only asking because cruise ships have become a LOT more frequent in Kona and I just assumed they were swapping Lahaina stops with more time in Kona. We used to get a ship every Wednesday (NCL) and then occasionally others, maybe once or twice a month. Since last fall we seem to have a ship at least 3 days per week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom