Custodial Roth IRA for Teenager?

Lots of simply inaccurate tax information above.

OP, contact Schwab (or wherever you plan to open the custodial Roth IRA for their requirements). It's been a while, but it's the standard stuff that you would expect and would have on hand: name/address/DOB/SSN of the kid, and of course the opening deposit - a check from the parent brought to the local office is what I did, but you can open the account then mail a check as well.

On tax stuff:

Earned income (by teens or anyone else) is generally taxable income and qualifies for Roth contributions. Even if there is no 1099. Even if there is no W-2. Even if it is not reported on a tax return. (Even if, in fact, the source of the income is illegal.)

1099s are only required to be filed if the employer pays the contractor more than $600 in a year. Less than $600 means no reporting requirement. W-2s are required if the person is an employee and earns even $1 in a year.

I don't recall but there may be an exception to the W-2 and/or 1099 reporting if the employer/employee relationship is also a parent/child relationship.

Tax returns are only required if the person meets the requirements in the Form 1040 instructions. For teenagers, who are usually tax dependents, this means reading Charts B and C. (If a teenager is not a tax dependent, then they would read charts A and C.) If none of the situations apply, a tax return is not required.

It is possible and even somewhat common with teenagers for them to receive W-2 and 1099-INT income but not have a tax return filing requirement. This is because the requirements for these things do not line up with each other. The IRS knows this and is completely nonplussed if they receive a W-2 or 1099-INT for a small amount and do not receive a matching tax return.

A teenager *may* file an income tax return even if they are not required to. But it certainly isn't necessary to "prove" income to the IRS in order to make a Roth contribution - even the IRS link cited above by TheCosmicAvenger agrees with what I've written and not TCAs subsequent comment if you read it carefully.

The only reasons I can think of that a teenager would file an optional tax return is (a) to get W-2 withholding refunded to them if they had no tax liability, (b) to claim any federal tax credit, such as EITC, AOTC, RSCC, etc., or (rarely) (c) to prevent IRS tax fraud on their SSN.

It is wise, as has been mentioned several times, for teenagers to keep a contemporaneous (heh) earnings log. This is not strictly required, but is only necessary in the extraordinarily unlikely event that the IRS comes along and asks the teen to justify their $400 Roth IRA contribution when they were 15 or whatever. If they can't find or do not have an earnings log, it is theoretically possible that the IRS could disallow the contribution and require the teen to (probably) withdraw the contribution plus applicable earnings and then pay taxes (and maybe a 10% penalty) on the earnings.

I've never heard of any IRS audits of teenage Roth IRA contributions, and as a practical matter, they never would - the amounts of additional tax revenue are likely to be small enough to not be worth it. However, I do encourage everyone to comply with all applicable tax laws.

I don't think your son will qualify for Roth. He needs to have a 1099 or W2 to show proof of income.
That's not a requirement.

What is a requirement for someone receiving that much earned income (I'm assuming it is other people - not his parents - paying the cash) is to file and pay self-employment tax. That requirement is independent of whether he makes a Roth contribution.

The self-employment income claimed (minus 1/2 of the SE tax) will suffice to support his Roth contribution for all but the most detailed audit. By "most detailed" I mean the IRS asking his customers "did you pay this boy this amount?" That remains a legitimate source of earned income, once the IRS is satisfied. Also, I'd put the odds of such an audit in the same ballpark with Pelosi and Trump divorcing their current spouses and marrying each other.

That's not a requirement.

What is a requirement for someone receiving that much earned income (I'm assuming it is other people - not his parents - paying the cash) is to file and pay self-employment tax. That requirement is independent of whether he makes a Roth contribution.

The self-employment income claimed (minus 1/2 of the SE tax) will suffice to support his Roth contribution for all but the most detailed audit. By "most detailed" I mean the IRS asking his customers "did you pay this boy this amount?" That remains a legitimate source of earned income, once the IRS is satisfied. Also, I'd put the odds of such an audit in the same ballpark with Pelosi and Trump divorcing their current spouses and marrying each other.

You are right. I worded it poorly. What I meant is that the son needs to show proof of earned income by filing taxes. Unreported "under table" money does not qualify for Roth contribution.

What a thought... Pelosi marrying Trump. Mm...

I don't think your son will qualify for Roth. He needs to have a 1099 or W2 to show proof of income.

The best proof on income is to file a federal income tax return. If your son's income is from odd jobs, he would be considered self employed. If his income is greater than $400 per year, he is required to file a federal income tax return. See IRS Pub 501, Table 3.

What I meant is that the son needs to show proof of earned income by filing taxes. Unreported "under table" money does not qualify for Roth contribution.

Nope and nope.

Filing taxes is not required to prove income.

Under the table money, assuming it is earned income, qualifies for Roth contributions. If enough such income is received that the filing requirements are met, it of course should be reported on a tax return. And if enough such income generates a tax liability, that tax liability should be paid.

Nope and nope.

Filing taxes is not required to prove income.

Under the table money, assuming it is earned income, qualifies for Roth contributions. If enough such income is received that the filing requirements are met, it of course should be reported on a tax return. And if enough such income generates a tax liability, that tax liability should be paid.

But if you want to fund Roth, don't you need to file income tax?

The best proof on income is to file a federal income tax return. If your son's income is from odd jobs, he would be considered self employed. If his income is greater than $400 per year, he is required to file a federal income tax return. See IRS Pub 501, Table 3.

If his net self-employment income (meaning after business expenses) is greater than $400 per year, he meets the filing requirement.

Limits for W-2 income and unearned income differ from the $400 limit and are generally higher.

Of course, most teenage work (lawn mowing, babysitting, tutoring, etc.) is generally self employment income, and there is usually not much to deduct.

The only reasons I can think of that a teenager would file an optional tax return is (a) to get W-2 withholding refunded to them if they had no tax liability, (b) to claim any federal tax credit, such as EITC, AOTC, RSCC, etc., or (rarely) (c) to prevent IRS tax fraud on their SSN.

It is wise, as has been mentioned several times, for teenagers to keep a contemporaneous (heh) earnings log. This is not strictly required, but is only necessary in the extraordinarily unlikely event that the IRS comes along and asks the teen to justify their $400 Roth IRA contribution when they were 15 or whatever. If they can't find or do not have an earnings log, it is theoretically possible that the IRS could disallow the contribution and require the teen to (probably) withdraw the contribution plus applicable earnings and then pay taxes (and maybe a 10% penalty) on the earnings.

One more reason for "self-employed" teenagers to file tax return and report their self employment net income: if they earn over a certain amount they owe SS tax on their net profits. And their start earning SS credits in their SS work history.

As to IRS audits or disallowance of IRA contributions by the IRS, isn't it small price to pay to just go ahead and file tax returns on earnings just so IRS doesn't have some loose unexplained ends that might set off some trigger happy IRS agent? Besides, this is a perfect opportunity to introduce teens to the real world of tax obligations and tax return filing and how the real world system works.

One more reason for "self-employed" teenagers to file tax return and report their self employment net income: if they earn over a certain amount they owe SS tax on their net profits. And their start earning SS credits in their SS work history.

If you read what I wrote carefully, you'll notice I used the word "optional". In the scenario you described, that filing would be required, not optional. And yes, they would start their SS record with those earnings and SE taxes.

As to IRS audits or disallowance of IRA contributions by the IRS, isn't it small price to pay to just go ahead and file tax returns on earnings just so IRS doesn't have some loose unexplained ends that might set off some trigger happy IRS agent? Besides, this is a perfect opportunity to introduce teens to the real world of tax obligations and tax return filing and how the real world system works.

Maybe. Filing a tax return is a hassle and costs time and effort even if not much money. There are few people who enjoy filing their taxes enough to where if they didn't have to, they wouldn't.

As mentioned before, the IRS doesn't go looking for unexplained loose ends, because there is an explanation: The teenager earned enough to put money into a Roth, but not enough to file a return. The IRS knows perfectly well that there are differences in the requirements for Roth contributions differ from the requirements for filing a return, so if one happens without the other, they are simply not going to look into it. Additionally, of course, the IRS has much more pressing and valuable things on their hands, so they're going to prioritize auditing Peter Thiel over my teenager. (Again, not that that's any excuse to not comply with tax law. File and pay all your required taxes.)

I do agree with your last point about it being a good introduction to taxes and how things work in the real world. I've been sitting down with my offspring for the past several years to go over their income tax situation. Every year I work to have them know and understand more and have me involved less. In a few years they'll all be able to both competently prepare and file their own taxes, understand all the numbers on the return, and further, be able to do competent and reasonable tax planning to optimize their tax liabilities.

My youngest and I went through their 2020 tax situation and went as far as preparing the return completely. However, there was no filing requirement. I informed them of the pros and cons of filing vs. not filing; they elected not to file. I believe they also made a 2020 Roth conversion. What we did do was package it all together (including the non-filed 1040, and all the supporting documents and paperwork including the rationale for not filing) in an electronic folder, which I zipped up and emailed to them for their records. I also kept a copy. They got the education without the filing part.

Last edited:
Maybe. Filing a tax return is a hassle and costs time and effort even if not much money. There are few people who enjoy filing their taxes enough to where if they didn't have to, they wouldn't.

I do agree with your last point about it being a good introduction to taxes and how things work in the real world. ............. In a few years they'll all be able to both competently prepare and file their own taxes, understand all the numbers on the return, and further, be able to do competent and reasonable tax planning to optimize their tax liabilities............

Bingo. Teens especially "should" file. For the education. At the same time it provides some assurance by tying up loose ends for that trigger happy IRS agent wishing nothing more than to disallow at the very start someone's IRA tax shelter, before it barely gets off the ground.

Back
Top Bottom