Define Retirement Success

You don't work, but you can still eat.

Ah, someone else beside me with low expectations... :LOL:

When I read the title, this promptly came to mind:

"Three hots and a cot"

Yes, it's a bit more complicated than that, but that is the foundation upon which all of the other things to be done in retirement are built.

All these responses are wonderful. It's like a gratitude journal.

I'll add a couple I don't think I've seen.

I used to sit and stare out my office window and wonder what my dog was doing. Now all I have to do is turn my head both ways and I can guarantee he's within my line of sight. I love the fact that he has as much freedom now as we do.

And I love being able to go to the grocery store during the day when it isn't crowded.

Saving/investing enough to be able to choose what I want to do and live the lifestyle I desire, without having to work or be dependent on others.

I work at building my house most every day, but I am quite fond of telling folks that wonder why it is taking so long that the paycheck is the same whether I work hard or not hardly at all. :)

Enough in assets to feel safe in your time horizon
Freedom to do and go anything/anywhere you want
Have the love and closeness of family
Health, and healthcare under your own control
A plan for the later years
You own "possible" bucket list
Social comfort, as you wish it to be
Your dream home base
Physical objects, house, car, belongings that avoid "want"
..................................................................................................

Based on the above responses, and obvious disinterest, I am asking Moderators to delete this thread.

I am glad you started the thread (as usual!)

I think I would only add to your list some "spiritual connection" or "bigger than yourself" connection. This doesn't mean necessarily a "religious" connection though it could be. I know folks who are quite contented, for instance, by "giving back" - basically an unselfish 'streak' that gives them great pleasure. It would be different for all of us so YMMV.

Being able to do what I want, when I want, with whomever I want is my go to answer.

But what really hit home was when DW asks to re-tile the outdoor kitchen AND fly first class to Honolulu for the summer vacation and being able to reply "yes" without even asking the dollar amounts.

Just another confirmation that we successfully retired is when our only arguments involve what to do with the extra money every month.

My mother lived the perfect retirement--living 40' from a major lake with a 6 mile sunset view for 25 years.

When she passed, she was down to a one month supply of cash. That's successful retirement.

Retirement is the freedom to work my way though the cliched bucket list at my own pace without the distraction of real responsibilities.

I guess sitting around binging on Netflix is not my thing.

I think I would only add to your list some "spiritual connection" or "bigger than yourself" connection. This doesn't mean necessarily a "religious" connection though it could be. I know folks who are quite contented, for instance, by "giving back" - basically an unselfish 'streak' that gives them great pleasure. It would be different for all of us so YMMV.

Thanks... I'll add that... well said. "Giving back" is really satisfying. It's sharing what you/we have. I think of it as a "plug" to fill in the feeling of belonging and doing the job that was part of your pre-retirement life. We need others.

Last edited:
Interests galore and the resources to indulge in at least some of them;
The physical and mental health to fully participate in the interests I have the money to indulge in;
People to love;
Service to perform;
Enough house to indulge in interests, but not too much to be a burden;
Plenty of time in nature;
Just enough stress to raise my pulse now and then;
Multiple times per day stopping and saying to myself: I am so damn lucky.

One word: Freedom

Freedom in financial matters
Freedom in social matters
Freedom to "give back" or not. My choice

Shrug... Your mileage may vary

I'm not retired yet and can't wait, but there is one thing that makes me nervous about forgetting what day it is:

What if I pop into the commute lane thinking that it is the weekend but it's not?

Maybe I better just avoid the commuter lane when I retire.

You just quickly learn to avoid the commuter lane at rush hour.

25 years. Posting here a lot and

:dance: :dance: :D :LOL: :facepalm: :greetings10:

heh heh heh - oh and still kicking. ;)

Wow 45, that"s impressive! I will retire Nov 2020 at 57. Fully paid my 3 kids college, cars and than some, last son in medical school. Next year its all about me and the wife, very glad to join you and the group:cool: Stay well!
LOL that's on my signature line! That's okay, you can use it too. :)

Like many other posters, freedom and flexibility.

Focusing on "being", not "doing". Amazing how people cannot avoid talking about "doing"--a clear sign of the rat race mentality, which runs through all our institutions (i.e. are you a "productive member of society, and a guilt trip to you if you're not.:facepalm:).

Other than the first few posts I can hardly say more than everyone else’s beautiful responses. I’m only semi retired right now ( 3 days a week) but for me it’s adjusting the balance of hobbies and work. Where I used to cram my hobbies in to 2 days and a few weeks of vacation they are now 60/40 with work. And I can’t wait until it’s 100% hobbies! As a not yet full retiree, your posts have been truly inspiring.

Like many other posters, freedom and flexibility.

Focusing on "being", not "doing". Amazing how people cannot avoid talking about "doing"--a clear sign of the rat race mentality, which runs through all our institutions (i.e. are you a "productive member of society, and a guilt trip to you if you're not.:facepalm:).

+1
Some days just doing nothing.....:dance:

I agree with so many of the posts. Morning time really brings it home for me. No alarm! Lay in bed!! Drink coffee and lay around for a long time if I want to. Then get on my with my day, doing (mostly) what I want. I too love to have our money working for us while we lounge around.

Everyone that has commented is my exact thoughts. LOL It is so beautiful to be able to be free as a butterfly.

Back
Top Bottom